Mojave Road - Memorial Day Weekend 2017

• HTML tutorial

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Going to run this on Memorial Day weekend, planning to drive over to the NV side and then run from that direction. I will be heading over from a trade show in Anaheim, so will most likely be heading over on friday and actually starting the trail Sat AM. My schedule has some flex in it however as I dont need to be home till Weds.

As the others in my group are having issues committing, I was curious if anyone else on here will be out there that weekend?

Thanks,
Nate

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

How hot is gonna be down there memorial day weekend?

The Unshaven

Rank I

Traveler I

Going to run this on Memorial Day weekend, planning to drive over to the NV side and then run from that direction. I will be heading over from a trade show in Anaheim, so will most likely be heading over on friday and actually starting the trail Sat AM. My schedule has some flex in it however as I dont need to be home till Weds.

As the others in my group are having issues committing, I was curious if anyone else on here will be out there that weekend?

Thanks,
Nate
Hey Nate, The Mojave Road has been on my list for a while now and I was planning to do a trip to somewhere Memorial weekend. I've been hoping to do the Mojave Road trip with someone who has done it before since I'll be a noob. I'd be happy to join you and/or the group you've got if you'll have me. I would have to be back to work on Tuesday unless I take another day or two off, lemme know your current travel plans via PM or here in his thread. I'll also have the Friday prior as a scheduled day off to meet up for Saturday morning departure.
Thanks, Joe

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Ok,
Chatted w the wifey and we are all good for the group meetup. Ill PM you guys and we can share #'s . We are camping just off the start of the trail Friday night, so we can figure a good meet/start time for Saturday.

We may have one other truck joining, so at this point lets make a small convoy. We will be following the route posted in the forum here with the detour, and hitting some of the sights along the way.

If anyone else is joining let me know and we will get you in on the group message.

Thanks,
Nate

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
I just created a thread.. I will be doing Mojave to Grand Canyon over memorial weekend... (4days total) Leaving Mammoth Lakes Ca. So far Is 2 rigs and 3 dogs. 2 ankle biters and a Young German Shepherd. I asked for any input on a route from Mojave to GC preferably off pavement.. How long are you all planning to be in Mojave and what is the timeline? this is my first multiple day trip on the move (aka overland) I have camped plenty before but usually dedicated campsites so I think It will be very interesting and a learning curve.

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

This trip will be 3 days, you can do the road in 2 if you hustle, over a week for full exploration.

We will be running east to west, so opposite you, but, I am working on figuring out camp sites now so we can let you know where we will be if you make it that far on day 1.
At the least , wave when you see the convoy! My truck is hard to miss, and it seems we have 4-5 running with us now.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

nomadnev

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sausalito
Member #

Hi guys, my wife and I just drove the Mojave Road on the way to overland Expo - it was awesome and pretty straightforward with a good map / nav (we used Gaia and off line google maps, google has the most complete Mojave Road route). Just wanted to share a word of caution - depending on where you start the road - we started at Afton Canyon (north east of Barstow on highway 15). Past Afton Canyon Campground there is a deep flooded section before the trestle train bridge. It was very deep - we don't have a snorkel but made it across - the water did came over the hood of our Tacoma even at very slow speed. We lost Traction once or twice but made it through - it's only a 35ft stretch - but water did get into the cab. Hopefully it's subsided now and a little more straightforward to cross. Hope you have a great trip!

Reactions: ProceedToParty

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Yea we managed the water crossing fine w our rigs, that crossing is there pretty much year round and we expected it but thanks for the heads up. It was a great trip and I will do a trip report and share the gps file we used before too long.

Reactions: ProceedToParty