Illinois
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCU217 (GMRS)
Good Evening All. Looking for some information, hope someone can help. I'm currently planning a trip to Mojave Road/Death Valley in late February of 2021. Where could I get some historical information on the weather for this time of the year. I'm still new to the overloading scene and wanting to be well prepared. Thanks in Advance.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Death Valley fuel is found in Stove pipe wells, Furnace Creek, Beatty and if you come in through Panamint, Trona and Panamint Springs (most of the time).
If your going from the Mojave road to Death Valley, fuel in Laughland (start). Where you exit to go to Death Valley will be your next fuel. The route kinda does west then it gets close to I-15 it sorta goes south and parallels the highway. Baker is about the 2/3 mark and is a straight shot across to Death Valley. The route heads south now and next fuel is Razor Road. If you go the full route and come back up, Razor will be the first fuel.

Weather. Mojave Road, I use Laughland (east side), Baker (west) and Barstow (south). Death valley, Death Valley (stove pipe), Big Pine (way north end), Baker (east), Trona (south east)
Look at temps and wind advisories. Track it for a few days before. If the weather is shifting from warm to cold or cold to warm, you normally get wind.
I was at Death Valley last week. In four days it went from high 90's in Furnace creek to low 20's as I came out the north end. Elevation was from 100(ish) below sea level to almost 7000 ft.

Reactions: williad2

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

I'd suggest you buy "Mojave Road Guide" by Dennis G. Casebier. It's considered the bible to the Mojave Road.
Highly recommend this book, not only is it great for researching the trip but the amount of history he has in the book just makes it a great read by itself.

redquatquat

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Emmanuel
Last Name
B
Member #

I have one question for the Mojave Road, I am wondering of there is a recommended way to travel it or of both side are same (east to west vs west to east).
I have the impression most of the trip I've seen online are from east to west.
Thanks

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I prefer east to west. The trail ends about 90 mins from my house that way. Otherwise its 3.5 hours home. The other reason for me is the route heads toward I-15 then somewhat follows it. That gives a few more spots if you need to drop out. If your driving a long way, you can spend the night in Laughlin before. If you go west to east you could end it in a hotel also.

Reactions: redquatquat

BBOY777

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Forest, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
B
Member #

Great fun trail! My buddies and I will be doing this Mojave Rd from March 12-15th 2021. This will be my 4th time doing the trail in the last 10 years. There is do many people that go out there your bound to run into other groups there. Late February still very cold at night and can easily get a dust of snow fall.
Favorite stops is the volcano tubes, miles of sand dunes, and the famous river crossing. We went from east to west in 4 days and 3 nights.