Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I wanted to start a thread that was specifically geared toward Overlanding and Mountain biking destinations that go hand in hand. So Ill share a couple in the last 2 weeks, highly recommend both activities
#1 Canon City, Co - Trail - Oil Well Flats. Phantom Canyon Rd has quite a spaces on the south side to pull out. You can also camp free at Royal Gorge CG. spots are not real close together and views are nice. OWF, you'll need a few hours to ride the whole system. Don't miss Island in the Sky at the top of the route.
Phantom.jpg

#2 Nederland, C0 Trail Heil Ranch. There are a few county dirt roads to camp, youll hear gun fire but the nights are really quiet. Heil Ranch is a 7+ mile trail that you can do other variations of. We did the main trail, and the downhill back was such a rush!!
Nederland.jpg

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Great idea, especially since I've got my fat bike with me almost everywhere I go.

For me, my favorite area to ride is pretty much anywhere in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - specifically the Keweenaw Peninsula. Holy crap. More trails than you can ride in a season, easily (unless you ride full time). Everything from easy/family friendly to "ohsh!tWTFamIdoingridingthis!", and trails that are open year round specifically for fat bikes.

I just LOVE the U.P. for dang near everything outdoors!

https://upmtb.com/

http://www.noquetrails.org/

(Pictures are not mine)

maxresdefault.jpg Mountain-biking-Copper-Harbor.ngsversion.1495209620151.jpg Photo-by-Aaron-Peterson-_-Traverse-Magazine-0115-_-fat-tire-snow-biking-northern-michigan-3.jpg snotBike.jpg

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Cortez, Colorado...Phil's World Trail System...the riding there was pristine...we camped at Mesa Verde NP...

IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6173 (1).JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6178 (1).JPG

Slickrock, singletrack, well marked trails...definitely a destination to reckoned with. Also, we discovered some dispersed BLM camping just east of Phil's World, if the whole NP CG thing ain't your thing.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Reactions: GeoYota

Cyclosaur

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stevens Point, WI
Member #

Great idea, especially since I've got my fat bike with me almost everywhere I go.

For me, my favorite area to ride is pretty much anywhere in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - specifically the Keweenaw Peninsula. Holy crap. More trails than you can ride in a season, easily (unless you ride full time). Everything from easy/family friendly to "ohsh!tWTFamIdoingridingthis!", and trails that are open year round specifically for fat bikes.

I just LOVE the U.P. for dang near everything outdoors!

https://upmtb.com/

http://www.noquetrails.org/

(Pictures are not mine)

View attachment 51709 View attachment 51710 View attachment 51711 View attachment 51712
No mention of Copper Harbor? Thats the crown jewel at the top. Bi-annual destination for sure.

Reactions: JimInBC and Andy G

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Fruita/Grand Junction, CO. 4 seperate riding areas with 100s of miles of singletrack. There is dispersed (and developed) camping throughout the valley. In the summer when it gets too hot, run up to Grand Mesa or the Uncompahgre National forest to beat the heat with even MORE trails and dispersed camping. It really is an outdoor paradise in western colorado..... just dont move here, we're full. :sunglasses:

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Fruita/Grand Junction, CO. 4 seperate riding areas with 100s of miles of singletrack. There is dispersed (and developed) camping throughout the valley. In the summer when it gets too hot, run up to Grand Mesa or the Uncompahgre National forest to beat the heat with even MORE trails and dispersed camping. It really is an outdoor paradise in western colorado..... just dont move here, we're full. :sunglasses:
Fat Tire Festival bound

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Caligirlnic

I throw Capitol Reef NP on the list. We camped in the North half last year had the campground to our group most of the weekend with a few others joining Sunday Night. Friend is an avid biker who got in over 200 miles on the trails over the 3 day trip.

Boort.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
@Caligirlnic

I throw Capitol Reef NP on the list. We camped in the North half last year had the campground to our group most of the weekend with a few others joining Sunday Night. Friend is an avid biker who got in over 200 miles on the trails over the 3 day trip.

Boort.
Cant say I even thought about biking there. Didnt know there were trails.

Gmny

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chicago, IL
Member #

UP is fantastic! Copper harbor is amazing but don't forget about Swede Town in Calumet. Good warm up before Copper harbor.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Fruita, zippity and Joes Ridge and down PBR. Hot and dusty because of the festival but the camping can’t be beat whether you rough it in dispersed or head to the top and grab a site

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Rainbow Rim -- North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Arizona -- very cool trail. Base camp at Locust Point. Do an out and back each direction, one each day, about 19 miles each. Can also do the full monty if you are fit in one day. The trail zig zags into the forest and out onto the canyon edge over and over again.

Houston Brothers Trail -- Mogollon Rim, Arizona -- Scenic ride through fern fields and old pines. There are also some historic cabins along the trail. The first 3 to 4 miles are easy to moderate. After that, the draws get pretty steep for the next 8 miles. Eventually the trail will pop out onto a Forest Road 300, with views of the rim. Can take fire roads back for an easy return or go back the way you came.

Both of these trails are best at the end of Spring and beginning of Fall.

ben