• HTML tutorial

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Hey Everyone, so I am planning an epic 2 week road trip here for the end of the month. The main purpose of the trip is to meet my girlfriend up in Idaho for her family reunion where we are going to do a couple days of white water rafting. That being said, I am driving. My plan is to use the trip as a way to conduct a shake down on the new 2016 Ram 2500 CTD build that I am working on. On top of that, its on my bucket list to explore Colorado a little bit. After the divorce I told myself that I wanted to check out Colorado this year. I keep seeing these epic photos of rigs overlanding thru the mountains and I want to see that first hand. That being said, Moab has always been on my list of places to check out. What I am curious about is if any of you folks out there could provide some recommendations for places to see, places to eat, etc... here is an idea of my route...IMG_8666.JPG

juanpablothethird

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hopefully I don't offend anyone here, but I've driven that route across 80 in southern Wyoming, and it is pretty boring... Instead, I'd be tempted to head up to the north to check out Jackson, then continue west to Boise. Southwest Colorado is beautiful (we've got a trip planned to Telluride in 2 weeks), and highly recommended if you're willing to add some distance to your route.

Along your current route, I'd recommend taking some time in Moab to hike in Arches NP, and heading up Big Cottonwood Canyon when you're near Salt Lake. In Colorado I'd recommend stopping at Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs (a bit of tourist trap, but it's a really cool one), and stopping at Red Rocks Amphitheater for a concert or a quick hike. If you wanted to add some stops that are off your current route, I'd highly recommend stopping at the Great Sand Dunes NP, or the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, or both...

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

So I am thinking that on the way out we are going to hit Colorado Springs first, then pikes peak, then maroon Bell-Snowmass wilderness. Anyone in those areas?

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Beyond that it's Utah, Moab... Thinking about arches national park, then Park City to see the area... Anyone want to get together it would be cool to meet some new people

juanpablothethird

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Have a great trip! Garden of the Gods near CO Springs is worth the stop, and Pikes will be too. The Maroon Bells are worth visiting, take a hike up to Crater Lake if you're looking to get past the crowds.

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

Have a great trip! Garden of the Gods near CO Springs is worth the stop, and Pikes will be too. The Maroon Bells are worth visiting, take a hike up to Crater Lake if you're looking to get past the crowds.
Crater Lake, I thought that was up in OR? Or is this a Crater Lake near Maroon Bells. How long of a hike is it?

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

T-minus 5 days till departure. While I realize I have not posted much on the "planning phase" of the trip... Sorry... I have been focused on the build and spending time with my boy when I have him. That being said, my co-pilot is flying in this afternoon from San Jose CA (my old college roommate from New Mexico Military Institute). He and I are planning to finalize plans so I should be able to update everyone tonight.