Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Don’t stress it regarding the environment. To be honest I appreciate this type of involvement. I was hoping I would get more people involved. I teach kids in grade school about this alternative. I feel that if we teach all kids regarding this type of sustainable environment, so that we can change the garbage we eat.
That is good to hear. Sounds like you have a great mission in life!

An aquaponics system requires more energy up front to set up. However, the amount of money/time/energy saved on the backside is very impressive. These systems keep your plants perfectly watered at all times, are water wise, and efficient with fertilization. No more weeding, or tilling. No more run off into the local waterways. Plant spacing is not as important. You can pop a new plant into place as soon as the old one is harvested without having to wait/prep the soil again. They hold thermal energy making it easier to grow year round in a greenhouse. So they are VERY time efficient on several levels as well.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
On another side note... it takes 3 to 5 years to get the soil right in a garden. These take about 1 year to mature.

I have only messed with flood/drain gravel media since they are so simple. I just keep the feed rate super low and don't even bother with swirl filters... for now anyways.

My beds are around 4ft off of the ground though. So I can do vertical gardening both to the ground or up with vining crops.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
That is something I am looking into getting. We can drive out on the beaches on the Outer Banks... but will need some shade. Running a few ideas through my head. Let us know how you like it! Thanks...

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

E03BEE8D-5AD1-4C87-AC19-E0767DE0434F.jpeg 5A25B67C-8242-4087-9993-636C52F6D7FB.jpeg Rhino batwing came through. It battled high winds on Monday. Was surprised it lasted the test. Reminder bring empty sand bags to fill up at the beach..

Reactions: great08