My 2004 F150 XLT 4x4 coming back into life!

• HTML tutorial

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

This has been my work truck/play truck for years. Just ran through body and frame rust, then mechanicals and all still looking good! Next step was investing a bit in suspension and added the Bilstien 5100's and new coils up front. I will add a AAL to the rear once the camper back is built. Oh ya, I'm building a frame up camper on the back once I pull the bed off. I'll be back on the 33" tires once there. Should put me 1.5" over stock for body and 1.5" over stock for axle. Not huge, but all I need for what I do!

A Little preview of where I'm headed

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 4.28.44 PM.png

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
This has been my work truck/play truck for years. Just ran through body and frame rust, then mechanicals and all still looking good! Next step was investing a bit in suspension and added the Bilstien 5100's and new coils up front. I will add a AAL to the rear once the camper back is built. Oh ya, I'm building a frame up camper on the back once I pull the bed off. I'll be back on the 33" tires once there. Should put me 1.5" over stock for body and 1.5" over stock for axle. Not huge, but all I need for what I do!

A Little preview of where I'm headed

View attachment 140262
Awesome!

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Thank you! Awaiting a little warmer temps now to get back in the garage and continue...

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Temperatures are just teasing me right now. Yet has been warm enough to make some progress. Bed is now off and the cage is welded. Wheel wells and move on to closing the walls in. Still a way to go, but progress!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Temperatures are in my favor and progress is being made, again. Had to remove the cage to fiberglass/paint those areas at the cab. Gas filler mounted (still need to fill/sand), deck on (and coated) and wheel wells in progress. Feels good to be moving on this again!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Tried to pickup some more tube steel to at least box out the underside compartments, but... My supplier has stopped any pickup service for now. Just as my State is starting to open-up.. weird.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Another nice day to work on it a bit! 3 sides of the upper section is cut straight (over the cab left to do), side walls are glued in (ready to sand and some filler work) and sealed up the underside of the wheel wells.

Hoping today to finish yesterday's left over and get the rim glued in for the top.

If you folks work with foam, follow the advise I got and build one of these hot wire foam cutters. They are so cool!

. It's the weird looking 'U' shape wood thing!!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

A bit more progress and started prep'ing section for the roof!

Still need to finish epoxy work on the side sections (only one side done now), then mill them to size and rout the lip on them. Another day of prep, then I start actually making the roof!
View attachment IMG_1081.mov

Reactions: Downs

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

A little more progress!

The roof is built and dry fit!

Starting the back storage area

I have the Roof in the garage now and added a center support (east/west) and prepping for fiberglass.

Reactions: Downs

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

More progress has happened and will post a few pic's soon. The exterior is coming along and have moved to the rear storage compartments as the roof is being fiberglassed. My gaskets for the roof are here and the latches come in a few days which should be about right for timing.

My thoughts are going interior and need to make a final decision of keeping food cold. The refrigerator! Always though of just doing a upright 3 way frig so I could run on propane (which I like). I see many folks are using these electric chest style units and now am wondering if that's how to go.
Is there a propane style chest refrigerator?

Could use some advise on this. Pro's / Con's on either please.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Time for an update! With the roof in pace it was time to prototype the lift bracket (my H bracket) and give it a try. Hinged in the middle, it folds and extends nicely. I like!!

This only shows the back lifted, but the front will be as well.

Door went on the back entry and starting into shelf placement in the storage areas.

And best of all, it fits in the garage!!

My piano hinges and latches are coming in soon, so need to get busy on the storage doors and painting out the back. Material for the roof extension is on it's way and some sewing time is in my near future. It's getting closer all the time!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Full lift and working out the N/S support.

Probably both side to insure it works well. E/W is taken care of with the 'H' brackets.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hey, you folks haven't seen the rear with the hatches/doors in place!

Slam shut latches, trimmed and sealed! Now I can close off the bottom and not worry about rain getting in! Oh blue tape is holding the magnets in place till the glue dries.

Reactions: Raul B

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Been awhile and now out enjoying, returning and doing a bit more.. Life is good again!

A great rest/lunch spot on the way!

Rustic WMNF Campground. Nice view of Mt Osceola! We camped in that open area you can see.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm running through pic's and laughing, smiling and so happy to be this far!

Started with this.

Designed this:

Wondered what I got into with this:

Started building:

Started enclosing:

Built a roof, but didn't like the headroom entrance:

Figured out how to lift it:

Interior basic's:

And finally 'High and Dry' for camping and adventure! What a long strange trip it's been!