Mono Lake....anyone ever driven around it ?

• HTML tutorial

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Tons of exploring in the Eastern Sierra's shrubs can get high watch for cross traffic at the intersecting trails. Its a little lose, sandy so its fun! Great trails all around that area including hot springs, mining history and photography.

Reactions: Joel 11k

dobiemeadows

Rank 0

Traveler I

The eastern part between 167 and 120 (Warm Springs route) is the toughest - I assume that's what you're planning. I did it for the first time last August. Be prepared for deep pumice dust (8 to 12 inches in parts) covering large potholes. The area between Warm Springs and Mono Mills was the toughest for me.

The different routes aren't that clearly marked once you get to the southeast portion of the lake where a fire cleared out a lot of the Jeffrey pines. I recall having to make split-second decisions when coming to forks in the road just because I didn't want to stop and get stuck in the sand.

It's a beautiful route with great views, just be prepared for a lot of heat and wind and dust. Have fun!

Reactions: Joel 11k and 1derer

dobiemeadows

Rank 0

Traveler I

This inspired me to go back and pull up some photos of my Warm Springs trip last August. Probably would've been best to do this run with someone else with a winch, but I risked it solo, brought a shovel (didn't need it, luckily) and made it with just a few bumps...and a very dusty rig.

This is the sign that greets you as you drive off 167 and head south.

Bodie and Benton Railway right-of-way berm littered with old rail ties.

Just south of Warm Springs, a little over an hour into the trip.

Ruins of an old cabin made of railroad ties.

My side window a couple hours into the trip; wiped a finger across the LNT logo for contrast. Did I mention it's dusty out there?

Reactions: Joel 11k

CrashMon

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
All taken from a trail we decided to take after leaving bodie. Came over a rise and saw the valley in a beautiful panorama. Bodie is kinda cool to check out also

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: dobiemeadows

Kumayama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ridgemark, CA, USA
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Mangiameli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6OMM
Did this last November in a JKUR with 2.5 lift & 35 in tires. As I recall I was very happy to have as much ground clearance as I did for some very deeply rutted sections. A couple of years earlier I had been scared off from doing the circum nav. by a ranger at the Mono Lake Visitors center. Ranger said people regularly got stuck in the sand and it was a $1000 tow to get them out. This time I went with lockers, winch, pull pal, and 4 Max Trax-- but never felt I had a need to use any of it. Things might be more difficult earlier in the year.

Spectacular thing happened midway around the lake. Slowed down and then stoped as some wild horses came trotting up from the lake and and crossed the road right in front of me, then more came and then still more trotted or ran by. I eventually turned off the engine as no end was in sight. There were well over a hundred, and I can say without any exaggeration that it was the largest collection of wild horses I've seen in over 40 years of going into the East Slope and Nevada back country. Can't imagine I'll ever see so many again.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk