Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What is the most regrettable mod to your rig so far? For myself, I initially went with a 2" budget boost, only to change it out a couple years later for a 3" Zone lift. Saving money doesn't always save you money. I'm starting to become a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". Now to wait and see if my Smittybilt XRC Gen2 9500 winch holds up, or if I should have bought an Engo or Warn. It's performed well so far though.

Alexander Bunyard

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Harrisonburg, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Bunyard
Member #

Yah, I saved a few hundred initially. But, I also didn't anticipate doing a lot of off roading. Live and learn I guess.
Right. Better to be over prepared than under. Now I'm saving up for them cause without them, I won't be able to run the front bumper and winch that I want.

Sent from My Cell

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Right. Better to be over prepared than under. Now I'm saving up for them cause without them, I won't be able to run the front bumper and winch that I want.

Sent from My Cell
Yup, it's all tied together. My other issue was I planned on staying on 33's. But recently decided I wanted to move up to 35's. So, the new lift went on, front axle sleeved and gussetted, etc. Now that I won't have any issues with 35's, I'm contemplating staying on 33's. And, with the winch and heavier bumper on the front, I need to put a 1/2" leveling kit on the front to get rid of the front "rake". Then of course with heavier tires comes beefing up everything else so it doesn't fail prematurely, then maybe a regear to 4.88, etc etc etc. lol, it's a horrible addiction.

Alexander Bunyard

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Harrisonburg, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Bunyard
Member #

Yup, it's all tied together. My other issue was I planned on staying on 33's. But recently decided I wanted to move up to 35's. So, the new lift went on, front axle sleeved and gussetted, etc. Now that I won't have any issues with 35's, I'm contemplating staying on 33's. And, with the winch and heavier bumper on the front, I need to put a 1/2" leveling kit on the front to get rid of the front "rake". Then of course with heavier tires comes beefing up everything else so it doesn't fail prematurely, then maybe a regear to 4.88, etc etc etc. lol, it's a horrible addiction.
Yes it is. I hope to not have to re gear the truck. But is a possibility when I can get a cheap daily so I don't have to drive the truck everyday.

Sent from My Cell

Alexander Bunyard

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Harrisonburg, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Bunyard
Member #

Yea the cheap lift vs expensive lift is where I am sitting right now. Been trying to decide if I want to go with the OME HD lift or say screw it and get the IRO 4" LA lift.
4" for sure. I should of went with the OME Medium duty spring pack out back with coilovers. Now I'm wishing I had instead.

Sent from My Cell

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

For me I think it was not doing the Titan Swap right away. At the time, I didn't think that was the direction I wanted to go. I did skip a spacer kit and go right for UCAs and coilovers with an AAL. I knew the AAL wouldn't last but it let me save up for Alcan springs and longer shocks in the rear.

If I could go back and know what I know now, I would just put up with the stock vehicle with some added armor and put all my money towards the suspension I want now. Of course, if I had done that, I wouldn't have been able to go the places I've been while saving up....

*sigh* I don't know. I'm pretty happy with the way my rig has come together and I think I made the right choices at the time that I made them, so I can't really see any issues with it. Time, experience, and inspiration from my friends' builds has resulted in several changes of directions and continuing to raise the bar for what the "final form" will look like. @Maxterra is one of the leaders of my local XTerra club and he continues to innovate and come up with really neat ideas for our vehicles, it's hard to not be inspired by his build.

Plus, I'll be honest, once I started modding my vehicle it was like the floodgates opened. For a long time I tried to keep things "bolt on" so it could be put back to stock if I wanted to. Then one day I got sick of my suction cup mount falling off the windscreen, bought some RAM mounts, modified them to fit the curve of the dash and stood there with the power drill in my hand ready to drill a hole that could never be un-drilled. In that moment I realized that I was about to destroy the resale value of my vehicle. I stopped and looked at it sitting in the driveway, covered in rash marks from trees and rocks, pin-striped from pushing through branches and scrub, and already modded all to hell with most factory parts long gone to the scrapper. I realized that I was going to keep it until it had no resale value anyway - this was already my rig, built my way, and I wasn't going to get rid of it until there was nothing left but a pile of rust and ruined parts.

Then I drilled the holes and never looked back. Now I'm considering cutting my fenders out to make room for a different suspension and taking a hole-saw to the fender for a snorkel. What the hell, it's my rig and I'm not interested in resale or whether anyone else likes it. When the wheels fall off, I'll get someone to weld them back on and keep rolling.

Alexander Bunyard

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Harrisonburg, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Bunyard
Member #

For me I think it was not doing the Titan Swap right away. At the time, I didn't think that was the direction I wanted to go. I did skip a spacer kit and go right for UCAs and coilovers with an AAL. I knew the AAL wouldn't last but it let me save up for Alcan springs and longer shocks in the rear.

If I could go back and know what I know now, I would just put up with the stock vehicle with some added armor and put all my money towards the suspension I want now. Of course, if I had done that, I wouldn't have been able to go the places I've been while saving up....

*sigh* I don't know. I'm pretty happy with the way my rig has come together and I think I made the right choices at the time that I made them, so I can't really see any issues with it. Time, experience, and inspiration from my friends' builds has resulted in several changes of directions and continuing to raise the bar for what the "final form" will look like. @Maxterra is one of the leaders of my local XTerra club and he continues to innovate and come up with really neat ideas for our vehicles, it's hard to not be inspired by his build.

Plus, I'll be honest, once I started modding my vehicle it was like the floodgates opened. For a long time I tried to keep things "bolt on" so it could be put back to stock if I wanted to. Then one day I got sick of my suction cup mount falling off the windscreen, bought some RAM mounts, modified them to fit the curve of the dash and stood there with the power drill in my hand ready to drill a hole that could never be un-drilled. In that moment I realized that I was about to destroy the resale value of my vehicle. I stopped and looked at it sitting in the driveway, covered in rash marks from trees and rocks, pin-striped from pushing through branches and scrub, and already modded all to hell with most factory parts long gone to the scrapper. I realized that I was going to keep it until it had no resale value anyway - this was already my rig, built my way, and I wasn't going to get rid of it until there was nothing left but a pile of rust and ruined parts.

Then I drilled the holes and never looked back. Now I'm considering cutting my fenders out to make room for a different suspension and taking a hole-saw to the fender for a snorkel. What the hell, it's my rig and I'm not interested in resale or whether anyone else likes it. When the wheels fall off, I'll get someone to weld them back on and keep rolling.
I feel ya. I have a ram mount for my tablet. And with drilling the 11 holes in the roof now for the rack and lights, I'm not afraid anymore to drill into her. Resale value went down after the roof rack install. Now it'll be my full time trail truck. Especially when I get a little beater so the truck doesn't have to be driven everyday.

Sent from My Cell

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

I hear ya. I tried as much bolt on as well. But, I love my Jeep and it's paid for. I figure I'll drive it till it dies. When that happens, I'll put a crate motor in it and keep going. I could care less about the latest and greatest vehicles and all their creature comforts. I see Jeeps of all ages on the streets and know that mine will continue on. I guess that's one good thing about Jeep, you can go to almost any junkyard and find parts for them. But yah, if you trade in your vehicle every couple years, I'd be careful about mods. If you plan on keeping it, hammer away and pin stripe the hell out of it!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I feel ya. I have a ram mount for my tablet. And with drilling the 11 holes in the roof now for the rack and lights, I'm not afraid anymore to drill into her. Resale value went down after the roof rack install. Now it'll be my full time trail truck. Especially when I get a little beater so the truck doesn't have to be driven everyday.

Sent from My Cell
We bought the Grand Cherokee last summer so I could let my Wrangler get some rest. I like not putting all the miles on it daily, but get anxious for the weekend so I can get some time behind the wheel.

Reactions: Alexander Bunyard

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've done a few things twice but up there as regrettable are getting a leaf added to the rear springs on a trip. Got home, unloaded the kit and ended up with no flex in the suspension at all - painful to ride in. Ended up replacing the springs (for a second time). Another was getting an insurance approved alarm fitted, what a pain and I'm sure one day it will leave me stranded somewhere!

Reactions: ShawnR

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The only regret on my build on my Outback was not really that big of a deal. I bought the Garmin GPS last summer, but I spent the extra $130 to get the model with the rear view camera. I rarely use the camera, the image is crappy, and it cost too much. In hind sight (LOL, see what I did there? :wink:) I wish I'd saved the money and just got the normal GPS.

Reactions: murps and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The only regret on my build on my Outback was not really that big of a deal. I bought the Garmin GPS last summer, but I spent the extra $130 to get the model with the rear view camera. I rarely use the camera, the image is crappy, and it cost too much. In hind sight (LOL, see what I did there? :wink:) I wish I'd saved the money and just got the normal GPS.
Good to know. That may save other people from making that mistake and save money as well.

Alexander Bunyard

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Harrisonburg, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Bunyard
Member #

We bought the Grand Cherokee last summer so I could let my Wrangler get some rest. I like not putting all the miles on it daily, but get anxious for the weekend so I can get some time behind the wheel.
That's how I feel too. But I get that everyday at the moment. One day I'll have a small car that's better on gas and I won't mind putting miles on it.

Sent from My Cell

Reactions: ShawnR

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

No regrets with the Bronco

Because I didn't install it... but the previous owner installed a 6 Inch lift.

That's just a bit much In my opinion.

Will work on that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

No regrets with the Alpha either. I resisted for a long time doing any mods that were permanent even though I knew from the day I took delivery that I wasn't going to git rid of this rig. What I have done on my interior mods that require cutting or drilling is buy a replacement panel out of a wrecked H3 then if I ever want to go back I have it. Sure they cost a little but you can find them pretty cheap so it's worth it to me. It's been retired to trail toy status for a few years now but she is still my baby so I take caution in cutting or drilling.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm torn, I like the way the body lift looks on my truck and it allows me to use my running boards without losing ground clearance but I wish I would have went with a RCD 5" suspension lift. Now I can't see myself taking one off and installing the other. Nor can I see myself adding to the lift.

I don't want a lifted truck, just something that allows me to get where I need to go and tow what I need to tow.