Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey Overlanders,

I have a trip in 1.5 weeks to Mojave Road planned and am looking for any road reports, trail conditions, dry lake bed info or Mojave River crossing information that anyone who has done the trail recently can provide? I talked to the Kelso Rangers District mid-week, but it sounds like they don't really go on the trial much.....so help was....limited.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Reactions: StokelyVanCamp

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hey Overlanders,

I have a trip in 1.5 weeks to Mojave Road planned and am looking for any road reports, trail conditions, dry lake bed info or Mojave River crossing information that anyone who has done the trail recently can provide? I talked to the Kelso Rangers District mid-week, but it sounds like they don't really go on the trial much.....so help was....limited.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
We ran it March 21/25. Smooth sailing and the lake bed was dry and dusty. Afton river crossing was mid door on my 3 1/2 “ lifted JKU on 35’s, no one in our group had issues crossing. Safe travels!!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Ive had the same experience with the rangers, they seem to rely on reports from users for their own trail reports.

We were there last week, it was in great shape, very little water except in Afton Canyon and the last water crossing.
That was as deep as it ever gets, completely passable, but don't take it for granted.

The lakebed was dry and firm but clear signs of recent water, it's amazing how fast it gets dry.
I think a week before we were there, reports of a very muddy crossing were real, but we found it completely passable.
I haven't seen / heard any more rain in that area, so I would make the assumption that it's safe to pass, but of course exercise normal caution and if it appears to be getting wet approaching the middle, be very careful. It's always more wet in the middle and the main water channel.

Depending on how many days you plan, Death Valley mine is always a good side-trip, we even went further north to the Evening Star mine which was pretty cool.

Take enough gas, I would say 5 gal extra might be enough if you fill up at the river, but 10 could certainly be emptied by the end of the trail.

Have fun!

(looks like Bob beat me to the response!)

Dan.

Reactions: Narbob

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thanks for the report Dan!

Good to hear the trail is in good order. I plan to hit DV Mine and Afton Mine.

For the gas, you used your reserve? The Mojave Road start to finish is only 160+ side treks. Am I missing something?

Thanks
M

Ive had the same experience with the rangers, they seem to rely on reports from users for their own trail reports.

We were there last week, it was in great shape, very little water except in Afton Canyon and the last water crossing.
That was as deep as it ever gets, completely passable, but don't take it for granted.

The lakebed was dry and firm but clear signs of recent water, it's amazing how fast it gets dry.
I think a week before we were there, reports of a very muddy crossing were real, but we found it completely passable.
I haven't seen / heard any more rain in that area, so I would make the assumption that it's safe to pass, but of course exercise normal caution and if it appears to be getting wet approaching the middle, be very careful. It's always more wet in the middle and the main water channel.

Depending on how many days you plan, Death Valley mine is always a good side-trip, we even went further north to the Evening Star mine which was pretty cool.

Take enough gas, I would say 5 gal extra might be enough if you fill up at the river, but 10 could certainly be emptied by the end of the trail.

Have fun!

(looks like Bob beat me to the response!)

Dan.

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hi Mike, glad to see you gearing up, you must be pumped to go!

On the gas, I’ve heard from quite a few sources that 5 gal extra is good to have, unless you plan on heading out to I-15, Baker or other.

If I remember correctly, one report said that with a JKU they had 1.5 gallons when they gassed up in Barstow.

I’m planning on taking two 5 gal cans, one for my 4Runner and one for the Jeep.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hi Mike, glad to see you gearing up, you must be pumped to go!

On the gas, I’ve heard from quite a few sources that 5 gal extra is good to have, unless you plan on heading out to I-15, Baker or other.

If I remember correctly, one report said that with a JKU they had 1.5 gallons when they gassed up in Barstow.

I’m planning on taking two 5 gal cans, one for my 4Runner and one for the Jeep.
Interesting as the trail is only 160 miles from Avi to I15 out of Afton area. We are going to take some detours, but I get about 15mpg on trails so figured I'd have plenty. I am taking my 5gal extra, but may take a bit more then. I'll research a bit too.

Thanks all! Stoked!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Interesting as the trail is only 160 miles from Avi to I15 out of Afton area. We are going to take some detours, but I get about 15mpg on trails so figured I'd have plenty. I am taking my 5gal extra, but may take a bit more then. I'll research a bit too.

Thanks all! Stoked!

HI Mike, You're right, if you went straight through, you'd have enough, I've done that a couple times. Difference is, I have an aux tank and I don't think about it much. My only experience for gas consumption is what others with only stock tanks have on hand, and they have dropped in an extra 5 gals so they don't have to worry about jumping up to Baker. (and the gas is in their tank instead of hanging off the back of their truck).

Our recent trip was for about 5 days, one day we did a loop from Mojave Camp down to Kelso Depot, then up to Lava Tube, and over to Evening star mine which was quite a long loop. There were several in the group that went up to Cima to fill up, after that it was no worries.

Dan.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thanks Dan!

Yes, we will make our way through Cima for the DV mine. Those that need it can gas up if they have some.

M

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

We just did the Mojave Rd this past weekend and we had no issues at Soda Lake. It is completely passable. As mentioned in a previous post, the water crossing at Afton was the deepest I have ever seen it. I had some serious pucker going on when crossing it. Here is a video my buddy took when I crossed.

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
I traveled the Mojave Road from April 1st to 3rd with several other vehicles mostly JK and JLs.
Soda lake raod was dry but wet to each side. Mojave River crossing was up to the top of a JL with 37 inch tires. Only 2 vehicles did the crossing.
My 4runner had between a half and quarter tank of fuel remaining.