Mountain biking

• HTML tutorial

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
This is my human powered overland rig. :sunglasses: Anyone else in the group ever go bikepacking?

View attachment 79639
I love mountain biking, backpacking, and motorcycle camping. But bike packing has never appealed to me for some odd reason. I think I fear I would lose too much playfulness on the bike and it would feel to much like work instead of a mountain bike ride.

Booker

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Valrico FL
Member #

I love mountain biking, backpacking, and motorcycle camping. But bike packing has never appealed to me for some odd reason. I think I fear I would lose too much playfulness on the bike and it would feel to much like work instead of a mountain bike ride.
Yeah, you're not going to whip it around like an unloaded bike, but once you get used to the weight and how it handles you can ride pretty much anything.

kootsfrontier

Rank 0

Traveler I

My biggest problem with Bike Packing is the time. My kids are not at the age where they would enjoy it, and my wife will not either. If I have enough time off to go anywhere interesting, I prefer to take the family in the rig, that way we get to do some family time. As the kids get older I hope to get back into it.

kootsfrontier

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain biking is actually what brought me to this forum. We're planning a 17 day trip out west to ride and I needed to get my truck set up for long term camping/adventuring. Going to hit up Sedona, White Mesa, and maybe Moab if the weather holds out. View attachment 78218
Excellent areas to ride. Lots of options. I head down that way at least twice a year. 18Hours from here to Moab, but always worth the drive.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Anyone ride an e-bike?
I'll be receiving a Fezzari Wire Peak Elite for review this week or next. I've ridden a Focus Jam2 Pro Plus a few times in Tahoe and was hooked! I'm super excited to review one on my local trails.

I have one lung so long pedaling sufferfests are not my thing. My fiance races enduro but has a bad knee so when it flares up she has a hard time pedaling so an ebike allows her to ride for fun and train without killing her knee.

Reactions: Rexplorer

Jakeapclyps

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Gordo
This is my human powered overland rig. :sunglasses: Anyone else in the group ever go bikepacking?

View attachment 79639
Yes yes yes!!! I also make all sorts of stuff for bike packing and adventuring. Stoked to see other cyclists on here. Admittedly while I'd rather be full out mountain biking- bike packing has forced it's way into my hobby list over the past years.

Attachments

Reactions: Booker and JCWages

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Thanks for all the info so far. I will definitely avoid the box stores. I'm not wanting to spend more the 3 or 400. I hope to ride it through the nice months, but we all know how that goes. And thanks for the link to the forum. I'm going to troll Ebay and Craigslist.
Look at Pinkbike and MTBR.com as well. Lots of bikes for sale

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I used to mountain bike A LOT. Anymore I only have a road bike. Its stripped down, old school, and single speed, I love it. I have however decided to fit some cyclo cross tires and see how it does off road this summer, should be... interesting...lol.

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
I used to mountain bike A LOT. Anymore I only have a road bike. Its stripped down, old school, and single speed, I love it. I have however decided to fit some cyclo cross tires and see how it does off road this summer, should be... interesting...lol.
View attachment 90753
On the other hand, you do have rear suspension on this thing. I remember Tom Ritchey's aphorism: "Suspend the rider, not the bike!" Thomas Frischknecht won a bunch of World Cup races and championships on a FlexStem in the 90s.

But I do like your build. Fixies are great. And looking at today's MTBs with super slack angles, l-o-n-g top tubes and tiny stems, and handlebars a yard across, well, they all look so odd for a retro-grouch like me.

I did, however, switch to a 1x11 and am glad I did.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
On the other hand, you do have rear suspension on this thing. I remember Tom Ritchey's aphorism: "Suspend the rider, not the bike!" Thomas Frischknecht won a bunch of World Cup races and championships on a FlexStem in the 90s.

But I do like your build. Fixies are great. And looking at today's MTBs with super slack angles, l-o-n-g top tubes and tiny stems, and handlebars a yard across, well, they all look so odd for a retro-grouch like me.

I did, however, switch to a 1x11 and am glad I did.
So my bike has a flip flop hub, I usually run it with the free wheeling hub. I tried the fixie thing and didnt really dig it. As far as the saddle goes, its Brooks (as is the saddle bag). If you have not had the pleasure of riding on a Brooks saddle, you need to get one. With this one I dont even need to wear cycling shorts to be comfortable. But I will say I did get a pre weathered saddle as comfort was more of a concern than durability. But even then Brooks warnties these things for 5 years.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Santiago Oaks regional park, Irvine California

1B9A00DE-B4A2-43DF-ABDC-02F6A7602481.jpeg89B14729-430B-4E34-867E-4475EFF6A559.jpeg

Last edited: