Moab/ canyonlands trip

• HTML tutorial

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Hey everyone my family is going out to Moab for the first time this spring. We will be there for about a week. I'm trying to plan out what needs to be on my list of things to do/see. I'm not looking to do any hardcore wheeling but want to do some lighter stuff. My parents and sister will be with me so having a scenic view or hike will be a big plus of a trail.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

The Long Canyon/Shaffer Switchbacks/Potash Rd loop is spectacular. Its a very easy loop with only 1 small ledge near the top of Long Canyon. The views from the entire trip are amazing.

Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon(trail to the bottom of Gemini Bridges) are also easy to get to and fun. Hiking over the bridges is something you wont forget.

Drive out to Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. More easy dirt roads with views and picture opportunities everywhere. The Walk around Chicken Corner is well worth it.

Head out to Tusher Tunnel. Easy trail with some sand to play in. The hike through the tunnel is awesome plus theres a few other slots around it to explore.

For just Hiking.... the trails in Arches and Canyonlands cant be beat.

Reactions: Tbell18

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

The Long Canyon/Shaffer Switchbacks/Potash Rd loop is spectacular. Its a very easy loop with only 1 small ledge near the top of Long Canyon. The views from the entire trip are amazing.

Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon(trail to the bottom of Gemini Bridges) are also easy to get to and fun. Hiking over the bridges is something you wont forget.

Drive out to Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. More easy dirt roads with views and picture opportunities everywhere. The Walk around Chicken Corner is well worth it.

Head out to Tusher Tunnel. Easy trail with some sand to play in. The hike through the tunnel is awesome plus theres a few other slots around it to explore.

For just Hiking.... the trails in Arches and Canyonlands cant be beat.
Awesome! thank you. My family is big into going to national parks and doing alot of hiking.

Is there any medium difficulty trails you would recommend? Enough to test the truck a little ut not hard enough to have my mom get mad at me from the back seat.

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Awesome! thank you. My family is big into going to national parks and doing alot of hiking.

Is there any medium difficulty trails you would recommend? Enough to test the truck a little ut not hard enough to have my mom get mad at me from the back seat.
Fins N Things for sure. Its a MUST -DO for Moab first-timers. It looks a lot harder than it is. The steep climbs are smooth and easy and the drops are fun.

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

If you have time to go to Canyonlands Needles District, run the Elephant Hill Trail and hike out to the Colorado/Green River Confluence. The entire trail is easy to moderate as long as you dont go south to SOB hill. You need a permit to run this trail as well.

Also hike the short Cave Spring trail as well.

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Fins N Things for sure. Its a MUST -DO for Moab first-timers. It looks a lot harder than it is. The steep climbs are smooth and easy and the drops are fun.
Ill make sure to put it on the list! My biggest concern with any of the trails is departure angle. Id like ot keep my rear bumper intact. I am getting sliders before the trip. Are there any other vehicle things i would want?

Anchor Mtn

Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Ill make sure to put it on the list! My biggest concern with any of the trails is departure angle. Id like ot keep my rear bumper intact. I am getting sliders before the trip. Are there any other vehicle things i would want?
If you have a rear receiver hitch you will be fine. The drops are all smooth and wont beat your rig up.
All the trails I listed are pretty easy. The Shaffer loop, gemini, hurrah and Chicken Corners can all be done in 2wd. Tusher, Bull, Elephant and Fins will require 4wd in some sections but are not technical trails.

We take a lot of people to Moab every year and show them around. With the exception of Elephant Hill... these are the staples of our guided trips.

Reactions: Tbell18

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

If you have a rear receiver hitch you will be fine. The drops are all smooth and wont beat your rig up.
All the trails I listed are pretty easy. The Shaffer loop, gemini, hurrah and Chicken Corners can all be done in 2wd. Tusher, Bull, Elephant and Fins will require 4wd in some sections but are not technical trails.

We take a lot of people to Moab every year and show them around. With the exception of Elephant Hill... these are the staples of our guided trips.
I will be sure to have all of those on the list to do! Thanks for all the help. This'll be the first time ill have the truck on rock. Im usually in fields or level b roads.