First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Hello,

I did my first introduction two weeks ago here. I figured I would start my own topic where I can eventually share my progress. I know "it doesn't matter what you drive" and I appreciate that sentiment. My ultimate goal is to overland and photograph in places where my VW's cannot go. I'm limited to road driving until I decide to acquire a trail-worthy rig. Until then, I have a lot to learn about camping and traveling light. And what better way to be forced into light travel than in a compact hatchback? :tonguewink:

I have a small YouTube channel and have announced my plan to apprentice into overlanding in this short video. We started with a 1600-mile road trip (hotels) to Maine. The goal on that trip was to just get out on the roads and isolated from our distractions. Eventually, after buying some equipment, we will go on our first camping trip. From there, we'll add more travel to the camping. I hope to buy items that will be useful and compatible with our eventual off-road overland rig. I have my eyes on a Wrangler Unlimited, a Gladiator, a 4Runner, or a Tacoma... all very different rigs, but with varying pros/cons. I'm trying to find my balance between off-road capability, cargo carrying/towing, and comfort.

For now, I'm going to make the most of my current vehicle, a 2017 VW GTI. I know there are smaller cars to take camping, but I tend to think a GTI is pretty small in the grand view of camping/overlanding, especially if our trips last longer than a weekend. That is what compelled me to coin the term "microlander." It's mostly a point of strange humor, not as a way to segregate myself. I already installed a good 12V distribution system (with room for expansion) that should make adding camping conveniences a cinch. I like the apparent convenience of rooftop tents; I don't prefer to sleep on the ground. I don't trust my roof rack enough to sleep on my small roof. So, I will very likely put the RTT on my existing utility trailer or perhaps even my small cargo trailer.

My progress will be slow, but I'll be sure to update this topic as we accomplish things. Oh, here's a photo of my "rig" from our trip to Maine:

Take Care,

Scott

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello,

I did my first introduction two weeks ago here. I figured I would start my own topic where I can eventually share my progress. I know "it doesn't matter what you drive" and I appreciate that sentiment. My ultimate goal is to overland and photograph in places where my VW's cannot go. I'm limited to road driving until I decide to acquire a trail-worthy rig. Until then, I have a lot to learn about camping and traveling light. And what better way to be forced into light travel than in a compact hatchback? :tonguewink:

I have a small YouTube channel and have announced my plan to apprentice into overlanding in this short video. We started with a 1600-mile road trip (hotels) to Maine. The goal on that trip was to just get out on the roads and isolated from our distractions. Eventually, after buying some equipment, we will go on our first camping trip. From there, we'll add more travel to the camping. I hope to buy items that will be useful and compatible with our eventual off-road overland rig. I have my eyes on a Wrangler Unlimited, a Gladiator, a 4Runner, or a Tacoma... all very different rigs, but with varying pros/cons. I'm trying to find my balance between off-road capability, cargo carrying/towing, and comfort.

For now, I'm going to make the most of my current vehicle, a 2017 VW GTI. I know there are smaller cars to take camping, but I tend to think a GTI is pretty small in the grand view of camping/overlanding, especially if our trips last longer than a weekend. That is what compelled me to coin the term "microlander." It's mostly a point of strange humor, not as a way to segregate myself. I already installed a good 12V distribution system (with room for expansion) that should make adding camping conveniences a cinch. I like the apparent convenience of rooftop tents; I don't prefer to sleep on the ground. I don't trust my roof rack enough to sleep on my small roof. So, I will very likely put the RTT on my existing utility trailer or perhaps even my small cargo trailer.

My progress will be slow, but I'll be sure to update this topic as we accomplish things. Oh, here's a photo of my "rig" from our trip to Maine:

Take Care,

Scott
Great pic. Look forward to seeing you grow . Good luck and safe travels. Let the adventures begin.

Reactions: SFarrell

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hello,

Take Care,

Scott
Welcome to OLB and the East Region!
It seems as though you are well on your way! Lots of research and asking questions will help you enjoy "Microlanding" even more and will help in your decision making when it comes to your next rig.

If you have any questions or want help planning a trip or meetup of your own feel free to message me.

When looking for events near you check the Calendar at:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/calendar
Looking for a meetup? Check this link:
Overland Bound Meetups
Looking for the U.S. East Forum? Check this link:
U.S. East (VA WV MD DE NJ PA NY CT RI MA NH VT ME)

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Just drop the rear seat and you have plenty of space... Did a lot of camping trips with my gti mk2 . Have fun!

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Hey Scott,

You said you don’t want to be on the ground, but I picked a REI 2.5” sleeping pad ($100 or so) from the store in VA Beach. It’s made a great difference along with some Reflectix (adds insulation + inexpensive) from Home Depot. You could check Facebook Marketplace for some deals on a regular tent to use for the time being.

Also, OB has a link somewhere of stuff they pack for Overlanding trips and Michael also did a YouTube video.

Good luck on your travels!
Jeremy

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I don't know if you'll be off the highway much, but some smaller rims so you can run tires with a little more sidewall so that they are more conforming when you air down can make a huge difference for any vehicle, FWD, 4WD or otherwise and a decent snow tire will perform similarly to a A/T in most conditions.

You might also look into some of the Subaru vehicles for a future replacement since they are of similar size but you have AWD for a little added capability.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get into with your current microlander! Post up some more pics of it and your trailer!

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Hello,

Just drop the rear seat and you have plenty of space... Did a lot of camping trips with my gti mk2 . Have fun!
I've considered that, but a step further: a rear seat delete. I wouldn't have considered it when my daughter was growing. But now that she's pretty independent and driving herself a lot, I may give it a shot. I could even make an additional storage area beneath the front panel where the seat cushion had been. Here's an example of a rear seat delete on a car like mine...

I'd take a lot of measurements to ensure it's worth it. Otherwise, rear seat down is plenty, especially if I'm pulling my trailer.

You said you don’t want to be on the ground, but I picked a REI 2.5” sleeping pad ($100 or so) from the store in VA Beach. It’s made a great difference along with some Reflectix (adds insulation + inexpensive) from Home Depot. You could check Facebook Marketplace for some deals on a regular tent to use for the time being. Also, OB has a link somewhere of stuff they pack for Overlanding trips and Michael also did a YouTube video.
Thanks. I'm still weighing my options. I'm 51 and have stiff ankles and hips. So it's hard to be certain how I'd feel about committing to a RTT without first climbing into one beforehand. And I'd be a goner if my wife ever slipped on a ladder. I just saw Michael's video about the Gazelle tents. Their cost of entry is far less than a RTT and less painful to lose if things don't work out. The four-person size is large enough for our inflatable mattress, which should make the wife happy. :wink:

I don't know if you'll be off the highway much, but some smaller rims so you can run tires with a little more sidewall so that they are more conforming when you air down can make a huge difference for any vehicle, FWD, 4WD or otherwise and a decent snow tire will perform similarly to a A/T in most conditions.
I doubt I'll go off-highway more than on a maintained fire road. My car has a performance package with large brakes. Here's the clearance with factory 18-inch wheels:

SOME 17-inch wheels will fit with about 1-2mm to spare. I'm going to just stick with the 18s, which I could run around 26 psi at low speeds. On top of that, my ground clearance is only five inches... so it's very easy to get into trouble there. :flushed:

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get into with your current microlander! Post up some more pics of it and your trailer!
My car has a reputation in local VW circles of being an "everything car" that seemingly does it all... no need for a truck until I'm ready to hit the trail. But here are a few photos of the trailer:

A run to the dump...

Back-filling the yard after a tree removal...

I support two bicycling events per year by transporting 100 gallons of water and 300 lbs of ice...

I built a box for it and the entire trailer is refinished in Herculiner...

My 4x6 cargo trailer...

I'm working on a mild cargo conversion now, with the original plan to sleep in it during solo trips since I didn't think the wife would camp. Now that she's interested, I'm exploring more options. I also have a fun album of what I call "stunt parking" on this page.

Take Care,

Scott

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Welcome!! Just saw your post, and hope to see you at a rally point? I am in Roanoke, so if you ever head this way, maybe meet up. If I am heading out on a camping trip in the area, will let you know. Blue Ridge Parkway is super close .

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Thanks, Steve!

Welcome!! Just saw your post, and hope to see you at a rally point?
I've considered a drive out to the Roanoke Rally Point. But it's four hours each way. I like Mission BBQ and was recently impressed by a taste of their pastrami. But I'll have to plan a weekend there, something more to justify the drive. Too bad I cannot hit the trail with you. Someday, though. I'm certainly up to meeting you if you come this way. I'm near I-64 exit 250 and don't mind driving as far as Richmond for a meet. Just let me know.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks, Steve!

I've considered a drive out to the Roanoke Rally Point. But it's four hours each way. I like Mission BBQ and was recently impressed by a taste of their pastrami. But I'll have to plan a weekend there, something more to justify the drive. Too bad I cannot hit the trail with you. Someday, though. I'm certainly up to meeting you if you come this way. I'm near I-64 exit 250 and don't mind driving as far as Richmond for a meet. Just let me know.
Let us know if you come out this way! There's lots of easily accessible camping in this area. There's Douthat State Park and Lake Moomaw near me and lots of other national forest camp sites. Plan it around our meetup or just drop us a line. I'd be happy to show you around and give suggestions on places to check out.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
I almost forgot to publish the companion article for the video I shared in the top post. The article has a few extra details that I didn't share in the video. See the write-up here.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Thanks for the welcome, @Pindal. Although I ultimately want to use a RTT, I think I'm going to follow @Michael 's lead and start with a Gazelle T4, which could eventually serve as a dressing room or sheltered eating area if we still want to move to a RTT later. The T4 should fit inside my rooftop box during transport. If not, I'll strap it to the crossbars. I don't want to buy any of this stuff with credit or dig into savings. So I'll "buy as I earn." Getting a Gazelle will get me out there faster. I want to climb into someone else's RTT to see how my stiff hips react before committing to a RTT purchase. Getting in will be easy enough; getting out is what I want to see. HAHA!

Also, @TerryD, I forgot to thank you for your welcoming comment. I may make a drive out there for a Roanoke Rally Point (I haven't seen anything closer). Is the group mostly meeting to eat at Mission? Or do they normally camp afterwards? I'm not ready to camp, but I'm always down to eat. Four hours each way is quite a haul for dinner. So I may find a reason to stay overnight.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks for the welcome, @Pindal. Although I ultimately want to use a RTT, I think I'm going to follow @Michael 's lead and start with a Gazelle T4, which could eventually serve as a dressing room or sheltered eating area if we still want to move to a RTT later. The T4 should fit inside my rooftop box during transport. If not, I'll strap it to the crossbars. I don't want to buy any of this stuff with credit or dig into savings. So I'll "buy as I earn." Getting a Gazelle will get me out there faster. I want to climb into someone else's RTT to see how my stiff hips react before committing to a RTT purchase. Getting in will be easy enough; getting out is what I want to see. HAHA!

Also, @TerryD, I forgot to thank you for your welcoming comment. I may make a drive out there for a Roanoke Rally Point (I haven't seen anything closer). Is the group mostly meeting to eat at Mission? Or do they normally camp afterwards? I'm not ready to camp, but I'm always down to eat. Four hours each way is quite a haul for dinner. So I may find a reason to stay overnight.
We usually just meet for dinner. Most of us have work on Mondays but camping from Saturday- Sunday is easily doable. There's lots of good camping in the area from dispersed to established campgrounds with showers and hook-ups.

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Still no camping yet... It's too stinking hot! :flushed: But I'm still making progress on my "conversion." I figured I'd share some photos of the "rear seat delete" I mentioned above. Now that my daughter is grown and driving on her own. I really don't need the rear seat these days. Plus, I want to carry more cargo and have storage cubbies for items such as tools, emergency supplies, etc. So I set off to achieve a goal...

Others in the VW community have done "deletes" that were simply carpeted panels to go in place of the rear seat. I was after something more practical with doors that access a storage area and something I knew would support a lot of weight, if required. Here is my frame, made from ½-inch plywood and a 2x2...

My construction method is a little crude, but I knew I'd be covering it with carpet. It hooks into the seat hinge, is wedged into place by a 2x2 that spans the width of the interior, and should never break free in an accident or during aggressive cornering...

Here is how I crafted and oriented the doors, made from ½-inch MDF...

Since my project has doors that would expose the underside of the new floor, I decided to finish the area with carpet...

The carpet and extra padding also protects my wiring and eliminates the possibility of any of my cargo rattling. I use "elbow latches" to latch the doors. Here are a few more photos of the project...

I have since added a fire extinguisher to the mix. I'm probably going to top this with a Denier canvas similar to Canvasback's cargo liner. That will resolve the color difference between the two carpeted panels. The rear seat can be restored in about 15 minutes, which is why the seat belts and LATCH hardware is still present.

I also relocated my inverter and added a remote outlet to the center console...

I usually use the inverter for transporting food to gatherings (great for crockpots) or the occasional computer. I could add other stuff the mix, especially if I find a way to add a "house battery" to this mess. :smirk:

What do you think?

Scott