First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Krollyota!

I agree that the Yaesu FTM-400 is a great radio, but I just purchased the FTM-300D about a week ago from HRO- Oakland for $419. That is about 100 off the FTM-400 price. What helped in my decision was that I'm using it for a base unit. The FTM-400 does not attach to the main base unit....must be separated for installation. Check out youtube for comparison of the two radios. I'm just south of you in San Lorenzo if you need help with the install. I run the FTM-100D in my truck and love it!

N6LRC

Purchased the FTM-100 beginning of last year. Wanted a comparable small radio w/ 2m/70cm, APRS and detachable headunit. At that time I just dind´t know that it will be discontinued and the FTM-300 would have been available later here in Europe. From what I have read the FTM-300 is a great radio. Now I would very likely pruchase the FTM-300. But I also like the FTM-100. Maybe it is still available in some shops for a discounted price?

I documented the installation here. Maybe it will help someone.

Reactions: Ubiety

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I absolutely love my FTM-400. While the mic cable connects at the main radio, instead of the remote head, I got an extension cable and routed it to where I wanted it without issue. Main radio is mounted under the passenger seat and remote head is detachable on a 67 Designs dash mount. Easy programming, easy menu system (once familiar with it). As for digital, Fusion works well point to point or repeater. With the different ones not being compatible (without extra tech), I picked one to go with.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Is ham radio going to be a hobby for you? For convoy/trail/back country comms, I wouldn't worry about digital as much as the preferred digital system may change geographically. It could be d-star in on area, DMR in another and System Fusion somewhere else and a single radio won't do all of them.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Is ham radio going to be a hobby for you? For convoy/trail/back country comms, I wouldn't worry about digital as much as the preferred digital system may change geographically. It could be d-star in on area, DMR in another and System Fusion somewhere else and a single radio won't do all of them.
Yes, I've been a ham radio operator for many years and have had a mobile radio (or two) in my vehicles as well. I see digital as a cool function, has some benefits, but as you said, too much incompatibility. I also have a GMRS handheld for when with other in convoy/group settings with nonhams, may upgrade to GMRS mobile eventually.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I know you said mic connected to the headunit....but....
The Kenwood TM-V71A may be worth looking into. If you are mounting the radio under the seat that's not too far to run a mic extension. If you are mounting the radio in the back you will have to run the external speaker extension anyway so what's one more wire for a mic extension?
The V71A is a dual band/dual receive radio that you can add APRS onto later and it will do APRS and Voice at the same time like it's bigger brother the 710G. The Yaesu FTM-300 doesn't do that as far as I recall, it's APRS or Voice but not both at the same time. The FTM-400 can do both.
Hey just another option, doesn't help narrow down your decision any. :laughing:

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
Any Ham radio experts out there? I'm a Ham rookie, and need some guidance. I'm looking for a Moblie Ham for my 4Runner. I know this can turn into a deep rabbit hole... BUT...
I'm looking for something with a detachable control head, and preferably one that has the option to plug the microphone into the control head.
I'll be mounting the base either under the passenger seat or in the rear quarter panel area, so I'll need a good compatible small external speaker to mount to the dash as well.
I'm also trying to keep the overall footprint of the control head and speaker to a minimum up on the dash.
2m & 70cm capable.
True dual band/VFO.
I'd like to future proof this, for when my Ham skills improve, so digital is preferred? I think?

By front runners so far are:
Kenwood TM-D710GA
Yaesu FTM-300DR
Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Icom IC-2730A (for its simplicity and option to plug the mic into the controller)

Open to any and all advice.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick, I went with a used Yaesu FT 7900 it’s a basic dual band radio with 50 watts of power. If you check local ham clubs, QRZ, etc. you may find an inexpensive radio that you can use until you are ready to take the big dollar digital plunge.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Rick, I went with a used Yaesu FT 7900 it’s a basic dual band radio with 50 watts of power. If you check local ham clubs, QRZ, etc. you may find an inexpensive radio that you can use until you are ready to take the big dollar digital plunge.
Yep - we all have our own needs/wants/desires and getting the radio that fits yours only makes sense. I just happen to be an APRS freak :)

Reactions: RMCM and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nothing wrong with that... I started out with a Yaesu FT-2900 a single band 75 watt 2meter discontinued radio.. it is now in another OB members shack. When I had the ability to upgrade I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMCM and Ubiety