Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
eli
Last Name
kim
Member #

The mountain house chicken and rice is one of my favorites. Grab a few packets of tobasco from panera and you are golden. It definitely needs some sort of hot sauce. I used them backpacking but in my van I only keep one or two for those lazy days.

I like the chili mac, spaghetti, pasta primavera, and biscuits as well.

The knorrs pasta/rice bags w/ a can of tuna/spam/chicken is good as well. Same with the idahoan instant mashed potatoes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The knorrs pasta/rice bags w/ a can of tuna/spam/chicken is good as well. Same with the idahoan instant mashed potatoes.
yeah, thats the route i go. i have the freeze dried stuff for "emergency", like when a big hurricane hits, but its pretty pricey and i'd rather spend money on other things....most stuff we eat is full of crap ingredients and chemicals anyway, so i guess it doesn't really matter healthwise.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
The Chicken Teriyaki wasn't too bad compared to MREs from my time in the U.S. Air Force (long story). I was in Military Public Health so had to test MREs to extend shelf lives. Organoleptic testing FTW!

I sure hope MREs are better now than what they were in the early 90's.

Gary

Reactions: mrseth

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The Chicken Teriyaki wasn't too bad compared to MREs from my time in the U.S. Air Force (long story). I was in Military Public Health so had to test MREs to extend shelf lives. Organoleptic testing FTW!

I sure hope MREs are better now than what they were in the early 90's.

Gary
Very similar made by th3 same company. Incremental improcements over time. Ive been eating them since the late 80s. My dad was Army Infantry then I decided to become a Marine so ive had quite a few MREs in my life haha

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

The mountain house chicken and rice is one of my favorites. Grab a few packets of tobasco from panera and you are golden. It definitely needs some sort of hot sauce. I used them backpacking but in my van I only keep one or two for those lazy days.

I like the chili mac, spaghetti, pasta primavera, and biscuits as well.

hands down, chili mac is my fave

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The Mountain House flavors have definitely improved over the years. The granola with blueberry is a great breakfast for me and i like the spaghetti. I have some at home for the zombie apocalypse and they are great for saving weight when backpacking but they are definitely not healthy. Same with the Knorrs stuff, way to many ingredients I cannot pronounce.

For about the same price I can pick up some dried salami, hard cheese, and crackers or pilot biscuits. Wilderness Charcuterie is always a win.

Reactions: grubworm

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Biscuits and Gravy is my fav. Sometimes I eat one at home if I dont feel like cooking. We keep around 20-25 in our emergency hurricane supplies. Great product.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Never ate a mre style meal that i cared for they always taste powdery and hurt coming out the other end. When i camp we usually have some venison/pork sausages they will keep for a while even after ice starts melting and taste a ton better especially cooled in butter and a little vodka.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Pricey and over processed is my feeling. Prep your own at home when time is a consideration and cook your favorites when it's not.

elizer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
eli
Last Name
kim
Member #

Ive made my own dehydrated backpacking meals. It requires too much time/fuel to get it back to edible state when backpacking, but could be a good solution for overlanding.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

People, you don't live on these for weeks at a time, you keep them for emergency stores and convenience when traveling in remote places. Is fresh, healthy food better? Well, duh. But MH fills a need and a belly and most of us can eat these on occasion and survive just fine.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
People, you don't live on these for weeks at a time, you keep them for emergency stores and convenience when traveling in remote places. Is fresh, healthy food better? Well, duh. But MH fills a need and a belly and most of us can eat these on occasion and survive just fine.
I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Reactions: J.W.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Yesterday the wife, kid, and I took a short hike to the Nooksack River up above the snow line to play around. I took my Trangia cook kit and Mountain House beef stew. With a bit of Tobasco and salt it was really good.

I love wild cooking with fresh ingredients, but sometimes it just isn't feasible. Especially when you are in a couple feet of snow and a mile away from your rig.

Reactions: Wallygator

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

You needed SALT with a MH meal?!? That's probably the biggest complaint I've read with MH is their incredibly high salt content.

• Haha
Reactions: Downs

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I always keep several different Mountain House meals around for camping. They are very simple to prepare and have great taste too. Even my kids have like them, so they must be good. lol. Lightweight to carry is a plus, and virtually no clean up is also.