Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The time has come for me to start a thread on the progression of my 2019 TRD Off Road. I picked this up a few months ago, and have held off on starting a new thread until I had parts on hand. While I don't have everything I need I do have most of it, and the rest should be here within a month or so.

This will be my second 4runner build with my first being a 01 SR5 that I still have, and I blame that 4runner for the obsession that I now have.

Here's how it sits right now.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Upgrades & Modifications

Suspension
-Icon 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers 58747-700
-Icon 2.5 Rear Shocks 57810CP
-Icon Delta Joint Upper Control Arms
-Icon 3" Dual Rate Spring 52800
-eimkeith PCK
-OCD Forged Sway Bar Links
-Durobumps Bump Stops

Wheels & Tires
-Icon Rebound - Satin Black - 17x8.5 - 4.75" BS - 0mm OS
-Falken Wildpeak A/T3 - 285/70/17

Armor/Recovery
-Artec Venture Front Bumper
-Nguyen Works Rear Bumper w/Swingout
-RCI 20 Degree Sliders
-RCI Engine Skid
-RCI Transmission Skid
-RCI Gas Tank Skid
-Ironman Monster 9500 Winch
-Factor 55 Hawse Fairlead
-Factor 55 Flatlink
-Factor 55 Hitchlink 2.0

Exterior
-Prinsu 3/4 Roof Rack
-CVT Pioneer Awning 99"
-Caliraised Ditch Light Brackets
-OCD License Plate Holder (removable)
-AT Overland Propane Tank Holder
-PowerTrays Switch-Pro Mount
-Baja Designs Fog Light Shroud
-Meso Customs Hitchpod

Interior
-OCD Composite Drawer Unit w/Removeable Sleeping Deck
-Desert Does It Under Seat Compressor Mount

Electrical
-Switch-Pro SP9100
-ARB CKMA12
-Baja Designs SAE Amber (Fog Lights)
-Baja Designs S1 Amber (Roof Rack)
-Baja Designs S1 Clear (Backup)
-Baja Designs S2 Combo Amber (Ditch)
-KC RGB Rock Lights

Last edited:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the roof rack. I originally had a full-length rack that just didn't do the trick me since I've always been a half-rack kind of person. After a couple of weeks, I decided to pull the trigger on a 3/4" Prinsu and like the new look. In addition to the roof rack, I also added a 99" CVT awning to the driver side.

There's nothing special to note about the install of either one so I'm not going to touch on it.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

This will most likely be the most exciting part of the build for me. I've always been fascinated with building storage and sleeping platforms. I did a couple in my 3rd Gen, another in my old Rover, my work in progress van, and now my 5th Gen. Hopefully many more to come!

What you see here is just my prototype, and does need some fine-tuning. The top and bottom plates are made from 3/4" honeycomb with fiberglass faces. The drawers are made from 18mm Baltic Birch plywood that are CNC cut, and miter folded for a clean look. The honeycomb material is significantly lighter than plywood, and quite a bit stronger too. The top & bottom plates come in at just 14lbs each and the plywood equivalent weighs 37lbs each. Each drawer section weighs 37lbs, and each drawer weighs 33lbs. The drawers are on 36" full extension locking slides with a 300lb capacity. Stay tuned for a couple more updates on this platform as we test everything for the next few months.

AZcube

Rank I

Contributor III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Cross
Great build so far! Looking for ideas like this for my 5th gen. Are you building something to extend over the rear seats, when down? Look forward to next stage.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Great build so far! Looking for ideas like this for my 5th gen. Are you building something to extend over the rear seats, when down? Look forward to next stage.
There is a front section in the works right now. I'm hoping to have it off the CNC this week and installed in about 2 weeks.

Mike

beachtaco

Rank III

Contributor I

Virginia, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Bombase
Member #

the rear flat brackets, where are they bolted to on the 4runner? rear tie downs? any pics of just brackets themselves? BTW, looks great!

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

the rear flat brackets, where are they bolted to on the 4runner? rear tie downs? any pics of just brackets themselves? BTW, looks great!
No picture at the moment, but I can get one tonight. These were originally designed to bolt under the rear tie downs, but not anymore. The thickness of the material allowed for a decent gap between the interior panel, and the tie down cup. So I cut a little off the bracket, and now they're just held in by pressure. Even though they aren't bolted down the platform is still very solid in place, and I don't have any fear of it moving around. I'll have a new design for the bracket done next week, and that will be used moving forward. It'll be easier to install, and will installed without having to remove anything from the 4runner.

Mike

beachtaco

Rank III

Contributor I

Virginia, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Bombase
Member #

No picture at the moment, but I can get one tonight. These were originally designed to bolt under the rear tie downs, but not anymore. The thickness of the material allowed for a decent gap between the interior panel, and the tie down cup. So I cut a little off the bracket, and now they're just held in by pressure. Even though they aren't bolted down the platform is still very solid in place, and I don't have any fear of it moving around. I'll have a new design for the bracket done next week, and that will be used moving forward. It'll be easier to install, and will installed without having to remove anything from the 4runner.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I had the same issue with the tie down sticking up not to my liking. i'm still in the thought process for my 3rd drawer system in my 5th gen. i have plusnuts ready to be used to bolt down the platform to the body but looking forward to see what you do.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Here's the start of a quick update for what I have at the moment. I still have a lot of parts that need to be installed, but that has to wait until the rain is gone is a few months.

The suspension, new wheels and tires where the first large install on my 4runner. My original choice was King, but their lead time was around 16 weeks when I was looking to place an order. So I pulled the trigger on Icon since these I was able to find everything that I needed in stock.

For the front I went with the Icon 58747 remote resi with 700lb springs. I paired these with the Icon Delta UCA and OCD forged sway bar links. Sorry, but I didn't get pictures of the front.

For the rear I went with the Icon 57810CP remote resi with the Icon Overland 52800 dual rate springs. I also installed the eimkieth PCK, OCD forged sway bar links, and Durabumps all around.

I choose Icon Rebound wheels that are satin black, and are wrapped in Falken Wildpeak A/T3 285/70/17's. I have a thing for Falkens, and run them on every vehicle I own (minus the van).

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

The next small project was installing some RCI 20 degree sliders. I still need to install the gas tank, engine, and t-case skid plates once the rain stops in a few months.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

For the rear bumper I went with Nguyen Works rear bumper with a single swingout. I chose to go with the bumper that allowed me to keep the receiver hitch since I do tow from time to time. I also designed a bumper cover that really cleaned up the look of the receiver.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Over the past year or so I've had a few different drawer/sleeping systems in my 4runner. All of these have seen minor changes from design to design, and all allow me/you to keep the rear seats installed.

I have a 5th version in the works right now that will be pretty unique when it's complete. Not sure when I'll have it complete, but you can see it at PNW Overland Rally 2023.

1. This was my first attempt at making a composite platform.

2. Here's the first full unit with removeable sleeping deck. I ran this for about a year without any issues.

3. This is a full drawer/sleeping unit for a cargo tray.

4. Here's my current setup. This is a full composite drawer/sleeping unit with a topo wrap.