Mojave Road End of June

• HTML tutorial

DannyR53

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA, USA
Member #

Hey guys! I'm currently debating doing a Mojave Road run with a few friends the end of this month. I'm curious to see if anyone has done the trail during the summer? Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The heat would be a major concern for me - partially due to overheating and partially due to a minor mechanical issue can rapidly turn into a life-threatening one. I wouldn't go if temps are too high. If you do go, go prepared - tons of water, other vehicles, etc.

Reactions: DannyR53

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Sounds like fun! It will be hot, but shouldn’t be too bad, the ends of the trail being the hottest. The middle of the trail is fairly high in elevation and you can get off the trail to find good camp spots in the New York Mountains that are higher and cooler. Do be prepared though, there won’t be many other people out there in case you have any problems and need any help.

DannyR53

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA, USA
Member #

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to plan this one out and to bring more than an ample amount of supplies. We're hoping to get a few more rigs to come and join us. Hey Brent you game?

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to plan this one out and to bring more than an ample amount of supplies. We're hoping to get a few more rigs to come and join us. Hey Brent you game?
Maybe, what dates were you thinking?

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
Drove 395 from Santee to Bishop two days ago. 100 degrees in the desert.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How many days were you planning? You can do it in a weekend if you dont sight see. I usually do 4-5 days there in the fall. I follow the route with a bunch of side trips. The summer day heat dosent bother me as much as the night heat makes it hard to sleep. Early October it can still be 100+ (or cold. Stupid desert).

DannyR53

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA, USA
Member #

How many days were you planning? You can do it in a weekend if you dont sight see. I usually do 4-5 days there in the fall. I follow the route with a bunch of side trips. The summer day heat dosent bother me as much as the night heat makes it hard to sleep. Early October it can still be 100+ (or cold. Stupid desert).
We are planning on doing 4 day and 3 night trip, which should give us some time to explore a little. It seems like the extreme temps can't be avoided hopefully it won't be too bad. I just realized the IE group is going in November, that will probably be the best option.

Reactions: smritte