pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

Permit # 2 is in my hands, woot!

Getting past bureaucratic hurdles was definitely a task but I've got it. What this means is that we split up our entire "crew" into two NPS permits, to try and alleviate whatever NPS stress there could be over these many vehicles on a single permit. Me being overseas during a good portion of it meant i had to get things signed and shipped and what not, so it was definitely a task.

That being said, repeating Dan's words, its my name and social on Permit # 2, so I'd like to ask for everyone to please follow the rules already outlined by Dan and try not to get me incarcerated. Thank you :)

On another note, I don't think I have met any of the attendees in person with the exception of Dan, Michael and Corrie. So I obviously do not have a preference who I get teamed with and at the end I don't think it should matter much, since we will all roll around together anyways. I know I owe @Cavo some beers for hooking me up with my poop device + bags delivery, so I will have some beers on me, I don't think I will bring any hard liquor because being hungover the next morning in the desert isn't my thing, lol.

And for whatever it's worth, my truck has significant lighting (probably everyone else does too), so if we are driving at dusk, dawn or night, I can be ahead if needed be.

I'll be leaving Morro Bay Friday at 1-2am, and on CB15 all the way there, stopping at some wall mart for some supplies.

See you guys soon!

PD: I may have to borrow a compressor if we do wind up airing down.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
FYI, if anyone is planning to wait and get supplies at the Walmart in Barstow, they are very limited on whats in stock for camping (and other things).You are better off going to a different one. Maybe they stock for weekends, but the shelves were mighty bare early this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
FYI, if anyone is planning to wait and get supplies at the Walmart in Barstow, they are very limited on whats in stock for camping (and other things).You are better off going to a different one. Maybe they stock for weekends, but the shelves were mighty bare early this morning.

Thanks Tom, good info, we're planning on meeting there tomorrow. Hopefully no one has left it to the last minute and counting on the Walmart to pull them through. After that, there's not much available.

And thanks for the good news on the weather, I hope we can plan on that sun sticking around.

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

I was just planning on buying food. I have all the camping stuff I need. You think that's too big of a gamble?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I was just planning on buying food. I have all the camping stuff I need. You think that's too big of a gamble?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Similarly, I was hoping to get wood in Barstow is that a bad idea?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I'm hoping there is a CB guru coming along.... I've changed and checked everything and J should be good...SWR readings are all out of wack... I finaly bought a hand held this afternoon
I'll be brining my SWR meter, we can hook it up and do some troubleshooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'll be brining my SWR meter, we can hook it up and do some troubleshooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
are you going to bring an Ohm meeter also he might have a ground problem, I can bring one if you aren't packing one

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

What Dan said. Also, all, stating again, as a group we have a tremendous responsibility to the environment on this trip. We are bringing more hardware than the area typically sees in a decade :) and when we leave, we don't want to leave a print. "Don't crash the brush" (seriously, don't drive on brush) stay "on trail", and if you see someone else's trash, pick it up. I would like to have a good pile of other peoples trash we pick up along the way at the end of the trip. Overland Bound has grown very quickly, and with it comes increased responsibility to educate others about proper land use. It's a great opportunity for us, and we need to walk the talk. Thanks for your ears, I can't wait to see you and get some rare, quality time with ya'll.
@Michael This is absolutely the way. As the "leader" (OB) it's great to see you taking the lead on this publicly and setting the bar. Bravo.

This trip specifically has a set of challenges (40 rigs and associated multiples of folks) in that the Mojave Road isn't generally supportive of that many vehicles in a consolidated location but with good stewardship along the way the group has an opportunity to show an excellent example.

I've led many trips (CA,NV,UT) with small and large groups alike and I'm continuously amazed at how interested folks are in setting an example, leaving the trail better than we found it.

Have a safe trip everyone and don't forget your pennies for the can.

TacoZim

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Yes I'll have testin equipment... I'm an electrician by trade so it's part of my basic tool kit
Thank god cause I'm having CB issues as well regarding interference. Will come and find you at some point. Maybe you know something or suggest something that I haven't checked/ tried yet.

OB2779

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Thank god cause I'm having CB issues as well regarding interference. Will come and find you at some point. Maybe you know something or suggest something that I haven't checked/ tried yet.

OB2779
Wait.. I'm the guy that needs help lol!! I'll have an SWR meter and a basic multimeter... it's the knowledge of others that I truly need.... the old guy at radio shack thinks my issue is the ground plane.... possibly the mesh of my cargo rack.... I'm going to pick up a totally different style of antenna and an extra cable tomorrow before heading out. The wide open desert will be a great place to play with that stuff.