Minnesota North Shore

• HTML tutorial

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Haha. Amazing what you stumble on in the forums. That is my article I wrote for OutdoorX4. I am hoping to get back to the Northshore again in the future. I would like to get up the Gunflint more.

i havent been up on the gunflint in years. lake 18 is my favorite little hide away. im good friends with the owners of the stoney river cafe. good country up there!

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

We're trying to plan our annual Lutsen spring break trip, but honestly, with the lack of snow this year, we're thinking of heading to Colorado this time.

yeah we dont have alot of snow this year yet. just massively cold weather. at the time of writing this its -9 with -31F windchill. i only got out once this year so far and i wasnt able to give it the beans. only did around 20mph around town.

ill probably post an update if we get any more snow! good luck and have gun!

naterator22

Rank I

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9JHX
HAHA! im from silver bay! we have a bunch of nice little hide away places to setup for a stay! im pretty luck to live in this town. atv/snowmobile trails right from town! if any yall need some help finding places up here just give me a message!
NSS,

We had to cancel our trip out to the badlands/Black hills national forest cause of the forest fires. We were thinking of going up north your way any suggestions for last minute planning?

Respectfully,

Nate

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
NSS,

We had to cancel our trip out to the badlands/Black hills national forest cause of the forest fires. We were thinking of going up north your way any suggestions for last minute planning?

Respectfully,

Nate
We pretty much just winged it as far as camping accommodations. We ended up in a couple of state forests off the water a little bit. I know one was by the Baptism River. We heard a wold celebrating a kill not long after it got dark. Very cool! We used a Minnesota Gazetteer to find campgrounds.

Although paved, a ride up the Gunflint Trail is nice. There are some nice hiking trails off that with Honeymoon Bluff being one. Not too long either. Artist's Point in Grand Marais is really nice too. There are so many nice parks along the shoreline to see also. You can easily go from Duluth to Grand Marais in a day but plan on stopping a lot. Split Rock Lighthouse is a good stop. There is also an excellent transportation museum in Duluth.

Reactions: naterator22

naterator22

Rank I

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9JHX
We pretty much just winged it as far as camping accommodations. We ended up in a couple of state forests off the water a little bit. I know one was by the Baptism River. We heard a wold celebrating a kill not long after it got dark. Very cool! We used a Minnesota Gazetteer to find campgrounds.

Although paved, a ride up the Gunflint Trail is nice. There are some nice hiking trails off that with Honeymoon Bluff being one. Not too long either. Artist's Point in Grand Marais is really nice too. There are so many nice parks along the shoreline to see also. You can easily go from Duluth to Grand Marais in a day but plan on stopping a lot. Split Rock Lighthouse is a good stop. There is also an excellent transportation museum in Duluth.
Good info. Thanks for help. :) Also I enjoyed your article on the trip up there I used it to start my planning.

Reactions: Rattler

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Good info. Thanks for help. :) Also I enjoyed your article on the trip up there I used it to start my planning.
You are welcome! I have been back again since I wrote that. Such a beautiful area! I was just thinking while at work it would be a ncie trip to take the new Intech camper on but I think we will ahve enough to do thsi year but you never know.

BTW, the waterfront area in Duluth is loaded with Great lakes maritime history plus you can see many freighters going in and out on most days there.

We also stayed at Pattison State Park (WI) @20-30 miles south of Duluth that had some real nice waterfalls (and showers!).

North Shore Scout

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NSS,

Respectfully,

Nate

hey there buddy!! weekends have been pretty good for temps. my days off during the week have been cold and windy...

as for camping sites... Tettegouche State Park is on the baptism river. finland has some places along Eckbeck Campground which is also on the baptism river. you can go farther up towards isabella. lake 18 is one of my old stomping grounds with my dad. stoney river cafe (tom and liz) are good folks.

really all you need to do is look at a lake. follow a road. use google earth and you should be able to find anything you want!

there is also Trestle Inn Restaurant & Saloon! atving, snowmobiling and just driving out there! deep in the woods!

and if you like just email me at northshorescout@gmail.com of dates you are in the area. i work nights at cove point lodge in beaver bay minnesota. theres a laundry mat and gas station. J&H auto shop in silver bay and dans auto repair in finland if you need something fixed!!

happy travels peeps!!

also... just got new tires!!

Attachments

Reactions: Rattler