Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very nice. Most useful rack is the one you have. A few things to keep in mind as you continue.

) Flex is the enemy. Even more so when using bolts for fixturing. Consider a vertical element to help fight twist.

) Loctite is your friend.

Keep the pics coming!

Reactions: ManitobaTacoma

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
Very nice. Most useful rack is the one you have. A few things to keep in mind as you continue.

) Flex is the enemy. Even more so when using bolts for fixturing. Consider a vertical element to help fight twist.

) Loctite is your friend.

Keep the pics coming!
Thanks. Not sure if there is going to be much in the way of flex with how I plan on mounting it. But I will keeps your words in mind! I am currently letting the final coats of paint dry, then I'll be doing a final fitting, and figure out attachment points and retention points!

Will try to upload photos afterwards.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
I figured. Those things are like gold anytime I try to price one.
You're lucky if you can get them for a 1.00/lb, and especially if they are old manufacture, which tend to be better than the newer ones, unless you're buying high end which is $$$

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
You're lucky if you can get them for a 1.00/lb, and especially if they are old manufacture, which tend to be better than the newer ones, unless you're buying high end which is $$$
I've been glancing at them them on the used /garage sale pages. Most are closer to $10/lb. And appear as old in pictures. Both of my grandfathers had nice ones. But I was 1,500 miles away when they passed.

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
I've been glancing at them them on the used /garage sale pages. Most are closer to $10/lb. And appear as old in pictures. Both of my grandfathers had nice ones. But I was 1,500 miles away when they passed.
Yeah, they can be hard to get a hold of. I bought mine off an old junk collector for 90.00 (it's a 90 ish pound anvil) so I got a good deal, but it's one of those things you just got to get lucky.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Contributor II

Manitoba
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Laidlaw
UPDATE: Build is done, and rack has been installed. Might still need some tweaking, and did some Last minute after-thought add ons, but it is solid and doesn't look terrible. There is no roof clearance however, so I may have to lift it up on spacers.

Attachments