Moab 2019

• HTML tutorial

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

I seriously can't wait to head West and hit up the Moab, Rubicon and a few other spots this year and the years to come. Let me ask you, what is your rig setup on the roof? I only ask because we will eventually get a roofrack, a rooftop tent, a sun awning others. The question is what to get that will provide quality, security and piece of mind on our Jeep?

Audi Bennett

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grand Junction, Colorado
Member #

I seriously can't wait to head West and hit up the Moab, Rubicon and a few other spots this year and the years to come. Let me ask you, what is your rig setup on the roof? I only ask because we will eventually get a roofrack, a rooftop tent, a sun awning others. The question is what to get that will provide quality, security and piece of mind on our Jeep?
My original intention for this vehicle was just to camp a night or two at most with light off-road use . I worked with Yakima and used a Yakima modified round bar set up on drip rails . The tent and awning are made by Yakima and they have a clamp system that works very nicely on their rail system . The basket is custom made to fit the small space. Front runner mounts for antenna & shovel. The complete set up is very light . Here’s the downside . I don’t believe it to be sturdy enough to take constant off road abuse . I had considered various roof racks but the fact that they have to be trucked to your location, weight & price discouraged me . Hind sight is 20/20. As my off road demands increase I will have to replace the rack. Front runner rack with modifications to tent & awing mounts in my future. There are a lot of wonderful companies that make rack set ups for jeeps . My advice is don’t do like me do your due diligence . Buy the best that you can afford and a system that offers a lot options to grow with your needs. Best of luck. Enjoy.

Reactions: Jeepjk16

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

Yes thank you very much. We have been considering the garvin setup or gobi for our jeep unlimited rubicon. Probably tepui or tuff stuff or something along those lines for a rooftop tent. And an awning namebrand that folds out 270 degrees like a batwing. Probably rotopax for fuel and road shower 4 for the water. Some maxtrax if we get stuck. Light setup for underneath around the rig. Light bar setup for out in front and lights to see around the sides and rear. I have a warn vr10s winch. Probably one day 35 inch tires with great suspension and lift and beefed up driveshafts. And metalcloak underarmor for a modular skid plate system.

Reactions: Audi Bennett

Audi Bennett

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grand Junction, Colorado
Member #

Great ole D1! Nice pictures!
I'm looking into a suspension system for my D!, any thoughts?
Land Rover Discovery lift and suspension modifications. Raptor 4x4, OME, Terrafirma,
I'm running Old Man Emu medium springs front and heavy in the rear. I did not not plan on real serious off roading. OME 1.5 to 2 inch lift. Much more than that you have to use castor corrected radius arms & upgraded driveshafts. Any tires over 30 inch may require camel cutting fenders for articulation & rubbing on tight turns. D1s are very capable out of the box. My set has good on & off road manners. it is a balancing act for sure. All those companies are very good. Happy Roving.