Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

This is kind of neat. It's a pin I found.

I think a tab to go above the OB bronze medallion would be cool. Sort of like the Army's Ranger Tab that's curved and says VETERAN made in bronze like the medallion.

Attachments

Reactions: Viking Justice

MTNTRLS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Whitefish, Montana, United States
First Name
Kim
Last Name
Richards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DUE
So, are you thinking a decal that celebrates the armed forces or something that has a military feel to it? Problem I see with the first is that this is an international site, so there are a lot of different militaries to acknowledge. Maybe the logo in a sorta camo scheme?
You make a good point. and like your signature; Semper Paratus.

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

This is kind of neat. It's a pin I found.

I think a tab to go above the OB bronze medallion would be cool. Sort of like the Army's Ranger Tab that's curved and says VETERAN made in bronze like the medallion.
I really like this idea. Covers all branches and international military.

Reactions: TNjohn

Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
I get verification is important but if I ever see someone with a "special edition veteran OB" plaque and they aren't a veteran it would be pretty easy to call them out on this forum. If they request one and aren't then we can treat it as an OB "stolen valor".
19.5 year Active duty Air Force, Aircraft Mx, and my hands are so soft. We have weekly mandatory mani's and pedi's to keep up on our strict hygiene requirements.
But you guys can hate all you want when we provide Mobility requirements world wide, and air support when needed most, you know we are appreciated by all. Facts, we do have it easier than most, we do have nicer facilities, and we do spend a lot on our expensive equipment, I'm not complaining...
Just another day at the office...

Attachments

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I get verification is important but if I ever see someone with a "special edition veteran OB" plaque and they aren't a veteran it would be pretty easy to call them out on this forum. If they request one and aren't then we can treat it as an OB "stolen valor".
19.5 year Active duty Air Force, Aircraft Mx, and my hands are so soft. We have weekly mandatory mani's and pedi's to keep up on our strict hygiene requirements.
But you guys can hate all you want when we provide Mobility requirements world wide, and air support when needed most, you know we are appreciated by all. Facts, we do have it easier than most, we do have nicer facilities, and we do spend a lot on our expensive equipment, I'm not complaining...
Just another day at the office...
Agreed. The community will call out violations.

I served in the U.S. Air Force 1990 - 94. Desert Storm started while I was in basic but I spent most of my time at Patrick Air Force base in Florida. The 45th Space Command was a cool gig and I had it easy. Much props to those who had to deploy.

I remember my father giving me shit for joining the Air Force. He's a retired Royal Navy submariner. I almost signed up for the Submarine Service when I was 16 but came to America instead. Best decision ever.

Attached is the reason I have long hair.

Gary

P.S. Fun fact: I have never had Veterans Day off since becoming a veteran.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Agreed. The community will call out violations.

I served in the U.S. Air Force 1990 - 94. Desert Storm started while I was in basic but I spent most of my time at Patrick Air Force base in Florida. The 45th Space Command was a cool gig and I had it easy. Much props to those who had to deploy.

I remember my father giving me shit for joining the Air Force. He's a retired Royal Navy submariner. I almost signed up for the Submarine Service when I was 16 but came to America instead. Best decision ever.

Attached is the reason I have long hair.

Gary

P.S. Fun fact: I have never had Veterans Day off since becoming a veteran.
You know it’s your right to take the day off, even though it’s actually a PITA to do so. Almost easier to join a branch of service

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm all for this. If any of my direct reports were veterans they would have that day off without charging PTO.
By federal law they cannot charge your PTo, but they don’t have to give you the day off with pay. I’ll DM you the laws if you want for next year.

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

there are ways to tell....
if a guy says he's ex navy, he can show a video of him tying a bowline knot
if he's an ex-marine, he can show a video of him driving a nail into a 2x4 with his forehead
army...video of taking down and reassembling a .45 while blindfolded
air force...video of hands verifying they are soft and smooth with no dirt or callouses
pretty easy... :grin:
I was in the Navy 9 years and never could tie any of the knots we were supposed to be able to tie. I was a nuke, as long as the neutrons were flowing they didn't give two shits what I could do with the lines or ropes. For the Maneuvering Watch I was the XO's phone talker topside. If I was standing in a bad spot during line handling the XO would grab my arm and move me. We actually did have a line we were worried about. It had tightened and was actually smoking and the XO yelled, "everyone behind the sail... the line is about to go!" So we moved behind the sail and my phone cord was plugged in under the superstructure and long enough for my body to get behind the sail but not my head. The XO was laughing so hard he had trouble telling me to take the phones off. I was already taking them off. I never lived that one down. :laughing:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I was in the Navy 9 years and never could tie any of the knots we were supposed to be able to tie. I was a nuke, as long as the neutrons were flowing they didn't give two shits what I could do with the lines or ropes. For the Maneuvering Watch I was the XO's phone talker topside. If I was standing in a bad spot during line handling the XO would grab my arm and move me. We actually did have a line we were worried about. It had tightened and was actually smoking and the XO yelled, "everyone behind the sail... the line is about to go!" So we moved behind the sail and my phone cord was plugged in under the superstructure and long enough for my body to get behind the sail but not my head. The XO was laughing so hard he had trouble telling me to take the phones off. I was already taking them off. I never lived that one down. :laughing:
i was a radioman on the USS Shark SSN591 and was a line handler topside. we wore a harness clipped to the deck track and a big kapok life vest. on one maneuvering watch, the tug did something wrong and the line started stretching and smoking...there were 4 of us forward all clipped into the deck track and as we tried to scramble out of the way, the guy in front got his harness line fouled and was stuck, meaning rest of us behind him were stuck as well. i watched the line stretch and start smoking and just as i was expecting the line to part and wipe us out, the retractable deck cleat on the sub gave way and shot off away from us. that was a pucker moment. yeah, i didn't learn much knot tying as a submarine radioman, but as a sailor everyone pretty much assumes i'm a pro at knot tying. actually all my knot tying skills came with being a commercial diver and having to tie knots that can be taken loose underwater while wearing gloves.

Reactions: TNjohn

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

i was a radioman on the USS Shark SSN591 and was a line handler topside. we wore a harness clipped to the deck track and a big kapok life vest. on one maneuvering watch, the tug did something wrong and the line started stretching and smoking...there were 4 of us forward all clipped into the deck track and as we tried to scramble out of the way, the guy in front got his harness line fouled and was stuck, meaning rest of us behind him were stuck as well. i watched the line stretch and start smoking and just as i was expecting the line to part and wipe us out, the retractable deck cleat on the sub gave way and shot off away from us. that was a pucker moment. yeah, i didn't learn much knot tying as a submarine radioman, but as a sailor everyone pretty much assumes i'm a pro at knot tying. actually all my knot tying skills came with being a commercial diver and having to tie knots that can be taken loose underwater while wearing gloves.
It's crazy how the lines are stronger than the cleats on the submarines. During a personnel transfer on my boat they couldn't get a line loose from the tender at sea so the CO decided they would just try to snap in on purpose then cut it off when free. It of course ripped the cleat out. The guys told me about it but I had not reported yet.

Reactions: grubworm

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I like the concept patch or badge idea above, did anything ever come of this or did fizzl out? US Cavalry 1st, 9th and 11th.