Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

So I have been doing a lot of reading on the Subaru forums and hoping some of you with more experience can help me out with this!

I plan on doing more lift eventually and trying to come up with some ideas. As of now my rig is only front wheel drive. So makes dealing with the rear pretty simple.

I plan on the front to make a lower strut lift brackets. Should get the front up an extra 1.5” or so along with proper camber adjustments.

Now for the rear. I was thinking of doing a subframe spacer setup along with the proper trailing arm spacers. There seems to be a lot of info on this for Subaru’s and other makes/models which I have been reading over.

My main question is... will I need longer rear struts then? I have a 40mm spacer lift already but just not sure if the struts will need to be swapped out with more travel, etc...

I can’t seem to find much info on that on the web. Most of the kits for sale have no mention of this so was curious.

Thanks to all who can lend some info!
I'm not familiar with how the struts mount on you car but on lifted trucks we have to install longer shocks when lifting the rear via lift blocks under the leaf spring pack or with new leaf springs. If we don't then you'll over extend the struts/shocks and they will bang loudly when a tire drops into a deep hole and you'll damage the shocks. That's with a solid rear end though. Our shocks mount to the frame and to the rear axle so anything we do to increase the distance between those two points will require a longer shock. I hope that makes sense. If so you can work out the geometry pretty easily while looking at your rig and the mod you have in mind.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I'm not familiar with how the struts mount on you car but on lifted trucks we have to install longer shocks when lifting the rear via lift blocks under the leaf spring pack or with new leaf springs. If we don't then you'll over extend the struts/shocks and they will bang loudly when a tire drops into a deep hole and you'll damage the shocks. That's with a solid rear end though. Our shocks mount to the frame and to the rear axle so anything we do to increase the distance between those two points will require a longer shock. I hope that makes sense. If so you can work out the geometry pretty easily while looking at your rig and the mod you have in mind.
Sweet, thanks for the info. I need to look into it a bit more. If anything else I am planning on new HD springs to actually get ground clearance. If I just do a subframe drop I’m not really gaining much in the rear.

Reactions: JCWages

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Blasted up a fun service road last night. My front driver shock is leaking so time to replace. While I’m at it I think HD springs are in for an upcoming mod. H&R makes a 30mm lift spring specifically for the Outlander! Now if only I could get some Bilsteins on this thing!
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Any lift that allows you to run larger tires is beneficial even if the lift itself doesn't increase ground clearance at the "frame". Some people mock body lifts because the frame or related parts don't benefit from more ground clearance but adding larger tires due to the increased body clearance helps all around. I know you know this but for the benefit of other readers I wanted to make that point. Nothing beats taller tires for creating ground clearance. :)

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Any lift that allows you to run larger tires is beneficial even if the lift itself doesn't increase ground clearance at the "frame". Some people mock body lifts because the frame or related parts don't benefit from more ground clearance but adding larger tires due to the increased body clearance helps all around. I know you know this but for the benefit of other readers I wanted to make that point. Nothing beats taller tires for creating ground clearance. :)
Ahhh good points man. I do plan on bumping up to a 30x9.5r15 from my 235/75’s so that’ll bump it around another 1/2” or so. I have been doing a lot of looking at the standard outlander struts. They can hold 6 passengers and come with a V6 on certain trims so thinking they may have a more heavy duty setup. Tricky part is comparing the two parts together!

Reactions: JCWages

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Changed up the front bumper a bit again. New vents in the front as I felt the original didn’t flow enough air and moved the fog lights down and further apart now. Works so much better! Just need to replace my left headlight now. Still damaged from hitting a deer last year! [emoji379]IMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpg

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Removed the roof rack for cleaning and you know, I’m actually really digging the look. Gonna leave it off over the weekend and see how I feel about it in a few days. Also going to monitor my MPG with it off and see if I gain a bit. We hardly ever use it and was mainly for looks sooo... we shall see! I shortened the snorkel down to the roof line now as to before it was the same height as the rack. Flows a bit better instead of having a big snorkel head sticking out. Thoughts??

IMG_0258.jpgIMG_0256.jpg

DanMetiv

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chicago IL
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Metivier
Member #

Blasted up a fun service road last night. My front driver shock is leaking so time to replace. While I’m at it I think HD springs are in for an upcoming mod. H&R makes a 30mm lift spring specifically for the Outlander! Now if only I could get some Bilsteins on this thing!
View attachment 108255
View attachment 108257
Love this pic with the lights and the clouds. Beautiful!

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Loving this build and the stealth rack looks great. DIY right? What did you use for the crossbars?
Thanks mate! Yes, it is all DIY. The cross bars are 2” aluminum square tubing that I welded threaded end caps on which can then be bolted onto the sides. There’s only two right now but I have plans to add two more to fill it in a bit more.

Reactions: Forte

Omen PPG

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Drum, NY, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Sides
I made this account just to follow your build. I have a 2018 Outlander Sport and I've done a roof rack with light bar and a hitch receiver on it so far. I'd love to do a custom front bumper like yours, do the life, and throw on different wheels and tires

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I made this account just to follow your build. I have a 2018 Outlander Sport and I've done a roof rack with light bar and a hitch receiver on it so far. I'd love to do a custom front bumper like yours, do the life, and throw on different wheels and tires
Thanks!! It’s been fun building it so far and still so much I want to do to the thing. Like all builds, it’s never ending haha [emoji38]

Contributor III

Hampshire, IL, USA
First Name
JEFF
Last Name
JONES
Ham/GMRS Callsign
MRJONES
It is so nice to see your build i started on my OS last year and its really a challenge.
Started with Lift specers, strut & spring replacement, Front & rear adjustable sway bar links, camber bolt adjuster, rear toe bar..

Attachments

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
It is so nice to see your build i started on my OS last year and its really a challenge.
Started with Lift specers, strut & spring replacement, Front & rear adjustable sway bar links, camber bolt adjuster, rear toe bar..
Oh hell yeah man! Us OS weirdos gotta stick together [emoji12] You’re off to some great mods.

I’m itching for more too lol I don’t want much more lift. Still planing on 30x9.5r15’s. Waiting on these 235’s to wear a bit more. Taking forevvver.

Can’t wait to see more [emoji482]

Reactions: MrJonesOverland