Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have a '99 4Runner Limited. It's been my daily driver for 15 years, and has been running like a champ for all that time. It no longer needs to hold DD duty so I can finally build it out. I want to make it more capable, but only minimally. I want to run skinny 32's and upgrade the suspension. I really don't need a lift to run the BFG KO2 255/75R17s, but I do need to improve load handling. I plan to install a rear tire mount and load it up with camping gear. The stock springs obviously don't hold camping gear well. So I want something that will support all my camping gear, without sagging, but with little-to-no lift if possible. Seems like every 3rd Gen T4R I see has at least a 3" lift. I really want to avoid that if possible. I would like progressive rate springs so it has a nice ride when unloaded. I had Icons on my Tacoma and they were nice. But I drive pretty slow on trails, so I'm thinking Kings or Fox might be better. Any feedback is appreciated.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Reactions: alaskan.lad

Birdman

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Foresthill, CA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

I have a 1999 SR5 Highlander Edition with an older (13 yrs old) lift by OME that consisted simply of progressive springs and shocks. I think the kit was actually made for the Prado. It is considerably stiffer than stock and improved handling. eliminated rear sag and still provides a reasonable ride when empty and way better ride and control when loaded. It's still performing well 13 years later although the powder coating on the springs need to be re-done and the shocks re-painted. I cannot compare to more modern kits but if I were to buy now I would probably go with OME or a hybrid system based on my experience. I have a steel bull bar and the kit provided 1.75-2" lift in front and 2.5-2.75 in the rear, enough to clear my 32s. No issues with CV boots that many years later. See my first post in the Introduction thread for some images.

Note that I was able to run 32s without too much loss of performance, because the basis for the Highlander Edition is the Sport model that came with 4.10:1 gearing and a 5 speed manual. YMMV.

Last edited:

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have a 1999 SR5 Highlander Edition with an older (13 yrs old) lift by OME that consisted simply of progressive springs and shocks. I think the kit was actually made for the Prado. It is considerably stiffer than stock and improved handling. eliminated rear sag and still provides a reasonable ride when empty and way better ride and control when loaded. It's still performing well 13 years later although the powder coating on the springs need to be re-done and the shocks re-painted. I cannot compare to more modern kits but if I were to buy now I would probably go with OME or a hybrid system based on my experience. I have a steel bull bar and the kit provided 1.75-2" lift in front and 2.5-2.75 in the rear, enough to clear my 32s. No issues with CV boots that many years later. See my first post in the Introduction thread for some images.

Note that I was able to run 32s without too much loss of performance, because the basis for the Highlander Edition is the Sport model that came with 4.10:1 gearing and a 5 speed manual. YMMV.
Thank you. Leaning towards OME 906 rear springs and Icon for everything else.

Birdman

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Foresthill, CA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Forgot to mention that I also have a 1" body lift installed in the pics linked to above.