Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Do you perhaps mean something like this? Just a quick mock-up.View attachment 17666
I think that's the general idea, but we should probably keep it distinction from OB's official gear. Those are their designs - if they want to use them for a patch that's cool but I wouldn't want to appropriate their design.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I think that's the general idea, but we should probably keep it distinction from OB's official gear. Those are their designs - if they want to use them for a patch that's cool but I wouldn't want to appropriate their design.

I completely agree, I was more or less just messing around with that image :p

Reactions: Tom K

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I completely agree, I was more or less just messing around with that image :p
I like the idea of a patch but I have no creativity as far as that goes!

If you come up with something, be sure to add Joshua Trees and something about miners...

And if you tell me the cost, I could add it to the commitment cost and wrap it all together for those that sign up.

Reactions: DaveL

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I like the idea of a patch but I have no creativity as far as that goes!

If you come up with something, be sure to add Joshua Trees and something about miners...

And if you tell me the cost, I could add it to the commitment cost and wrap it all together for those that sign up.
That's Not a bad idea.. I have a guy I could get to make them. Depending on how intricate they and how many we want will dictate price. I would guestimate between 5 or 7 bucks per patch but I won't know for sure until I talk to him... If people want me to move forward with this, I will.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Zargon and DaveL

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you think you could come up with a cool design in a quality patch by that time? For 7 bucks? Wow, that would be like magic, check it out and see what you come up with.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

So I've been thinking.. And if there is enough nterest.. I am a patch collector and was thinking about having a run of 50 patches made for this event. I have connections to make the patch but I need ideas on artwork. Is anyone else interested in a 1 off Mojave patch for this trip?

Totally interested in a patch! Maybe have a scorpion on it, or something iconic on the rout like the bridge, water crossing or traveler's monument. And "Overland Bound" of course with a run title like "Spring Stampede 2017" or just "Mojave Road Run 2017" or you could number them: Desert Jam 1.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR

I was thinking maybe an oval or rectangle with a desert tortoise (maybe with a roof rack), Overland Bound and "Mojave Road 2017". That way it isn't too busy - it gets hard to fit a lot of text on a patch. We would want Michael's approval to use OB name.

The tortoise seems about right given how many times we'll have to stop with a group this big.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I was thinking maybe an oval or rectangle with a desert tortoise (maybe with a roof rack), Overland Bound and "Mojave Road 2017". That way it isn't too busy - it gets hard to fit a lot of text on a patch. We would want Michael's approval to use OB name.

The tortoise seems about right given how many times we'll have to stop with a group this big.

Fitting.

Reactions: Zargon and Narbob

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I just spoke to the NPS at Kelso Depot for an update on the now "Wet Soda Lake" conditions. Matt said it is still impassable. Since I will be making the trek single vehicle and days ahead of this group I will take a detour if the Impassable Caution is still in place. I can't risk getting stuck on my way to a wedding. I sure hope it dries up a lot in the next few weeks. BTW what would you do?

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I just spoke to the NPS at Kelso Depot for an update on the now "Wet Soda Lake" conditions. Matt said it is still impassable. Since I will be making the trek single vehicle and days ahead of this group I will take a detour if the Impassable Caution is still in place. I can't risk getting stuck on my way to a wedding. I sure hope it dries up a lot in the next few weeks. BTW what would you do?
Excellent info and exactly what I would have expected, this has been a very unusual rainy season. If I were a single vehicle when I was there a month ago, I would still be there, up to my axles in greasy, salty mud!

I would do the same thing you've chosen I think. If you go to the east-most edge of the dry lake, you can camp at Green Rock and then shoot up to the I-15 at Baker. From Baker, you go west to the Rasor Road exit, head down into the OHV area and pick the trail back up after the Travelers Monument. You can pretty safely drive out to the Monument from there if you want, should be OK to go at least that close to the Lake.

Thanks for the info.

Dan.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have emailed my patch connection to see what he can come up with for a design. I am thinking we need a tortoise on the patch as well. If anyone wants to sketch up a design in the mean time, feel free.

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I have emailed my patch connection to see what he can come up with for a design. I am thinking we need a tortoise on the patch as well. If anyone wants to sketch up a design in the mean time, feel free.
I'm going to try to sketch up something myself, or have a friend who is a good illustrator maybe do me a favor and sketch up something, since it'll take him 5 minutes to do what would take me two hours.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Fj80 toyman,

Thanks for the bypass advice. Are there other wet areas other than the lake and the Affton area to be concerned with?

Reactions: Joel 11k and Zargon

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm going to try to sketch up something myself, or have a friend who is a good illustrator maybe do me a favor and sketch up something, since it'll take him 5 minutes to do what would take me two hours.
That would be awesome. If I can supply him the artwork it will likely being the cost down on the patches. I am thinking a 3x3" round patch.