• HTML tutorial

ToyoMo

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Eagle, NE
Member #

Memorial Day 2016 my family and I travelled to Moab to stay with Tom at Base Camp Adventure Lodge. It is truly an awesome place! We stayed at the Lodge because for the short time we were there it was just easier with the kiddos. Tom also goes above and beyond to guide you to the best places to see depending on your interests.

We used the Lodge side by side and drove out to Wind cave and Chicken Corner. It was a lot easier than taking the Quigley the entire trail, and more fuel efficient to boot!

To get there you turn west on to Kane Creek Rd. in Moab. This leads you on a paved road out of town. The paved road turns into a rocky dirt road about 6 miles out of town. The sights make it hard to concentrate on driving. Don't forget to stop and look at the Petroglyphs! Some are next to the road, some require a hike.

A ways later you cross a cattle guard and pass a sign notifying you that the maintained road ends and to enter at your own risk. The look on the wife's face at that point was priceless! She exclaimed "That was a maintained road?" We're from the Midwest, what more can I say? LOL

Beyond that it is about an hour to get to the lodge if you take your time and stop to enjoy the sights. The view from the top of Hurrah Pass is amazing and worth exploring on foot.

The back side of the pass is fun due to the switchbacks and narrowness of the trail. Your passengers will have a million dollar view as that is the drop off side. The entrance to the lodge is marked inconspicuously. Be careful not to miss it as it is difficult to turn around on the ledges that will be encountered shortly after passing the lodge.

Beyond the entrance to the lodge you climb some mild ledges and there is a mix of sandy and rocky trail out to a giant mound of rocks. This is Wind Cave. The entire structure is swiss cheesed with little caverns throughout. Nothing is deep enough that you need a flashlight to explore. This is also BLM land. Camping is free in designated spots but make sure you bring your portapotty. The fine for not having one is steep....

Beyond Wind Cave lies Chicken Corner. It is a drive to get there but definitely worth it! There is also marked camping all along the trail. Chicken Corner is a walking path that goes next to a sheer drop. Not for the faint of heart!

After that you just head back the way you came. This trail can be done in a day but I would suggest an overnight trip to fully explore all that it offers. Unfortunately I am in a place at the moment where I can't upload pics, but I will upload them once I get home.