First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hey everyone,

Great to do good for the society last weekend in the Mojave desert! Here are a few pictures from the cleanup!
View attachment 177191View attachment 177192View attachment 177194
WOW, look at all that junk.. I heard that the plan was to segregate historical junk, from just plain junk. Who travels way out of their way to dump in the boondocks (rhetorical) . More before and after pictures please. Were the park service people happy with the turn-out and clean-up process?

Thx to all who participated:hearteyes:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
WOW, look at all that junk.. I heard that the plan was to segregate historical junk, from just plain junk. Who travels way out of their way to dump in the boondocks (rhetorical) . More before and after pictures please. Were the park service people happy with the turn-out and clean-up process?

Thx to all who participated:hearteyes:
In the pits was a lampshade from Kelso Depot roughly 1940's. So yes the Park Archaeologist was right there watching what came in order to see if there was any historical value. The main mission here was to cleanup the mine agrounds so visitors like us can have a good experience.
The National Park Service are extremely happy with the work done both at Death Valley and Kessler Ranch, they had a large contingent of people there at the sites helping.
We will be putting together a video of the event and hopefully the group that went will start a google drive to share pictures.
Next event in the preserve will be in March with two major projects. We are also working with Death Valley NP to get a project going there before June 2021.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The dumpsters on the receiving end about halfway through the process...

View attachment 177258

View attachment 177256
1/2 way thru clean-up, and the 40 cubic yard dumpster looks to be over 2/3 full. That 2nd picture really tells a story about a unfortunate amount of uncaring people out there.

PS: Reread Kent's post,.........just how many dumpster's did you fill at just that location? and the other?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note:
I was at Kelso, after the UP razed what was left of the Company town (UPRR) in the 1990's. The depot was of course closed down at the time, and the only people there were the track crews/train workers at the location. I believe they also provide power units (locomotives) to help with steep grade conditions South of Nipton CA. My ex used to work for the UP as a crew transporter. She had stayed at Kelso a few times. Her job was to drive relief crews to trains where they had run out of time on their shifts per DOT hour limit transportation rules. She also brought out food to crews who were stuck on sidings also.

I never got back there, to see the renovation completion of the station. The style of the former UPRR station is very similar to the now government building in Caliente NV, because it was deeded by the UP to the county township decades ago. A nice way to preserve historical architecture.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexAtWagan

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #