Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
When we depart Friday's final meeting spot (off of Needles Hwy), we will be on dirt for 3 days, unless someone chooses to take the short trip down to Kelso Depot.

Airing down is your choice, but yes, be ready to go by departure time, whatever that means to you.

Dan.
Dan I will come over to the Thursday camp site to say hi and for what its worth I could care less who I run with I will take the cleanup position if you want! Just happy to be on the trip.

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

For anyone heading out from So cal I plan on being in cb channel 16 and frs 4 on the drive to Laughlin. I likely won't be monitoring ham as I am not licensed yet. If anyone is coming from So cal hit me up on cb 16 and frs 4 to chat as we drive.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
There's several of us Bay Area peeps that are already planing on using CB 15 for the route. I think we should keep it consistent

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

So I have a badass ARB compressor....
Plan A..... was to mount it in the rig and plum it.... that's not happening, pumpkin hour is too close.....
Plan B... mount that pig in an old tool box and butcher some jumper cables and clamp it to the battery..... not sure if that's gonna happen eaither at this point...... I'm hoping that someone will be awesome and help me air up at the end of the trail... I'll bring extra beer......

Reactions: Zargon

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Plan A..... was to mount it in the rig and plum it.... that's not happening, pumpkin hour is too close.....
Plan B... mount that pig in an old tool box and butcher some jumper cables and clamp it to the battery..... not sure if that's gonna happen eaither at this point...... I'm hoping that someone will be awesome and help me air up at the end of the trail... I'll bring extra beer......
I wouldn't sweat it, there will probably be 15 rigs with air compressors. If I'm wrong, you can use mine (but it's small, I only have 31s.)

Lauroness

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairfield Ca
Member #

I got you my friend. Just picked up a new air compressor (said it inflates a tire from 15psi to 35psi in two minutes). Your more then welcome to use it. I have the companies email so I will be emailing him with my thoughts. So let's hope it doesn't embarrass me.

Also, I don't mind being a tail gunner. I'll have my CB and will have a ham to monitor but not licensed yet.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I also have an air compressor you can feel free to use, hey, maybe we can pump up all your tires at the same time!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

I have an on-board ARB compressor as well as a spare toolbox ARB compressor. You are welcome to use either.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Maybe some of you have seen @Michael 's latest Instagram post about the Desert Tortoise? @overlandbound on IG.

Somewhat maligned historically as it was viewed as an icon of the Extreme Conservationists as their reason to close areas like the Mojave to motorized travelers for some time, the Desert Tortoise is a real thing!
As participants in this ride, users of the Mojave Preserve, and good stewards of Mother Earth, we have to do our best to protect those creatures that otherwise have no protection from man.

The rules for what to do when a Desert Tortoise is spotted, and that seems like a likely thing in the Sprintime, are pretty crazy.

There's a form to fill out if one is spotted. It's attached here, please download it, print it and be prepared to fill it out if you happen to be fortunate enough to spot one of these creatures.

I will also have several forms, but if you can, be prepared to do this!

One of the RULES for vehicle travel and associated with this issue is that drivers allow enough space in between vehicles to be able to spot a D/T if there's one on the road.

Thanks, Dan.

Attachments

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Sounds like this bears repeating...

Trail COMMS:

Communications on the trail is one key to creating a safe and also fun environment. There are many choices available. I'd like to create just a little direction to make things simple for whatever you choose.

For effective communication between the various trail leaders, I'd like to request the frequencies 146.460 and 146.520 be kept clear. 146.460 can be used for quick and concise comms on the trail. 146.520 is officially the national simplex channel, but also used by Friends of the Mojave. If you would like to try and reach them, go to high power and give it a shot.

Here's an example of what I would suggest for frequencies for the teams:

Suggested Simplex Comms for Ham Operators
Suggested_Ham_Freq_Simplex.JPG

There are repeaters accessible in that area, Thanks @Wolfy for the info for this area!

Ham_Freqs_MR.JPG

Suggested Comms using CB Radio

Suggested_CB_Freq.JPG

For FRS/GMRS
Please choose among each team which channel plus privacy PL to use for close-quarter comms in the team

HAM radio is my choice because of the availability of the frequencies as well as power output options. HAM requires a license to operate, but there are many available radios from Baofeng and it's cousins on the low-cost end, and brands like Yaesu, ICOM and Kenwood on the high-end.

Get what works for you, but CB and FRS/GMRS will not get the distance and clarity of Amateur Radio.

These are suggested channels and frequencies to simplify comms in a large group. If you all agree to use something else, as long as it doesn't overlap another team, that's great.

And for those of you traveling the I-15 & I-40 area, here's some info for the road:
When traveling to the park via I-15 or I-40 check the Caltrans Highway Information Service for up-to-the-minute conditions at 1-800-427-7623.

It has been suggested that the road channel for travelers is CB15.
I will be on HAM 146.460 as well.

Man, I'm gettin' stoked for this!

Dan.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Maybe some of you have seen @Michael 's latest Instagram post about the Desert Tortoise? @overlandbound on IG.

Somewhat maligned historically as it was viewed as an icon of the Extreme Conservationists as their reason to close areas like the Mojave to motorized travelers for some time, the Desert Tortoise is a real thing!
As participants in this ride, users of the Mojave Preserve, and good stewards of Mother Earth, we have to do our best to protect those creatures that otherwise have no protection from man.

The rules for what to do when a Desert Tortoise is spotted, and that seems like a likely thing in the Sprintime, are pretty crazy.

There's a form to fill out if one is spotted. It's attached here, please download it, print it and be prepared to fill it out if you happen to be fortunate enough to spot one of these creatures.

One of the RULES for vehicle travel and associated with this issue is that drivers allow enough space in between vehicles to be able to spot a D/T if there's one on the road.

Thanks, Dan.
Thanks for the tortoise form!

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I got you my friend. Just picked up a new air compressor (said it inflates a tire from 15psi to 35psi in two minutes). Your more then welcome to use it. I have the companies email so I will be emailing him with my thoughts. So let's hope it doesn't embarrass me.

Also, I don't mind being a tail gunner. I'll have my CB and will have a ham to monitor but not licensed yet.
I'm running 35s at 55-60 psi for highway... that should test it's limits.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Thanks, Dan.
What Dan said. Also, all, stating again, as a group we have a tremendous responsibility to the environment on this trip. We are bringing more hardware than the area typically sees in a decade :) and when we leave, we don't want to leave a print. "Don't crash the brush" (seriously, don't drive on brush) stay "on trail", and if you see someone else's trash, pick it up. I would like to have a good pile of other peoples trash we pick up along the way at the end of the trip. Overland Bound has grown very quickly, and with it comes increased responsibility to educate others about proper land use. It's a great opportunity for us, and we need to walk the talk. Thanks for your ears, I can't wait to see you and get some rare, quality time with ya'll.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

There's several of us Bay Area peeps that are already planing on using CB 15 for the route. I think we should keep it consistent
Cool I'll roll with channel 15 as well.. And I have a compressor you're welcome to use to air up. I think I've decided to quit drinking.... Probably bad timing. But oh well

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

markye412

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bay Area
Member #

I will need a tortoise patch if they get made. I'm willing to buy one. I love tortoises and have a couple roaming in my back yard. Help me out if you can.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB

Thanks, Dan.
Just in case someone comes upon a desert tortoise on the trail this weekend here is some info from DMG.gov.

Stop your car in a safe place along the roadside. Approach the tortoise from the end of the shell with the head. Note the direction the tortoise was heading. Carry it carefully across the road in the same direction, and take it no more than 150 feet into the desert. If possible, place the tortoise in the shade. Carry the tortoise upright, in its normal walking position, using both hands to hold it. Don't tip it from side to side or upside down. It the tortoise becomes frightened, it may empty its bladder as a defense mechanism. The loss of bladder fluids can place the tortoise under additional stress because tortoises store water in the bladder for use during the dry times of year.

I know some web sites state that under no circumstances are you allowed to touch or move the tortoise without proper training. I found the above at the following link.

http://www.dmg.gov/documents/GDE_Answering_Questions_about_DTs_BerryK_092199.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Cavo

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I am working in Yermo Ca only a few miles from the west end of the Mojave Road. Right now the weather is great and I can't wait to hit the trail with everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk