Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Love that area, any recommendations on a good entry level telescope?
There are some cool basic telescopes from Celestron and others. That said the difference between a $100-$200 telescope and a $500-$700 telescope is really significant. It's more about the steadiness and quality of the mounts and computer assistance than anything. The optics are better too of course but even less expensive telescope will make the moon look amazing. Planets benefit from a little more magnification. But when you go out to dark skies and start looking at dim, faint objects, aperture (diameter of the lens or mirror) makes a huge difference. So... buy the biggest aperture telescope your budget can handle for that. The other thing to consider is how much computer help you want. A telescope that is computer driven or works with an app on your phone will help you find a lot of things to see much more easily. Without that you need some good charts and a basic familiarity with the night sky. BTW, even regular old binoculars are really good too for viewing the moon and some wider star formations. They can be little harder to hold still but I love them.

A few of options at really different price points:

Entry level, ~$100

Basic computer/phone compatible, ~$200

Best starter telescopes that are very high quality, ~$500 - $800 (not cheap but very good)

Break the bank, ~$1700. (I think this is the optimal combination of large aperture and portability, but it's a lot of $$$).

Here are a couple of shots I've taken with a small 3 inch telescopes. They look much smaller through an eye piece but this is the kind of detail you can sometimes see... if the atmosphere if stable and clear.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Reactions: Mrprez

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
Fletcher:
This adventure still a go for Friday?
Weather in area for Friday a bit unsettled.
Could meet up at Mojave Rd sign and Cedar Cyn if you have an ETA.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Fletcher:
This adventure still a go for Friday?
Weather in area for Friday a bit unsettled.
Could meet up at Mojave Rd sign and Cedar Cyn if you have an ETA.

The weather for Friday night might not be great for Astronomy but I'm still going to go out there. Saturday looks a little be better. We'll see. It will still be fun either way.

I could meet you at the Mojave Rd sign and Cedar Cyn as early at 3pm if I get going on time. I'm hoping to get out early to make sure the camp is available. Do you want me to text you when I'm leaving to confirm my ETA? My number, for in route, is 310-614-2083. Once we get out on the trial I'll switch to Ham and GMRS.

Reactions: Joe A W

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
That would be fine. My number is 714 969 8368.
Should take me about 2 hours to reach Cedar Canyon Rd and the sign.
Accordding to the current weather forecast possible snow and rain in that area today.

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Were still coming Tonight see you around 6ish Might even stop and Purchase more Fire Wood

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I only did from Lanfair Road to Carruthers Canyon Turn-off It was Normal for those few Miles. Have fun Be Safe