Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My Tacoma seems to get about the same gas mileage loaded or empty. The tires and the lift really dinged it though. Im averaging around 12-13mpg these days. I've driven it with a topper and RTT, empty bed, and Habitat and none of them seem to affect it one way or another.
Is that 12 to 13 highway?!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Jesus H.!
Well, my old k5 Blazer sidnt do much better. 16 MPG in the highway was a happy day, and I LOVED that thing.

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Not a big truck, but from the Subaru camp for comparison’s sake:

Came from the dealer at 26 city/ 34 highway. With new wheels and tires, lift, RTT on the roof, loaded with 3-4 days’ worth of gear I end up getting 24-26 on average. When I’m driving without the tent mounted I’ll get 28-30 and about 400miles from a tank.

I built mine with as much attention to weight and efficiency as I could since I still drive it to work and don’t want to melt the transmission. Wheels and tires are pretty close to factory size and weight, just got smaller, lighter wheels and A/T tires. The biggest killer of efficiency on our overland trips, to be honest, is the fact that we spend a lot of time on Texas highways to get where we’re going and the pressure is on to drive 90-100 between San Antonio and El Paso. Any slower than 75 and you start to get dirty looks, even from those towing camper trailers. I believe the Crosstrek would happily sip gas cruising at 65 on the highway or bouncing along on dirt at 15-25 all loaded down but with the tent on the roof it really starts to struggle around 70mph. Will have to try taking a more roundabout route the next time we go exploring.

Obviously, the smaller, less capable vehicle has its trade offs but they’re ones that I’m pretty happy with.

WilhelmB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

Averaging 26mpg at the moment that's with a 60/40 city/hwy. still at the beginning of the build so everything is stock, 4cyl diesel with a six speed auto. only going down from there as I add weight and lift, bigger tyres, etc..
just for comparison sake.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I've owned Wranglers for 30 years. Several pickups too but the Wranglers, YJs and TJs are the ones I play with.

First YJ with a carburetor, 33x9.50s and 3.07s was the best on highway MPG. It would run better than 20mpg on a 3K mile trip from Yellowknife to Denver.
My TJR I did the lift, more lift, 33s, 35s and ever mod hit the mpg. Worst was 12mpg with 35s. Finally after moving to the Kootenays where big tires actually get in the way and limit opportunities I downsized to skinny 7.50R16 old school pizza cutters. Towing a 1500# Square Drop I now get 14mpg if I run over 60mph and use every 3 lane to pass traffic. If I hold my speed to 55mph and NEVER pass, I get 17mpg towing. My best is 22mpg driving conservatively without a trailer.

Quite apart from the range increase of 95 more miles between gas stops those skinny tires ride like a Lincoln compared to the 33s and 35s which rode like a Dodge 12valve Cummins pickup. And I have never felt a loss of capability with the skinny pizza cutters..... there is a certain ignorant segment in the off road community who like to laugh at it but hey, like I care eh. i'm liking the smooth ride and lack of need for 2 jerry cans. Plus my tire costs are half what they used to be.

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
This is my first high MPG overland vehicle and I like the extended miles I can get when in the back country. We are averaging 18.6 so far on this trip which is the first with the RTT. That includes many hours in the dirt and in 4L. So far these stock tires have done extremely well. The replacements will be the 256x85x16 so I can maintain the mileage. The challenge now will be to replace the sagging rear springs without lifting more than an inch or so to keep the good mileage.

Attachments

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

This is my first high MPG overland vehicle and I like the extended miles I can get when in the back country. We are averaging 18.6 so far on this trip which is the first with the RTT. That includes many hours in the dirt and in 4L. So far these stock tires have done extremely well. The replacements will be the 256x85x16 so I can maintain the mileage. The challenge now will be to replace the sagging rear springs without lifting more than an inch or so to keep the good mileage.
I dont think you'll be able maintain your mpg with that tire size. I moved from BFG KO2s in 275/70/16 (31.2 x 10.8) to Cooper S/T Maxx in 255/85/16. I really like the new Coopers but it killed my gas mileage by 2-3mpg. Supposedly the new tires are only 2lbs heavier but I think the more aggressive tread may be to blame. They are probably the least aggressive 33" pizza cutter available as most are going to be mud terrains. I dont remember what the stock tires are but Im willing to bet they are significantly lighter and better performing mileage wise.

I ended up going with the OME BP-51 suspension package and the heavy duty rear springs. Unfortunately it gave me 2-3 inches a lift which again, impacted my gas mileage. Performance wise though I couldnt be happier. Soaks up those washboard roads at high speeds.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Im getting about 18 - 20mpg on the highway loaded with gear just depends on where were going. Im in a fullsize with a 6.2 V8 rollin on 35s and a small lift. It helps that my RTT is not above my roofline

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
My Tacoma seems to get about the same gas mileage loaded or empty. The tires and the lift really dinged it though. Im averaging around 12-13mpg these days. I've driven it with a topper and RTT, empty bed, and Habitat and none of them seem to affect it one way or another.
I decided to put some premium fuel in my Tacoma last weekend. Never tried that before. I was pleasantly surprised at the boost in mileage. Went from about 14 to about 17 depending on the type driving and terrain. Easing around at 50 - 55 mph on rolling hills I got close to 19 mpg and that was loaded with an RTT. Hadn't gotten that good since I was down in Florida a while back on flat rural roads. I think it is worth it if on a long trip cruising rather than stop and go and low speed. That said, it may increase the torque some climbing steep hills/mountains. I didn't fill up with premium, just added some to about half full tank. Some people living at high elevations may have some input on whether it helps their.

Reactions: astroflashjones

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

I decided to put some premium fuel in my Tacoma last weekend. Never tried that before. I was pleasantly surprised at the boost in mileage. Went from about 14 to about 17 depending on the type driving and terrain. Easing around at 50 - 55 mph on rolling hills I got close to 19 mpg and that was loaded with an RTT. Hadn't gotten that good since I was down in Florida a while back on flat rural roads. I think it is worth it if on a long trip cruising rather than stop and go and low speed. That said, it may increase the torque some climbing steep hills/mountains. I didn't fill up with premium, just added some to about half full tank. Some people living at high elevations may have some input on whether it helps their.
Damn, I'll have to give it a try.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I definetly noticed mpg drops when I got a lift, larger tires, and a roofrack.

Why I plan to avoid heavy bumpers, winch, and RTT.

Brand new, I was averaging about 17 mpg, now its 14 mpg. Fully loaded and im looking at high 12s or low 13s.