MOREGONE's Trailer Build and Pics

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Happy to report excellent progress with the build.
Last week I dropped off the trailer to get the RTT rack built. Decided to go with some bent steel tube to keep it simple. The fabricator did an awesome job and used 1.5" .120 wall to make the U shapes going from front to rear. He then notched some tube to connect the two sides. All in all I am extremely happy with the rack.

IMG_20190316_180024.jpeg

Once I got it home I immediately started painting the rack. I also decided I wanted to cover the top of the lid in Rustoleum spray on truck bed liner. Didn't get any pics but I used two cans and like the texture.

Attachments

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Next up was setting up and installing the Smittybilt Overlander 2783 Rooftop Tent I purchased back at Black Friday!

Setup of the Smittybilt was pretty straight forward and I must say, the quality and value of the tent have so far exceeded my expectations. I really like the included LED strip lights and power ports which will work perfectly with the trailers power setup.

IMG_20190317_110724.jpegIMG_20190317_121557.jpegIMG_20190317_134229.jpeg

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

And one last upgrade that work out amazingly considering it wasn't planned..

The wood on the side of the lid cracked a little during construction in 2 places. The tolerances were just too tight and when forcing them into place the cracked slightly.

While cruising around ole Harbo Freight, I noticed these 4" strips of rubberized diamond plate. Well wouldn't you know it, that when building lid I built a 4" gap between the top and bottom rails...

Took 13 sections to go around the trail and I am pretty happy with the results. Especially considering how well it matches the diamond plate fenders.

IMG_20190317_151946.jpegIMG_20190317_175643_Bokeh.jpegIMG_20190317_183023_Bokeh.jpeg

J.Webb

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

New England
Member #

That's a pretty sharp looking trailer. I'm thinking about getting the same RTT. Have you had a chance to use it yet? Any complaints?

I plan to mount mine over the bed of my frontier but on a low rack so I can still haul my kayaks on my roof when needed. Which leads me to another question. Any chance you can give me a real world measurement from the bottom of the tent to the highest point when closed up? I need to make sure the rack + tent won't stick up to far and interfere with my kayaks.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

That's a pretty sharp looking trailer. I'm thinking about getting the same RTT. Have you had a chance to use it yet? Any complaints?
Yeah, I have got to use it a couple of nights so far. No complaints. But they have been perfect weather and optimal situations. I could see where adding more padding might be nice. I also haven't really settled on the bedding I am going to use. I would like to get it so I have the bedding left inside when folded between trips. One less thing to pack /unpack.
Feels well built, came with a cool velcro led strip and usb extension cords to power it. No doubt that if I had the budget for a hardshell pop up I would have opted for that in a heartbeat just cut down on setup time.

I plan to mount mine over the bed of my frontier but on a low rack so I can still haul my kayaks on my roof when needed. Which leads me to another question. Any chance you can give me a real world measurement from the bottom of the tent to the highest point when closed up? I need to make sure the rack + tent won't stick up to far and interfere with my kayaks.
From the hump in the ladder when it is closed, it is right at 15". The hump is about 3", so the sides around the ladder are 12"

LMK if there is anything I can help with