Mid May Georgia Traverse/Trey Mountain

• HTML tutorial

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I did Trey Mountain last February with Eric Neal and add a great time. I am hoping to get back there in May. Does anyone know the status of Trey Mountain Road? Can I get an update when it reopens? Is there a forest service website where I can do this?

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

Oh wow, didn't know that..see haha!! I said I could be wrong.

**update** here's some info.

The following roads are now temporarily closed to motorized public access:

White County
• FSR 44 (Chattahoochee River Road)
• FSR 79 (Chimney Mountain Road)
• FSR 79 (Tray Mountain Road)

Rabun County
• FSR 164 (Dick's Creed Road, above Kennesaw Lane)
• FSR 163 (Popcorn Creek Road)

Stephens County
• FSR 92 (Red Root Road)
• FSR 87 (Guard Camp Road)

Check the status of your favorite trail by calling (770) 297-3000 or visit the recreation webpage. For additional information about the many opportunities to legally ride vehicles on the national forests in Georgia, please visit www.fs.usda.gov/conf.

Above is on the bottom of this page:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD573027

Last edited:

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Im available May 12th to May 15th, may join if yall are looking for people to ride with. I did the eastern half over new years, that was fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4RunnerDave

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lilburn, Ga
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Nanney
Member #

I did Trey Mountain last February with Eric Neal and add a great time. I am hoping to get back there in May. Does anyone know the status of Trey Mountain Road? Can I get an update when it reopens? Is there a forest service website where I can do this?
Just did Tray mountain yesterday and we went up from the south to the summit at the AT crossing. When we entered at the south there was not a "Road Closed" sign like there was in March. Kinda half way expected it in early March. We made it over a lot of technical driving and only used my e-locker once on one part of the hill climb but other than that it was fine.

When we made it to the top there was a "Road Closed" sign and a US Forestry Service posting saying there was a fine for anyone going beyond the sign.. (Does that include coming from the other direction?) So if you are approaching the 3-way intersection at the summit just know there is a sign there...

We continued down the sw side of the mountain that dumps you out onto Unicoi highway north of Helen.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Where was the sign posted. At that three way intersection going down into Helen was open last time there but the road to the right had a gate closed and "closed" sign. Nothing else posted.