Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I haven't, but ran across this that you might find interesting: Watch Mid-Atlantic BDR Documentary Film

I have to wonder, though, how the riders who develop these back country discovery routes--meant specifically for adventure and dual sport bikes--feel about 4 wheel 'overland' vehicles using the routes they've compiled and developed.

From a page on advrider.com:
"First, some definition: MABDR stands for Mid Atlantic Back Country Discovery Route. The BDR group is a non profit organization “whose mission is to establish and preserve off-highway routes for dual-sport and adventure motorcycles. Through education, advocacy, and promotion of responsible motorcycle travel, BDR seeks to preserve backcountry motorcycling opportunities for generations to come.”

In general, I've avoided using the routes they come up, not wanting to be part of the increased usage and potential deterioration that comes from sudden popularity and small convoys of blinged up 'overland' vehicles. I've seen it too many times. By nature, most folks with capable 4x4 rigs want to get out and test them and their new recovery gear etc, often to the max.

When there are more than two or three hitting a trail in 4wd rigs at the same time, as is becoming more and more popular because of sites like this, the damage increases. Not enough folks are versed or trained in Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace principles to know better what not to do.

There's a cool Appalachian Byway, though, 2400 miles long, that is for vehicles and needs 4x4 for most of it, that sort of parallels the Appalachian Trail. I have some of the maps and files for that and plan on doing stretches to check it out, then perhaps thru-drive it next year.

It was developed by @hmboverland:

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I've been looking over and researching this route for the last couple hours. Before I posted this thread I wanted to learn as much as I could so I went into their FAQ section they Ride BDR created. The question was..."Can I drive a 4x4 on this route?" Their response was :

Yes the entire route is passable with a SUV or 4×4. There are no difficult rock climbs or clearance issues for vehicles. Except if there has been a strong thunderstorm that may wash part of the road away. Caution should always be used when driving or riding off-road.

There is an article from Automobile Magazine they published about taken a 2018 Jeep Wrangler on this route.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/driving-mid-atlantic-backcountry-discovery-route-in-a-2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon/

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've been looking over and researching this route for the last couple hours. Before I posted this thread I wanted to learn as much as I could so I went into their FAQ section they Ride BDR created. The question was..."Can I drive a 4x4 on this route?" Their response was :

Yes the entire route is passable with a SUV or 4×4. There are no difficult rock climbs or clearance issues for vehicles. Except if there has been a strong thunderstorm that may wash part of the road away. Caution should always be used when driving or riding off-road.

There is an article from Automobile Magazine they published about taken a 2018 Jeep Wrangler on this route.
Driving the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route in a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Automobile

Cool cool, great research! That's good news that they are welcoming.

My point still stands, however, about potential damage from increased usage in convoy fashion. I'm hearing of more and more places who actively discourage convoys of more than three or four vehicles.

I'll promote low-impact land use and responsible recreation any time I can.

Last edited:

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Cool cool, great research! That's good news that they are welcoming.

My point still stands, however, about potential damage from increased usage in convoy fashion. I'm hearing of more and more places who actively discourage convoys of more than three or four vehicles.

I'll promote low-impact land use and responsible recreation any time I can.

Oh absolutely! I agree 100% on Tread Lightly and damage control. I'm interested in doing this route with my wife so it would be a solo trip for us. Thanks for the other info you provided as well on the other route. I will look into that also!

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Next week, I'll be serving a Richmond, VA client and I thought I'd take the scenic route northbound to Pennsylvania on the Backcountry Mid-Atlantic Route starting at MA Section 3: Covington. Does anyone have experience with this route? Any pitfalls of which I should be aware? What's it like in January?

I just watched the BDR Documentary - thanks for posting this. The weather looks mild for the next few days in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We have ice here in Pennsylvania. Temps are about normal.

I am actually planning on running section 7 to 8 in the next couple months.

Anxious to hear your experience.

I am anxious to try this, but a bit disappointed how much is just on regular rural pavement.

My trip planning.

Reactions: Dusther210 and Road

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Next week, I'll be serving a Richmond, VA client and I thought I'd take the scenic route northbound to Pennsylvania on the Backcountry Mid-Atlantic Route starting at MA Section 3: Covington. Does anyone have experience with this route? Any pitfalls of which I should be aware? What's it like in January?

I just watched the BDR Documentary - thanks for posting this. The weather looks mild for the next few days in Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Let us know how your trip goes as we are currently mapping out different routes combining the Backcountry Route and the Appalachian Trail routes.

Reactions: Road and Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Road I have been cautiously looking at this route.

I passed over looking into it cause at first glance I thought the same thing you did...this is for bikes.

But, and I can only attest for the local one to me, this is just a route taking in state roads and forest service roads.

They basically just picked a path and made some interesting talking points.

They state it is 4x4 vehicle accessible in their webpage...because they use the driveable trails that our Forest Service patrols. They have a 10 rig limit (which does seem high) then you need a permit.

When @Wawa Skittletits mentioned this trail as a connection between Rothrock and Bald Eagle I thought some of my planning would be easier and i assumed this was some kinda all offroad route.

Unfortunately, it is not. Our state publishes fall foliage routes that are similar.

Now all that said. It also seems like they advocate for the uses of the roads and possibly trail maintenance etc.

That is great news. Cause as was stated alot of people forget that there are rules (many unspoken/unwritten) for how to treat these privileges. Thanks for reminding everyone to spend some time learning how to preserve these privileges.

It is so awesome how easy the internet has made it to learn about things...hope people remember how easy it is for that to go the wrong way aswell.

I hope this post comes across the right way...sometimes it is hard to convey the context of thought.

Reactions: Dusther210 and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road I have been cautiously looking at this route.

I passed over looking into it cause at first glance I thought the same thing you did...this is for bikes.

But, and I can only attest for the local one to me, this is just a route taking in state roads and forest service roads.

They basically just picked a path and made some interesting talking points.

They state it is 4x4 vehicle accessible in their webpage...because they use the driveable trails that our Forest Service patrols. They have a 10 rig limit (which does seem high) then you need a permit.

When @Wawa Skittletits mentioned this trail as a connection between Rothrock and Bald Eagle I thought some of my planning would be easier and i assumed this was some kinda all offroad route.

Unfortunately, it is not. Our state publishes fall foliage routes that are similar.

Now all that said. It also seems like they advocate for the uses of the roads and possibly trail maintenance etc.

That is great news. Cause as was stated alot of people forget that there are rules (many unspoken/unwritten) for how to treat these privileges. Thanks for reminding everyone to spend some time learning how to preserve these privileges.

It is so awesome how easy the internet has made it to learn about things...hope people remember how easy it is for that to go the wrong way aswell.

I hope this post comes across the right way...sometimes it is hard to convey the context of thought.

Good info and scouting, @DevilDodge !
I'll run a trail with you any day.

Reactions: Dusther210

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
The MABDR is super easy mostly fire service roads, gravel and pavement. I have done many BDRs on bike and truck. The guys at BDR are awesome have emailed them back an forth about different trails they have always been great and super helpful. They love anyone enjoying their trails that are responsible adv riders or overlanders

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

The MABDR is super easy mostly fire service roads, gravel and pavement. I have done many BDRs on bike and truck. The guys at BDR are awesome have emailed them back an forth about different trails they have always been great and super helpful. They love anyone enjoying their trails that are responsible adv riders or overlanders
That’s awesome! Good to know!!

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If you are into history especially the Civil War you will love the MABDR its has ton on tons of battlefields and points of interest on to near the route. One of the camping spots is on the battle field of the bloodiest day in America history. Antietam National Battlefield

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

If you are into history especially the Civil War you will love the MABDR its has ton on tons of battlefields and points of interest on to near the route. One of the camping spots is on the battle field of the bloodiest day in America history. Antietam National Battlefield
That's great info! Yea, my wife and I love our country's history and sight seeing! Definitely will put this on our map and route!

MaximusPrime

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Allow me to bring this thread back from the dead! How much dispersed camping is there along the route? The BDR website only lists campgrounds and we would rather not stay in campgrounds every night.

Reactions: Dusther210