Minimal lift for 3rd Gen 4Runner

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

theMightyGoose

Rank V

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
Member #

I have a '99 4Runner Limited. It's been my daily driver for 15 years, and has been running like a champ for all that time. It no longer needs to hold DD duty so I can finally build it out. I want to make it more capable, but only minimally. I want to run skinny 32's and upgrade the suspension. I really don't need a lift to run the BFG KO2 255/75R17s, but I do need to improve load handling. I plan to install a rear tire mount and load it up with camping gear. The stock springs obviously don't hold camping gear well. So I want something that will support all my camping gear, without sagging, but with little-to-no lift if possible. Seems like every 3rd Gen T4R I see has at least a 3" lift. I really want to avoid that if possible. I would like progressive rate springs so it has a nice ride when unloaded. I had Icons on my Tacoma and they were nice. But I drive pretty slow on trails, so I'm thinking Kings or Fox might be better. Any feedback is appreciated.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Reactions: O.B.A.K

Birdman

Rank II

Member II

Watsonville, CA
Member #

I have a 1999 SR5 Highlander Edition with an older (13 yrs old) lift by OME that consisted simply of progressive springs and shocks. I think the kit was actually made for the Prado. It is considerably stiffer than stock and improved handling. eliminated rear sag and still provides a reasonable ride when empty and way better ride and control when loaded. It's still performing well 13 years later although the powder coating on the springs need to be re-done and the shocks re-painted. I cannot compare to more modern kits but if I were to buy now I would probably go with OME or a hybrid system based on my experience. I have a steel bull bar and the kit provided 1.75-2" lift in front and 2.5-2.75 in the rear, enough to clear my 32s. No issues with CV boots that many years later. See my first post in the Introduction thread for some images.

Note that I was able to run 32s without too much loss of performance, because the basis for the Highlander Edition is the Sport model that came with 4.10:1 gearing and a 5 speed manual. YMMV.

Last edited:

theMightyGoose

Rank V

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
Member #

I have a 1999 SR5 Highlander Edition with an older (13 yrs old) lift by OME that consisted simply of progressive springs and shocks. I think the kit was actually made for the Prado. It is considerably stiffer than stock and improved handling. eliminated rear sag and still provides a reasonable ride when empty and way better ride and control when loaded. It's still performing well 13 years later although the powder coating on the springs need to be re-done and the shocks re-painted. I cannot compare to more modern kits but if I were to buy now I would probably go with OME or a hybrid system based on my experience. I have a steel bull bar and the kit provided 1.75-2" lift in front and 2.5-2.75 in the rear, enough to clear my 32s. No issues with CV boots that many years later. See my first post in the Introduction thread for some images.

Note that I was able to run 32s without too much loss of performance, because the basis for the Highlander Edition is the Sport model that came with 4.10:1 gearing and a 5 speed manual. YMMV.
Thank you. Leaning towards OME 906 rear springs and Icon for everything else.