Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I think for 99% of the population all the new bikes that have come out in the last few years are this way.
I'd reckon you're right.

Except owning and riding a super capable bike isn't about the bike being more capable than you. It's about ride feel and safety. If I rode a bike that was "my level" it would feel like crap and be unsafe on bad line choices on gnarly trails compared to a higher level bike. Better to "overbike" (more travel and better components) and ride something that best fits your riding style. That said, the difference between a $5,000 bike and an $8,ooo is pretty minimal but the difference between a $2,000 bike and a $4,000 bike is huge. The best bang for buck sweet spot is between $4k-$6k.

Unless you're an "always seated" type of rider, you will occasionally end up off your line choice or get in over your head when riding blind on new trails and that's when a more capable bike can save your butt. It happens to me all the time. :smilingimp: If all you ever ride is buffed out flow trails like this then a lesser bike will do although a better bike makes it even more fun....

The_Roverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado Springs
Member #

Performance bike is one of the better establishments out there that keeps a ton of different options under $500 that aren’t Walmart quality.
I’ve worked in the cycling industry for the past decade and can tell you that if you plan on doing any sort of harder/farther riding it would be best to invest in something a little more expensive if you can afford to. I’ve seen too many riders out there buy a cheap bike to get into it, realize they love it and outgrow there bikes skill level in the first year.

Vongoldie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

Is that little green structure where you stayed? I’d love to see the inside!
Jamal. This was a cool little camping cabin me and my boy stayed in.... All you needed was in there.... bed... heat and cool... power... and a couple of tables... we were really "roughing it"

Attachments

Reactions: Jamal Warner

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Anyone ride an e-bike?
Rexplorer, I’ve been in the industry for about 25 years and have ridden a ton of ebikes and always have one sitting in my garage, amongst many other bikes [emoji16].

Ebikes are what’s going to push our industry to the next level here in the US. It’s already happened elsewhere around the world.

They are a BLAST to ride! Be forewarned though, a QUALITY ebike is a minimum $2,000-2500. I can tell you from many years of selling them that anything below that will generally have issues.

Look for something with a Bosch, Shimano, or Yamaha driveline. Stay away from the others.

Also, someone mentioned Performance Bicycles. Just an FYI, they just filed bankruptcy and they are on the way out. They are closing about half of their 108 stores now. They will most likely not find a buyer for the rest and will close permanently. Support a well run local shop that’s been around. They generally have better grade equipment as well.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Rexplorer, I’ve been in the industry for about 25 years and have ridden a ton of ebikes and always have one sitting in my garage, amongst many other bikes [emoji16].

Ebikes are what’s going to push our industry to the next level here in the US. It’s already happened elsewhere around the world.

They are a BLAST to ride! Be forewarned though, a QUALITY ebike is a minimum $2,000-2500. I can tell you from many years of selling them that anything below that will generally have issues.

Look for something with a Bosch, Shimano, or Yamaha driveline. Stay away from the others.

Also, someone mentioned Performance Bicycles. Just an FYI, they just filed bankruptcy and they are on the way out. They are closing about half of their 108 stores now. They will most likely not find a buyer for the rest and will close permanently. Support a well run local shop that’s been around. They generally have better grade equipment as well.
Actually i work in the industry as well. If i could make a perfect bike it would have the power of tbe yamaha, the support of the bosch and the smooth quiet of the brose. Currently riding a yamaha rebel and brose from emotion, but i just pretty much ride whatever from the shop. Its such a cool industry. Cant wait to see where it goes. Thanksfor the reply.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Actually i work in the industry as well. If i could make a perfect bike it would have the power of tbe yamaha, the support of the bosch and the smooth quiet of the brose. Currently riding a yamaha rebel and brose from emotion, but i just pretty much ride whatever from the shop. Its such a cool industry. Cant wait to see where it goes. Thanksfor the reply.
Oh, right on! That's awesome! I thought you were interested in buying. You have plenty at your disposal, just like me:grinning: I ride a Turbo Levo occasionally, and one of the Powerfly's from Trek. It's all fun!

Reactions: Rexplorer

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Oh, right on! That's awesome! I thought you were interested in buying. You have plenty at your disposal, just like me:grinning: I ride a Turbo Levo occasionally, and one of the Powerfly's from Trek. It's all fun!
Im always thinking of buying. But i cant have any more $3000 bikes. Time to thin the heard first. Until then, ill enjoy them all.

Reactions: JCWages and sabjku

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Mountain biking is actually what brought me to this forum. We're planning a 17 day trip out west to ride and I needed to get my truck set up for long term camping/adventuring. Going to hit up Sedona, White Mesa, and maybe Moab if the weather holds out. 20181103_155944.jpeg

travisn000

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
My wife picked up this trek for my birthday in March. And I found this bright, ugly yet cool Gary fisher on Craigslist. View attachment 71537
..my first mountian bike had that same fork (from around 1994?).. hopefully it got an upgrade to a spring kit at some point, because it was an elastomer based dampener which is likely either turned to stone or dust by now!

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

..my first mountian bike had that same fork (from around 1994?).. hopefully it got an upgrade to a spring kit at some point, because it was an elastomer based dampener which is likely either turned to stone or dust by now!
That’s an old Rock Shox Judy fork, which actually was oil based. They had a “whopping” 50-75mm of travel if I remember correctly lol .

The Quadra series forks from Rock Shox were elastomer based.

Stash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Anastacio
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

That’s an old Rock Shox Judy fork, which actually was oil based. They had a “whopping” 50-75mm of travel if I remember correctly lol .

The Quadra series forks from Rock Shox were elastomer based.
Your spot on with the type of fork it is. It is in desperate need of the spring upgrade. If you know a source where I can purchase a kit I would truly be appreciative? Thank you.