Mounting rtt to prinsu roof rack 4runner

• HTML tutorial

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I am at an absolute standstill. Has anyone done this before? There is very little clearance between the rack and the top of the roof which causes many issues with mounting the tent to the crossbars. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What I've read, is that when folks finally get the RTT mounted (with a lot of difficulty and shredded hands) is to remove the tent with the crossbars attached, then simply drop it in and put in the side bolts the next time. I know that doesn't help now, but if you can get the nuts snug, maybe lift the crossbars onto some 2X4s and tighten?

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

Thanks Steve, I am definitely going to leave it mounted to the bars for easier mounting in the future. I will post a pic later, but the hardware scraping the rooftop is my main concern. I have the screws cut off as short as possible with stock mounting hardware from Tepui, but they are still just mm away from the paint..... I am probably going to fab some L brackets to solve the issue.

Reactions: Steve

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Pics? Leave the inner screws pretty tight and then u just need to tighten the outer nuts. Once the crossbars on the bottom of the tent are mounted, they shouldn't come off. Since I'm not familiar with the rack, you might be able to add another set of crossbars like Yakima and then mount the tent crossbars the opposite.

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

Pics? Leave the inner screws pretty tight and then u just need to tighten the outer nuts. Once the crossbars on the bottom of the tent are mounted, they shouldn't come off. Since I'm not familiar with the rack, you might be able to add another set of crossbars like Yakima and then mount the tent crossbars the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

I know I am a little late on this but here is one of the brackets that I use for my RTT.. I had to come up with a better solution then trying to get them under the bars. it is some l brackes that I had laying around at work. I think they are 1/4 steel so plenty strong enough.

I use one of the slide bolts that comes with the tent in the rail, and have had no issues at all. works great and easy to remove the tent. I am currently out of the country on business but can take better pics when I return if you would like..

20171105_125316.jpg

Reactions: DCFISK and FJ81

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I dont have the rack but maybe loosen some bolts and re-tighten them with the tent on top. The bottom of the tent might also be rubbing on a slat. Check for clearance or any movement of the rack under load. If u can recreate the squeak, u can hold a long screwdriver to ur ear to isolate the offending slat.

Reactions: Jbroadventures