More Power!! Adding batteries to a Yeti400

• HTML tutorial

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

I bought my GoalZero Yeti400 to run my A-PAP and charge stuff up while camping. Then I ditched my cooler and got a fridge. The Yeti can run the fridge all night but a fridge and the A-PAP puts a big drain on it. There are Anderson ports on each side so you can daisy chain 400s together, so why not just use a regular 33ah battery similar to what sits inside the sexy Yeti case? After some googling I found quit a few people have done this with great results.

I purchased everything from Amazon, I’ll link below, except the Yeti400. I got that from GoalZero’s website under blemished items. Hardly a tiny scratch on it but knocked $100 off the price. You can find some of this stuff cheaper at other sites if you’re willing to wait on shipping.

Got my Yeti400, 33ah batteries and my Anderson-to-post connectors all set up now. Everything charges/discharges through the Yeti as if it’s one big battery. I can run it with both batteries connected (1200wh), one battery connected (800wh) or just the Yeti (400wh). NOTE: doing this does not increase power output, that’s governed by the Yeti’s inverter, it only adds power reserve to run stuff longer. Still can’t plug a 1100w AC into it and expect it to work. 300w per plug is the max on the yeti400.

So here are the links to what I bought:

Dual Positive/Negative ATC Style...
ExpertPower Q02BLMFM12_33 AGM (2 Pack 12v Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery 33Ah, 34Ah, 35Ah. Replacment Model for Pride Mobility Scooters
NOCO Black HM082BKS Group U1 Snap-Top Box for Mobility, Scooters, Lawn and Garden Batteries
And here are the pics of the setup on my bench. I’ll post more pics once everything is in the Jeep.

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

I will post updates as to how it’s all working as I go.

Cheers,

Carl

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I so want to like what Goal Zero is doing but I already own a Honda 2000 generator and all it needs is a little gas to run it. I'm not running a fridge in my LX and the 2-way in the camping van runs off of two house batteries. My big gripe with GZ is their poor (IMO) charging solutions. I'm not buying a solar panel to charge something (I'm thinking the GZ 400 Li) I should be able to charge in my 12v while driving. People have griped about their charge controllers being the issue. Other companies are making similar products for a LOT less $$. Bottom line though is, unless I want to get a fridge for the LX, these battery gensets don't really do anything I need.

Reactions: PolarExpress

CPick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West FL
Member #

Like the set up PolarExpress. I love my Yeti400!
Been thinking about getting a fridge, this might be a good solution!

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I bought my GoalZero Yeti400 to run my A-PAP and charge stuff up while camping. Then I ditched my cooler and got a fridge. The Yeti can run the fridge all night but a fridge and the A-PAP puts a big drain on it. There are Anderson ports on each side so you can daisy chain 400s together, so why not just use a regular 33ah battery similar to what sits inside the sexy Yeti case? After some googling I found quit a few people have done this with great results.

I purchased everything from Amazon, I’ll link below, except the Yeti400. I got that from GoalZero’s website under blemished items. Hardly a tiny scratch on it but knocked $100 off the price. You can find some of this stuff cheaper at other sites if you’re willing to wait on shipping.

Got my Yeti400, 33ah batteries and my Anderson-to-post connectors all set up now. Everything charges/discharges through the Yeti as if it’s one big battery. I can run it with both batteries connected (1200wh), one battery connected (800wh) or just the Yeti (400wh). NOTE: doing this does not increase power output, that’s governed by the Yeti’s inverter, it only adds power reserve to run stuff longer. Still can’t plug a 1100w AC into it and expect it to work. 300w per plug is the max on the yeti400.

ExpertPower Q02BLMFM12_33 AGM (2 Pack 12v Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery 33Ah, 34Ah, 35Ah. Replacment Model for Pride Mobility Scooters
NOCO Black HM082BKS Group U1 Snap-Top Box for Mobility, Scooters, Lawn and Garden Batteries
And here are the pics of the setup on my bench. I’ll post more pics once everything is in the Jeep.

View attachment 84270

View attachment 84271

View attachment 84272

Cheers,

Carl
Hi Carl,

I hope this works for you. Having only 100 Ah is not a lot of reserve. You may be good for a day but if you don't have sun for a few days, you may have an issue. Just saying..

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

Hi Carl,

I hope this works for you. Having only 100 Ah is not a lot of reserve. You may be good for a day but if you don't have sun for a few days, you may have an issue. Just saying..
It’s not a lot of AH, but for the price and size it’s pretty good. I’ve already run the fridge a full 26hrs off the Yeti alone, by tripling the storage capacity I should be good for a long weekend. I’ve got a small solar panel that will help when parked, and the Yeti will be plugged into the Jeep when driving so everything will charge up as we wheel around. I don’t plan on letting my Jeep sit in one spot for more than a couple days, but if I do, I can always charge everything back up by running my giant generator of a Jeep. Pretty sure I’ll be ok.

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

I so want to like what Goal Zero is doing but I already own a Honda 2000 generator and all it needs is a little gas to run it. I'm not running a fridge in my LX and the 2-way in the camping van runs off of two house batteries. My big gripe with GZ is their poor (IMO) charging solutions. I'm not buying a solar panel to charge something (I'm thinking the GZ 400 Li) I should be able to charge in my 12v while driving. People have griped about their charge controllers being the issue. Other companies are making similar products for a LOT less $$. Bottom line though is, unless I want to get a fridge for the LX, these battery gensets don't really do anything I need.
Yeah, their charge solutions aren’t great but that’s why I didn’t go with the 400 lithium. I specifically wanted to be able to charge this with the Jeep AND be able to daisy chain additional batteries. Love the compactness and output of the Li it just didn’t suit my needs.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
It’s not a lot of AH, but for the price and size it’s pretty good. I’ve already run the fridge a full 26hrs off the Yeti alone, by tripling the storage capacity I should be good for a long weekend. I’ve got a small solar panel that will help when parked, and the Yeti will be plugged into the Jeep when driving so everything will charge up as we wheel around. I don’t plan on letting my Jeep sit in one spot for more than a couple days, but if I do, I can always charge everything back up by running my giant generator of a Jeep. Pretty sure I’ll be ok.
No worries, it seems this set up works for you. I have a lot of power needs. I have four 6V golf cart batteries hooked in series and parallel to give me 12V and a total of 480Ah. I am running up tp 4 led spots, the Dometic CFX 75, and an ICOM 7300 HF ham radio. I hook the bats up to a briefcase 200w solar panel that I can put 100 feet from the Scout trailer. Just in case, I also bring the Honda i2000 with plenty of Rec gas.

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

Awesome set up !...right now I'm running a 105 amp agm deep cycle in a baterry box, with 180watts of panels...I like the yeti400 though, for some light camping stuff and at home for blackouts....will follow this post.

Reactions: PolarExpress

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

Awesome set up !...right now I'm running a 105 amp agm deep cycle in a baterry box, with 180watts of panels...I like the yeti400 though, for some light camping stuff and at home for blackouts....will follow this post.
Thanks! I really wanted to go with a dual battery setup for the Jeep but that’s around $800 battery+kit. This was cheaper and gives me a lot of flexibility, although it does take up space in the back, which sucks.

Trungsnaps

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Trung
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

View attachment 84270

View attachment 84271

View attachment 84272

Cheers,

Carl
Curious on how you are storing the two extra batteries in your truck with the Goal Zero?

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
You will want Lithium Batteries. They cost more upfront but will last a life time.

BJ_OTR

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fountain Valley, Ca
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Mekpongsatorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREZ604

View attachment 84270

View attachment 84271

View attachment 84272

Cheers,

Carl
I have a couple 55ah batteries, do you think it will work with this set up?

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I have a couple 55ah batteries, do you think it will work with this set up?
You will want to start with one 100Ah lithium ...200 watts of solar panels and a 30 watt MPPT charge controller. Lithium can get 5000 charge cycles vs 1000 on an AGM. Lead Acid sucks, I know. I made that mistake.

BJ_OTR

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fountain Valley, Ca
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Mekpongsatorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREZ604
You will want to start with one 100Ah lithium ...200 watts of solar panels and a 30 watt MPPT charge controller. Lithium can get 5000 charge cycles vs 1000 on an AGM. Lead Acid sucks, I know. I made that mistake.
I already have a solar set up on my rig, I recently upgraded from 2 55ah batteries to 2 125 ah. I also have a yeti 400. I was thinking of using the 2 55ah batteries I have now to add to the yeti. Just as a more portable source. Just wondering if the 55ah batteries would work with the yeti 400
Thanks for the input though!