Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Planning a Mojave Rd run in December. It will be our first trip to the desert, any input will be appreciated. Getting the LR4 geared up. New A/T tires and 2” lift installed. Roof rack, maybe a beastly high axle trailer is next.
Very doable but plan on freezing temps at night. Might not happen but you’ll be prepared. Mojave Road is a good diverse route, with lots to see.

Reactions: Bad Sport

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
I went the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago. Consistently in the low 30s overnight but beautiful and warm during the day. Liquor jacket helps but a decent sleeping bag and you should be fine. I recommend going past the "limit" on the bag and get something in the single digits. My 20F bag as enough to make it but not super comfy.

The trail itself is not difficult so more of nice tour with plenty to see. Think our route was about 115 miles. Didn't need fuel but had some anyways. Had a vehicle with stock lift and tires make it with only a slow leak we kept airing up.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Im out there all the time. The weather is very unpredictable this far out. I usually take a group after Thanksgiving and the week after Christmas. The rest of the time I'm just out there camping. October/November is commonly nice December/January is normally 20 degrees colder then warming up Feb/March with the season ending in late May.

I have had new Year runs be anywhere from mild to cold, clear to heavy rain and one trip 20's and an ice storm on New Year eve. I can say most of the time its not bad. The wind pops up quite often. If you see a temp change coming, you have wind.
I can run the whole route in 2wd except for two areas with sand, commonly pulling my teardrop trailer.
If its raining or just got done raining, stay away from soda dry lake. Not only is it real slick but the mud is caustic. That's where the Travelers Monument is on the Razor Road side.
When I take groups out there, I prefer going four days. You can run the route in a tiring two but I take people on side trips to see things. I also prefer to run east to West. The reason is the route goes across then dog legs south, paralleling the freeway. If you wanted or needed to exit early, you have three paths taking you out.

A favorite of mine is heading straight to Baker then going into Death Valley and out. That would be a five day trip.

Reactions: Tripin75 and Ubiety

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
I usually take a group after Thanksgiving
We are currently planning a trip for the weekend after Thanksgiving (26th-28th). We will be leaving from Vegas so we are presently thinking East to West. This will be our first "Overlanding" trip. We have car camped countless times and done some offroading but never together.

This is our first trip west, so I would love to get Tracks, Routes, Tips, and Suggestions!

Also we are currently looking for some to tag along with (we would like some babysitters).

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We are currently planning a trip for the weekend after Thanksgiving (26th-28th). We will be leaving from Vegas so we are presently thinking East to West. This will be our first "Overlanding" trip. We have car camped countless times and done some offroading but never together.

This is our first trip west, so I would love to get Tracks, Routes, Tips, and Suggestions!

Also we are currently looking for some to tag along with (we would like some babysitters).
East to west is the best way to travel the Mojave Road, lots to see both on the trail and the side trails.
The track is on Overland Bound 1 but if you need the GPX file here it is.

Attachments

Reactions: KM4DWS

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
East to west is the best way to travel the Mojave Road, lots to see both on the trail and the side trails.
The track is on Overland Bound 1 but if you need the GPX file here it is.
Thank you so much.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you so much.
Anytime, Overland Bound is in the Mojave twice a year for Trail Guardian projects our next one is October 15.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Anytime, Overland Bound is in the Mojave twice a year for Trail Guardian projects our next one is October 15.
I hope to be able to make it to one of those one day.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Send me a message in early November. I normally visit my family in Vegas for Thanksgiving then go out from there.

Reactions: KM4DWS