Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Not sure how concerned I should be with SWR readings on my Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio, but on my 6 db antenna I get about 1.5 reading, on average across most channels, on my SWR. With the 3 db antenna, the reading is closer to 3. If it's a concern, performance and safety-wise, what should I do to improve the reading on the 3 db ghost antenna?

In both SWR test, the antenna is right smack in the middle of the roof. I wouldn't want to change the location based on what antenna I use. Another option? Shouldn't matter with GMRS?

I'm thinking my problem is that I used a SWR meter for CBs. Not sure if a SWR meter for Ham radios will also work for GMRS?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Not sure how concerned I should be with SWR readings on my Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio, but on my 6 db antenna I get about 1.5 reading, on average across most channels, on my SWR. With the 3 db antenna, the reading is closer to 3. If it's a concern, performance and safety-wise, what should I do to improve the reading on the 3 db ghost antenna?

In both SWR test, the antenna is right smack in the middle of the roof. I wouldn't want to change the location based on what antenna I use. Another option? Shouldn't matter with GMRS?

I'm thinking my problem is that I used a SWR meter for CBs. Not sure if a SWR meter for Ham radios will also work for GMRS?
I would be concerned with a 3:1+ SWR.
You would need an SWR meter or an Antenna Analyzer capable of UHF. A local ham club may have a club analyzer they would help you with or perhaps a club member would be willing to help.

When I got my analyzer I didn't think I would really need it to go up to UHF as it wasn't really an area I had interest in and it saved a few bucks... now that I have GMRS as well I am wishing I had an analyzer that included UHF.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I would be concerned with a 3:1+ SWR.
You would need an SWR meter or an Antenna Analyzer capable of UHF. A local ham club may have a club analyzer they would help you with or perhaps a club member would be willing to help.
Thanks Jon, always appreciate your feedback. I'll keep my eye out for any helpful member as well as YouTube for DIY stuff.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yeah a CB SWR meter isn't going to work properly. This is what I use on all my VHF/UHF stuff. It gives you a lot of data on top of the SWR readings.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah a CB SWR meter isn't going to work properly. This is what I use on all my VHF/UHF stuff. It gives you a lot of data on top of the SWR readings.

Thank you. I just put this model on my Amazon Wish List this afternoon. I'll come back with questions I'm sure.

Reactions: Downs

EBG18T

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vermont, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
G
have you reached out to midland? I know they claim the ghost is properly tuned..

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
have you reached out to midland? I know they claim the ghost is properly tuned..
I actually bought the appropriate SWR meter. Just pending delivery this week. Then if it's still off then I'll figure out what to do. Hoping this new meter will give me accurate readings. My bad in the first place for using CB rated meter ibstead of one for GMRS and Ham frequencies.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I actually bought the appropriate SWR meter. Just pending delivery this week. Then if it's still off then I'll figure out what to do. Hoping this new meter will give me accurate readings. My bad in the first place for using CB rated meter ibstead of one for GMRS and Ham frequencies.
If it's still high I would suspect a bad antenna. Even the ghost antenna shouldn't give SWR readings that high on GMRS.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
is there a way to run both or does that just won't work? I randomly thought and came across this thread.

nudavinci64

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Shopshear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KM6LUN GMRS: WRJN599
I will first ask why you want to run both?
mainly curious they both seem to have different uses short range vs long range etc. I am running a 3db one now but have a 6db but have not had a reason to use it yet. Was thinking if I have both then you would have both uses on hand but may not really made sense.