Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

Well it's with a heavy heart that I announce that my beloved Gen 2 Montero has passed on the the big rust pile in the sky.

After 222k miles the engine decided that it had lived its life and threw a rod at 65mph on my way to deer camp. Sadly the Mitsubishi 3.5l engine is not an easy thing to find..... so It looks like I'm in the market for a new overland rig.

Therefore I'm looking for suggestions folks! My requirement are that it can carry my clan of 3 plus 2 small dogs (pugs) comfortably for long trips and actually have parts availability!

We dont really rock crawl or mud bog anymore and I really dont want to run a tire bigger than 33" as my wife is vertically challenged.

So.... what do you folks think? Budget is around 20k.

• Sad
Reactions: RAWags

WJJEEPIN

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Mitchell
99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Comes in a bullet proof 4.0L I6 or V8. Tons of aftermarket support to take it from mild to wild and plenty of parts and viable parts in the junk yard. They can be picked up for a good price and the rest of the $ can go to prepping it.

Reactions: Monty_moose_gen2

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Nissan X-Terra Pro 4X. Add a good 32" tire and rear recovery points, and done. Drive and have fun. 20K should get you a low mile clean one. Lots of relevant design features for overlanding. Very surprised these are not everywhere.

WJ can be good, if the payload capacity is enough for your needs. (People are payload and come off the top of the capacity! ) Pay attention to what model and options you want- to get as many of the features you want off the bat. Tow package, selectable transfer case, limited slip diffs, and so on. Otherwise you will be on a first name basis at the pick and part. But that is the good news- parts availability is good and interchangeability within the platform and year to year is excellent for diffs and such.

I love my WJ for day or weekend trips, but it falls short for an expedition rig with full load out including 2 well nourished adults.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Nissan X-Terra Pro 4X. Add a good 32" tire and rear recovery points, and done. Drive and have fun. 20K should get you a low mile clean one. Lots of relevant design features for overlanding. Very surprised these are not everywhere.

WJ can be good, if the payload capacity is enough for your needs. (People are payload and come off the top of the capacity! ) Pay attention to what model and options you want- to get as many of the features you want off the bat. Tow package, selectable transfer case, limited slip diffs, and so on. Otherwise you will be on a first name basis at the pick and part. But that is the good news- parts availability is good and interchangeability within the platform and year to year is excellent for diffs and such.

I love my WJ for day or weekend trips, but it falls short for an expedition rig with full load out including 2 well nourished adults.
I'll second the Xterra suggestion. If you've got the cash for the second gens, it's a great option. There are known issues with the radiator trans coolers blowing seals, and mixing trans fluid with coolant, but any model after 2012 should be clear of this issue.

I have an 03 Xterra (first gen). It's a great rig even without mods. Great motor, although I wouldn't call it powerful. But it gets the job done. Mods are cheapish, and you can fit 32's with just a torsion bar crank and some shackles.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Why not just swap the engine and transmission out of the Montero for a Chevrolet combo and have a much more reliable Montero with plenty of HP under the hood.

Monty_moose_gen2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

Great suggestions guys. I've never been sold on the WJ grand Cherokees personally.... FSJ Chefokee on the other hand is my dream rig...lol.

What do you all think about the 4runners? I've got a lead on a 2012 SR5 with less than 100k.

But I also have a lead on an 2008 Wrangler Rubicon with less than 100k and already has lockers from the factory....

Damn this is on hell of a Dilemma. Keep the suggestion coming!

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Great suggestions guys. I've never been sold on the WJ grand Cherokees personally.... FSJ Chefokee on the other hand is my dream rig...lol.

What do you all think about the 4runners? I've got a lead on a 2012 SR5 with less than 100k.

But I also have a lead on an 2008 Wrangler Rubicon with less than 100k and already has lockers from the factory....

A 5th gen 4Runner is a great investment, will last many years and it's very capable out of the box.

Monty_moose_gen2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

I've never been sold on the WJ grand Cherokees personally.... FSJ Chefokee on the other hand is my dream rig...lol.
So.... Ya want an FSJ to build? have a 76 Cherokee 2 door wide track for sale. Currently in process of installing a Howell EFI for easier smog certifying here in CA.
Now you are just toying with my emotions....lol

I've had several FSJ's..... 76 cherokee 4dr, 80 Grand Wagoneer, and a 78 Wagoneer with the Levi's interior. I truly love those rigs but man do they have a wide footprint. Not sure they would fit on some of the trails the monty went down.

Monty_moose_gen2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

A 5th gen 4Runner is a great investment, will last many years and it's very capable out of the box.
I honestly have no clue on which gen is which on the 4Runners. Would a 2012 be a 5th gen....or a 4th gen? Are the the 4th gen as good as the current gen??

Toyota reliability is a huge upside for me...... But the jeeps seem more buildable through the aftermarket.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I believe a 5th gen is from 2010 and up, and from 2014 you have 5th with the “restyle”.

The 4th gens are very similar to the 5th but some have a 4.7 V8, which could be a plus.

You can’t go wrong with both, I personally would pick a 5th gen because is more modern and it looks better.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I honestly have no clue on which gen is which on the 4Runners. Would a 2012 be a 5th gen....or a 4th gen? Are the the 4th gen as good as the current gen??

Toyota reliability is a huge upside for me...... But the jeeps seem more buildable through the aftermarket.
Parts are way cheaper for the jeep too. Plus its like a lego kit, build how big you want to go and what you want to do.

Monty_moose_gen2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Vaughan
Member #

Is the body and frame of the monty good? if so, swap in an LS motor and transmission and give r!
Yes the body and frame are in good shape. I considered an engine swap to the Mitsubishi 3.8l..... or a possible LS. But the thought of doing so is pretty daunting honestly. That would necessitate quite a bit of fabrication....and upgrades to the electrical system as well. I'm not planning on selling the Monty.... I just need an interim solution as it will eventually get rebuilt or engine swapped.