Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Victoria
Last Name
Hoven
Hi there!

I just bought a 2023 Badlands Bronco with the Sasquatch package and will be taking it to the bronco off-roadeo expedition in Moab to learn its capabilities for my birthday weekend in June. Though I am not afraid of it, I've never been the driver while off-roading before and I have never been on anything as serious as what Moab seems to be described as.

My biggest question is, where is a scenic place near the event starting point (MP 14, UT-128, Moab, UT 84532) that can I car camp with 1 other person?

We will only be there for the weekend (Fri-Sun) driving in from las vegas on friday (6+hrs), event saturday (8am-6pm), then leaving back to vegas on sunday, so 2 nights of camping.

Keep in mind:
- I am inexperienced in off-roading and am going to Moab to learn how to off-road my badlands bronco
- I will need to be to the event site promptly at 8am (We're willing to wake up early, but it needs to be reasonable as we will be tired from driving all day the day before and will need good energy for the day ahead)
- I will have limited daylight to get back to the campsite after the event
- I will be going early June with 1 other person

I do NOT care & I'm NOT worried about:
- Access to a toilet
- Picnic tables
- Fire restrictions
- Having to make reservations or pay for a site
- Being at the same spot both nights

I prefer/want:
- Somewhere beautiful and scenic (red rocks, rivers, something unique)
- Dispersed and remote away from other people
- Something reasonably close to this address: MP 14, UT-128, Moab, UT 84532

It would be great if anyone can provide coordinates if possible, details or pictures on what the site is like, how long it takes to get there, things I will need in order to get there, etc.

Thank you so much to everyone who responds in advance, your input is very appreciated!

Chaoswest

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Congrats on buying a Badlands! From your address, To get to "I prefer/want", i would drive up river and head towards Dewey Bridge or Dome Plateau. There are a few paid campgrounds along 128 that you can research. For free, pretty camping that's where i would head. At Dewey Bridge, there are spots along the river. If you cross the Colorado River and go towards Dome Plateau, you overlook the river. Those are free, dispersed campsites but they do get full.

Reactions: v_hove

v_hove

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Victoria
Last Name
Hoven
Congrats on buying a Badlands! From your address, To get to "I prefer/want", i would drive up river and head towards Dewey Bridge or Dome Plateau. There are a few paid campgrounds along 128 that you can research. For free, pretty camping that's where i would head. At Dewey Bridge, there are spots along the river. If you cross the Colorado River and go towards Dome Plateau, you overlook the river. Those are free, dispersed campsites but they do get full.
Thanks so much! I’ll check that out!

Chaoswest

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I also forgot to answer your other questions, you are within 20 minutes of your meet area if you camp near there...I would definitely go down Onion Creek Road which is super close to you. it is breath taking and you cross little streams that make you feel like you have made it as an Overlander!!!

v_hove

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Victoria
Last Name
Hoven
I also forgot to answer your other questions, you are within 20 minutes of your meet area if you camp near there...I would definitely go down Onion Creek Road which is super close to you. it is breath taking and you cross little streams that make you feel like you have made it as an Overlander!!!
Awesome! And all of these are manageable as a beginner off roader?

Chaoswest

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Absolutely....these are almost just dirt roads with some pot holes. I am/was a newby and I took a training course as well. You don't even have to air down to drive any of these. On Dome Plateau, the road does get a little rougher. So, if you don't feel comfortable, you can turn it around. But, any more than that, I wouldn't go alone or until you get some training.