• Poll closed .

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

For those leaving at different times from NorCal. With Ch 15 established for CB. If you see a rig that looks like an OB member, try to get a radio check! I'll be monitoring the entire way down to Avi [emoji1303]

OB2779
Since my drive is like 7 hours, my plan is to leave Morro Bay (central coast) at 1am on Friday, so I can be at rally point 1 by 9am. I need to make a supply stop somewhere along the route, so I will find a wall mart (since its apparently open 24/7) to buy some stuff.

I will be monitoring CB15 along the way if there are any other night haulers on the road. Or anyone from my area.

@fj80toyman I managed to switch my flight, so I will be back home at 2pm, gives me plenty of time to set up truck, get some sleep, wake up at 1 and head out. So I won't be driving groggy :)

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
So, if this is where we will be sleeping late Thursday night (off needles rd), is there a reason to go meet at the first meet place?
That's a good question. This is for the folks that want to meet up at the trailhead, not everyone will be camping, some will be coming from different places. This also allows those who want to actually start "at the river" to say they've run the whole Mojave Road time to do that if they get an early start. That should add only 45 - 60 minutes to get that done. Look at a map, it's close.

Edit: If you don't want to actually go to the trailhead and you're camped there, you certainly don't have to because we'll be coming right back. I may be out there with the crickets!

Take a look at post 646 for fuel and roughly 2 gallons per person per day of water (washing self, utensils etc).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks Tom.

Thanks Matt.

So just curious...how long will this trip take. I know it will be Friday and Saturday. But what time on Sunday would you anticipate us finishing the trail? Early morning? After lunch? Thanks Making sure I have enough food! HAHA
Another good question. This depends on so many things, but where we camp the night before, how early of a start we get, will we cross Soda Dry Lake or go around, etc. If we go all the way through Afton Canyon, barring anything crazy, I anticipate mid-late afternoon on Sunday.

We do have to stop at the Travelers Monument and take the required (by law) poser shot, right?

Questions? Keep'em coming.

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

You need to get a cheap SWR meter (radio shack has them) to calibrate cb radio. Good youtube instructions you can find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
My Cobra 29Lx has a built in SWR meter, but for some reason is says "Warning CB Antenna " when I que the mic. I'm gonna check the cable tonight to see if it's messed up

Reactions: Zargon

Lauroness

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairfield Ca
Member #

So just curious...how long will this trip take. I know it will be Friday and Saturday. But what time on Sunday would you anticipate us finishing the trail? Early morning? After lunch? Thanks Making sure I have enough food! HAHA
I think you should plan for afternoon. I had seen a post that said we'd finish then. I will be headed home like around 3pm regardless of plans.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That's a good question. This is for the folks that want to meet up at the trailhead, not everyone will be camping, some will be coming from different places. This also allows those who want to actually start "at the river" to say they've run the whole Mojave Road time to do that if they get an early start. That should add only 45 - 60 minutes to get that done. Look at a map, it's close.

Edit: If you don't want to actually go to the trailhead and you're camped there, you certainly don't have to because we'll be coming right back. I may be out there with the crickets!

Thanks Tom.

Thanks Matt.

Another good question. This depends on so many things, but where we camp the night before, how early of a start we get, will we cross Soda Dry Lake or go around, etc. If we go all the way through Afton Canyon, barring anything crazy, I anticipate mid-late afternoon on Sunday.

We do have to stop at the Travelers Monument and take the required (by law) poser shot, right?

Questions? Keep'em coming.
The power shot of all the rigs around the monument is a must have! Also, does anyone plan on taking a USA flag to take place of the one on the monument? I know that get tattered quite quickly and so often large groups will bring an extra flag

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Lauroness

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairfield Ca
Member #

Sure, can you direct me to your other post?
Ok more revised planned; I will be leaving Pleasant Hill Bart station around 4-4:30 no later. I'm making my way south to 580 and crossing over to I-5. @UmmDavid and I will be staying the night at a hotel in Barstow (I'll have a little overlander who may get fussy). We are planning to hitting the road the next morning around 7 to arrive at first meeting point around 9:30 after we fuel up. I'm thinking, what if I do a radio check every 15 miles or at least ever rest stop/fuel station along I-5 to see who is near to round up more troops.

Also, for those who have toilets. I have a poop up tent (pun intended) that you can borrow if you ask nicely. I believe you are allow to dig a hole if you wish to do that instead you can use the tent for privacy. I'm working on getting a bunch of....I call
Them "shit bags" so that if those are in need can use. I shall give you guys an update if I get enough of them. As of now I only have a couple.

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I know there are plenty of beer drinkers in this crowd... some are bringing small micro-brew beers along...I'm one of them... we should set up a spot at camp for "The Beer Exchange" I nominate my Rig!! =p just look for the grey Ram with a Tepui RTT. I have a portable fire pit too
Okay, I'll bring a case of Pliny. Jk, but I'll try to bring some good ones to trade.

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Reactions: Lifes2short4BS

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Ok more revised planned; I will be leaving Pleasant Hill Bart station around 4-4:30 no later. I'm making my way south to 580 and crossing over to I-5. @UmmDavid and I will be staying the night at a hotel in Barstow (I'll have a little overlander who may get fussy). We are planning to hitting the road the next morning around 7 to arrive at first meeting point around 9:30 after we fuel up. I'm thinking, what if I do a radio check every 15 miles or at least ever rest stop/fuel station along I-5 to see who is near to round up more troops.

Also, for those who have toilets. I have a poop up tent (pun intended) that you can borrow if you ask nicely. I believe you are allow to dig a hole if you wish to do that instead you can use the tent for privacy. I'm working on getting a bunch of....I call
Them "shit bags" so that if those are in need can use. I shall give you guys an update if I get enough of them. As of now I only have a couple.
I don't have an extra privacy tent but I will be bringing 3 boxes of waste bags, if anyone needs one. (total of 18 bags)

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Randy Hou

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dublin, CA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Hou
Member #

So this maybe a dumb question but I am at 9,800 miles on my 4Runner prior to this trip with an oil change due at 10,000 miles. Do you guys think I can push it to 11,000 before the oil change? Or should I do the oil change now?

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

So this maybe a dumb question but I am at 9,800 miles on my 4Runner prior to this trip with an oil change due at 10,000 miles. Do you guys think I can push it to 11,000 before the oil change? Or should I do the oil change now?
You'll be more than fine. 1k isn't going to make a difference. Just make sure it's changed when you get back.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Okay, I'll bring a case of Pliny. Jk, but I'll try to bring some good ones to trade.
Oh I'm in for some trades. Looks like I'll be stopping at my little beer store to pick up some more beer. I'm bringing some Alvarado St (Monterey), Bike Dog (Sac), Modern Times (SD) and Firestone (#005) and some Sante Adairius growlers and a Kern River growler from when we stop on the way down. I think they have cans too so I'll pick up some of those as well. :-)