GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
My wife and I are looking at a possible move to the Boca Raton area and I was wondering what the overland scene might be like in the area. I'm very fortunate to have the north Georgia mountains close by here and I'm actually worried about there not being a lot of terrain down in Florida. But on the other hand, I'm hoping for the potential for beach camping. Can you guys give me a little color on the scene? It's also great having a Ford Ranger group local to me that get's out on occasion. I'm really hoping I can find people to get out with in that area if I end up moving there!

Here's my truck; a 2019 Ranger:
thumbnail_image0.jpg

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
South Florida has some interesting flatland trails & lots of water. I prefer Ocala national forest and withlacochee citrus unit for better off road terrain changes and good camping.

Reactions: GLOCKer

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Been around central Florida a few times. Can't say I'd be impressed with any Overlanding scene, given the highest point in the state is only 200' above sea level. We get up just above 300' on Cape Cod (Bourne - near the mainland), and more than 10 times that in our Berkshires. Couple hours away we have the Whites topping out over 6300.

But if beach camping is allowed there, or if you like fishing of any kind as I do, kayaking (me too) snorkeling, scuba diving, partying on a pontoon boat (way betterthan partying on a speedboat), dodging crocs and hurricanes and such, that must be the place.

My brother in law recently retired to central Florida and he seems happy as a clam

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
The “overland scene” in S. Florida is driving to N. Florida, GA, TN, NC etc…
Is there any place where one could drive down to the Keys, pull up on a beach or near the ocean, and enjoy some good camping with the sounds of waves? Or is it all homes and organized campgrounds?

SnookSniper

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Seminole, FL, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Herman
Member #

Judging by your username, you’re ready for most of what SoFla has to offer. For a fellow enthusiast, a few thoughts:

Ocala National Forest is great, as is the Apalachiacola Nat’l Forest up by Tallahassee. In south Florida, I’ve heard great things about JW Corbett, but I’ve never been personally. Reputedly very wet.

Most of the off-roading to be had is in FL is in Wildlife Management Areas. There’s a map on the FWC site that has them all listed. None of the off-roading is going to be anything like the GA mountains; it’s mostly sugar sand, mud, water, and mosquitoes. There’s also the Everglades, but that’s more swamp buggy and airboat territory.

Camping in the Keys is possible; there are a few campsites down that way. Hopefully someone more familiar with the area can chime in. There’s basically only one road that goes the length of the Keys, though, so it’s hard to get off the beaten track.

Most places in Florida won’t let you drive on the beach. There are still a few that will, like Daytona Beach.

Adventuring Slipper

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Taylors, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hayslip
Member #

Just as MiamiC70 has said, most of the property here is private. Very limited camping on the beaches. You can drive on a few beaches but you cannot camp unless it is designated. Unfortunately, as you will find out the majority of campsites in FL are booked out during this time of the year. So many people are moving to FL right now its filling up.
Camping in FL, especially S. FL is during Dec. and Jan. Unless you have a camper with AC or something with AC. I grew up here and hopefully moving to NC shortly to get out of the humidity, heat, hurricanes, and the S. FL machine moving north. With that said, there are many great attributes to Florida.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Are you moving to South Florida voluntary or because of a job? I ask because I live in NW Florida and I still want to move further North due to the heat and flat terrain with literally no place to camp on the beach. I would never purposely move any further South in Florida than I already am. A lot of people retire to Florida, I want to retire to the Mountains and get away from the heat and humidity. I recently spent 7 days in the mountains and a few days in Virginia going to Overland Expo East and it only increased my resolve to move to the mountains when I retire!

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Are you moving to South Florida voluntary or because of a job? I ask because I live in NW Florida and I still want to move further North due to the heat and flat terrain with literally no place to camp on the beach. I would never purposely move any further South in Florida than I already am. A lot of people retire to Florida, I want to retire to the Mountains and get away from the heat and humidity. I recently spent 7 days in the mountains and a few days in Virginia going to Overland Expo East and it only increased my resolve to move to the mountains when I retire!
My wife has been interviewing for a job down there. As much as I love getting out in my truck, the thought of upgrading my boat and heading towards the Keys is exciting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

tractor to trail

Rank III

Advocate I

N. Florida
First Name
Fred
Last Name
S
My wife has been interviewing for a job down there. As much as I love getting out in my truck, the thought of upgrading my boat and heading towards the Keys is exciting!
I'm from Naples area on the Gulf coast. Beautiful and some of the best fishing in the ten thousand islands. I went to college in north Miami. Was glad to get out when I graduated. I also now reside in NW Florida and it's much better than south Florida unless you like overcrowded tourist areas. I do miss the fishing but still have a lot of family there that I can visit and fish with to fix that itch.
We do book campsites at state parks a year in advance as soon as they open. Or just jump on a cancellation when available. Plenty of nice beaches to drive on north of st Augustine with great camping in the area also all the way up past Jacksonville.
Good luck with your move and location picks.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I'm from Naples area on the Gulf coast. Beautiful and some of the best fishing in the ten thousand islands. I went to college in north Miami. Was glad to get out when I graduated. I also now reside in NW Florida and it's much better than south Florida unless you like overcrowded tourist areas. I do miss the fishing but still have a lot of family there that I can visit and fish with to fix that itch.
We do book campsites at state parks a year in advance as soon as they open. Or just jump on a cancellation when available. Plenty of nice beaches to drive on north of st Augustine with great camping in the area also all the way up past Jacksonville.
Good luck with your move and location picks.
Thanks! We've found a handful of houses we like in the Boca Raton area. I'm thrilled there are Wawas in the area! I'm from Jersey and grew up with Wawa and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the move just for Wawa! HAHAHAHA

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well I think you should know what to expect by now LOL! Good luck, I know I couldn't live somewhere that only has two Seasons, Summer and Almost Summer.

• Love

Contributor III

Miami, Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States
First Name
Lino
Last Name
Cappelli
Member #

Evidently I am several months behind but big cypress federal preserve is a decent trail system, legal, safe, cleans and relatively close to you.
There’s remote camping and trails for hiking/mtb/kayak also.
We are going to go on the 12th to get the annual permit. Lmk if you would want to join.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Evidently I am several months behind but big cypress federal preserve is a decent trail system, legal, safe, cleans and relatively close to you.
There’s remote camping and trails for hiking/mtb/kayak also.
We are going to go on the 12th to get the annual permit. Lmk if you would want to join.
I'm a bit behind - still in the process of moving. I've done a couple trips back in forth; most recently to move my Mustang down there. Fingers crossed, I will be leaving GA the last time heading down 2/23!