Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I also am going to be probably falling into the CB crowd. I wanted to get my HAM License before the trip, but I just don't have the time by the looks of things. Is there any reason why we shouldn't be using MUR's frequencies? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you don't need any license to transmit, and you should get all the benefits of HAM.
It depends on the setup but from the graphs I've seen HAM has maybe 50-100% more range, plus you can use repeaters. Murs should be fine inside a group but won't reach between groups leaving at one hour intervals, especially on handhelds.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zargon

pabloquiros

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Morro Bay, California
Member #

So I have a question about comms.

I only have FMRS right now, and by the looks of it everyone will be using something else for the trip. So I am cool with buying something but it has to be portable (i dont want fixed antennas on the truck).

I've been doing some reading and I think CB is what I should get since for HAM i will have to get a cert and a bunch of other things. Can anyone shed some light or give me a suggestion on this?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Cb is the way to go. I planned to bring my frs radios and a cb and I also will have a ham but unless I can manage to get my license before this trip I won't be talking on the ham.

Reactions: pabloquiros

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
So I have a question about comms.

I only have FMRS right now, and by the looks of it everyone will be using something else for the trip. So I am cool with buying something but it has to be portable (i dont want fixed antennas on the truck).

I've been doing some reading and I think CB is what I should get since for HAM i will have to get a cert and a bunch of other things. Can anyone shed some light or give me a suggestion on this?
I'm sure some people will that frs or some similar inexpensive handheld... You can buy a baofeng from Amazon for like $30 that will work with that. I have CB but I don't really think it's worth it given the poor range. Taking the HAM exam is pretty easy and costs about $15, and reportedly they are issuing licenses in a week or so lately, so I'm planning to try to do that then use my Baofeng on HAM frequencies.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I think frs will be a good option but I don't know how many will have them. In my thinking and recommendations, I decided not to make a channel list because there are just too many choices. It's up to the group to decide which channel and pl tone to use.
My son took his Ham exam in early December and didn't get his call sign for about a month just as a point of reference.
I read somewhere that you could use your radio if you pass your exam, and before you get your unique call sign but now I can't find it!
Anyway, if you are bent on buying a radio, cb is good but try to get a good mag-mount antenna, it will make your experience so much better.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Narbob and Zargon

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Folks that I have spoken with are getting call signs for Ham in a week. A month sounds like anomaly.
Yeah, one of the guys at work did this two weeks ago and got his callsign online in under a week. The trick is to not wait for the letter.

Reactions: RobRed

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

With all due respect having multiple platforms for comms is going to be confusing for folks. Being friendly and inclusive with the lowest barrier to entry is awesome but like having a porta-potty as a requirement there should be a minimum comms requirement. And it should be coordinated for the safety and enjoyment of all participants.

Leads and Tails should have designated freqs. There should also be a chatter channel for drivers, leads / tails should be monitoring that too. Since you are in multiple groups there should be a designated all call channel.

Even Ham radio wont reach the first group from the last group if you are leaving an hour apart. On that topic I would have the first group roll out early - if the stagger is 1 hour and you are planning 50 dirt miles a day, group 5 will always be in the dark on camp arrival... and be bored on camp exit because you are sitting for hours waiting to go.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

With all due respect having multiple platforms for comms is going to be confusing for folks. Being friendly and inclusive with the lowest barrier to entry is awesome but like having a porta-potty as a requirement there should be a minimum comms requirement. And it should be coordinated for the safety and enjoyment of all participants.

Leads and Tails should have designated freqs. There should also be a chatter channel for drivers, leads / tails should be monitoring that too. Since you are in multiple groups there should be a designated all call channel.

Even Ham radio wont reach the first group from the last group if you are leaving an hour apart. On that topic I would have the first group roll out early - if the stagger is 1 hour and you are planning 50 dirt miles a day, group 5 will always be in the dark on camp arrival... and be bored on camp exit because you are sitting for hours waiting to go.
All great points brother. Cb is a lot more common than ham so my thought is we make Cb a requirement for the trip. I picked up a uniden handheld Cb for $45 On Amazon. Given the amount of participants in the trip and all of the people interested, if they don't have a cb they can easily pick up a handheld before the trip.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N43KM5S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487270716&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=uniden+handheld+cb&dpPl=1&dpID=21eIIYVtoUL&ref=plSrch

Reactions: boss324 and Zargon

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Rock solid points

Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
Require CB (or FRS, which is even cheaper and more common) for all vehicles, and have the leads on HAM. It's easier to monitor and split traffic that way anyway. FRS is likely a bit easier to segregate and avoid conflict with other users, too.

CC_FJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aliso Viejo, CA
Member #

Hey All! I'm new to the forum, and my husband and I would love to join in on this run...Hope we're not too late...Any spots left?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@Tom K @aaa247 @CC_FJ I added you to the appropriate list.

As for the "tentative" list, this is essentially becoming the wait list, we're shooting for a max of 40 trucks to provide the illusion of manageable size :sweatsmile: .

At T-1month, I'm going to make a call to get folks committed, we'll see who can be ready to put their iron in the fire so-to-speak.

Man, am I getting stoked for this trip! Here's hoping the 'rainy season' is over before then! :flushed:

aaa247

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
Member #

As for the "tentative" list, this is essentially becoming the wait list, we're shooting for a max of 40 trucks to provide the illusion of manageable size :sweatsmile: .

At T-1month, I'm going to make a call to get folks committed, we'll see who can be ready to put their iron in the fire so-to-speak.

Man, am I getting stoked for this trip! Here's hoping the 'rainy season' is over before then! :flushed:
Thank you for the update, looking forward to meeting everyone and getting my truck in the dirt!

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I had initially been a yes, and then had a scheduling issue that has now gone away...how deep is the wait list?