Mike G Adventure Thread

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Did a last minute trip to the Barney Riley Trail a few weeks ago. Left work around 2pm and hit traffic going out of the Bay Area. The 4 hour drive to the trail head took 6 hours. :weary:. Arrived near the trail head at night so I decided to sleep in the truck on the side of the road for the night then hit the trail early morning. On Saturday, I started to drive to the trail head and it was blocked off and said the road was closed! :triumph: So I turned on Gaia to see if I can hit another trail near by. Then Gaia wasn't working so well and I was missing parts of the map on my phone and tablet. With no paper maps with me I then decided to hit the road and try to find a camp site. Drove down HWY 395 and came across Bootleg Campground in the Toiyabe National Forest. I decided just to camp here for the night.

Screenshot_20170805-142808[1].png

DSC_0135[1].JPG

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Found a great spot at Bootleg Campground. It was close to the bathrooms and had a flat area for my tent with a fire pit, BBQ grill and table. I then set up camp, had breakfast and took a little nap in the hammock. just before noon I baked some pizza and egg rolls in the Coleman Camp Oven.
DSC_0132[1].JPG DSC_0133[1].JPG DSC_0131[1].JPG DSC_0129[1].JPG

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

After lunch I went on a hike to check out the area and walk down to the West Walker River. On my way back to camp it started raining, then the wind picked up and then came the thunder and lighting. Got back to camp and everything was soaking wet. My poor 20 year old backpacking tent was not doing so well and was sagging since I haven't treated with any water proofing in a long time. Checked the tent and it was all wet inside. Good thing I kept my sleeping bag and pad in the truck. Ended up just sleeping in the truck for the night as the thunder storm continued threw the night.
DSC_0136[1].JPG