Moved to Death Valley (adventure thread)

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

With the hiring freeze lifted you should be able to find a new job on USAJOBS.gov pretty quick, now. Today, I was officially offered my new job in Denver, Colorado. Keep your head up and don't let the job get you down. We have a saying in the AF - "The worst assignment is the one you are at and the best is the one you just left". Of course, the Army has one too - "Embrace the suck".
Thanks and congratulations! I just keep trying. It will work out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I got promoted. Woo. More money and I now have free housing. I was able to negotiate a room change with a new roomate who's clean and not going to steal my stuff for drugs. So I might be able to stick this out a bit longer. I haven't decided what my first big adventure will be. I need to fix some over heating issues with the rig before I take her too far out.

I also just picked up a Nikon d3400. So I'm getting ready to take my photos to the next level.

sometimes it gets windy.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I was just out there for work last week. If you noticed a helicopter on Thursday flying around Stovepipe that was us. We had to hike in and the equipment was flown in. Just south of the dunes at a small microwave radio site.

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I was just out there for work last week. If you noticed a helicopter on Thursday flying around Stovepipe that was us. We had to hike in and the equipment was flown in. Just south of the dunes at a small microwave radio site.

That sounds pretty cool. If I remember right it was windy but not as hot that day. I was hiking up in the mountains and it was freezing and windy!

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Also checked out more places inside the park. The popular spots.
salt creek
badwater basin
Its hard to see but on there is a little white sign up on that wall that marks sea level. Badwater basin is the lowest point in North America.
devils golf course

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Also I have decided to leave Death Valley in August. So I'm sure I will plan a roadtrip. Next adventure. Moving to Englewood Florida.
Not as exciting but plenty of fishing.

Hopefully I can cross off all my Death Valley adventures by August. It's getting really hot here so i have to adjust my list. No more long hikes.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

[emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]☠☠[emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Work has been thought this week. Working outside in this heat drains your soul. Even when I'm inside for a little going in and out of that kind of heat wears you out!

I'm not sure why I thought it be fun to work in the hottest place on earth.

The record is 134 degrees. That was in 1913
With how things are going this week I wouldn't be surprised if we get there this summer.

I think I will plan my weekend in the mountains.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I understand your pain brother. Luckily when I work out there it's only for a few days at a time. I have been there when the temp was just a few degrees from the record. I was working at Cow Creek. Not good. Also the monsoon can bring flooding.

Reactions: Rogue Beardsman

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Starting to think out my move back to Florida. The plan is to buy and install a hitch so I can rent a uhaul trailer and move all my stuff to Florida. I've had a storage into in Utah for a while and it really does me no good 2500 miles away. I'm also getting tired of moving around so much without a home base. So I think its time I get one and not have to live half packed all the time.

Once I get to Florida I'll have a year to figure out my next part of the plan.

Also here are more pictures

https://www.instagram.com/roguebeardsman

Reactions: [DO]Ron