Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Our systems use 100 percent fish by products, making us 100 percent organic. No infused nutrients... currently Mgm is working in nyc in the east New York area in Brooklyn and far rock away queens area.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Oh wow. Sounds like you have some serious experience with Aquaponics systems then. I had to ask due to the thread title.

I just built my second system in the Spring of last year. It is true what they say to start small. My second system has been maintenance free (except for feed and water additions) due to what I learned from the design mistakes I made on my first system. Mine is just a little 150gal fish/sump tank with two 50gal grow beds. About a square yard of grow space total.

How did your tires do in the deep sand? My truck comes with the same tires... and I can drive on the beaches around here... and Striper season is coming up.

Thanks again!

Marty

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Regarding the tires and rim set up. We just air down psi to 12lbs and it did a wonderful job. What type of produce are you growing?
At the moment I just have two tomato vines, a ton of Swiss Shard, Kale, 4 Lemon tree clones (put in 4 and have 4 successful clones), and 4 massive basil plants.

I am about to throw down seed for more lettuce.

Every tree or bush I have tried to clone has had an almost 100% success rate. I have cloned fig trees, lemon, mulberry, and some goji berry bushes. In a small system the size of mine... you can start an entire food forest every year. For around $21 in electricity and $10 - $15 in fish food. Not bad...

Your system looks cool. I look forward to seeing how your truck turns out!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
My system did have 3 koi and a mess of cheap feeder goldfish when I first started it last year. Had to move this Spring. Sold them all for $100 on Craigslist. Paid for the food, fish, and electricity for the year.

I now have 7 Sarassa Comet goldfish 5 Shibunkin Comet Goldfish.

In the next 5 years or so I plan to build out a massive greenhouse to put in some tropical fruit trees and a massive aquaponics system! The thermal mass of aquaponics regulates the temps in a well designed/positioned greenhouse wonderfully. I will then grow out some food fish in a side tank that the kids can't see. For now they enjoy their pets.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

My duaghter started naming all the fishes. It was hard to cook the tilapia after that. Getting into rainbow trout this year. I did a rice patch conversion using Louisiana craw fish in a third world environment and it was successful.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
My duaghter started naming all the fishes. It was hard to cook the tilapia after that. Getting into rainbow trout this year. I did a rice patch conversion using Louisiana craw fish in a third world environment and it was successful.
That is pretty cool. You have to be a master of your craft to be successful in all of those growing environments.

I was planning on living down in Mobile, AL until 2020 or so... so when I built my system I left it open year round. Now I am up in Virginia and I have to turn it into a greenhouse.

I have around 10g of fish feed getting poured into the system spread out 4 times a day. Stepping up the feed as the fish grow. These things grow FAST when the water temps are hovering around 80deg F.

Some of them are longer than my hand already and I just got them back in July.

Here are some pics of my fish... I just ran out and took them for you. lol

IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
They like planting things out and look at the fish several times a day.

Other than that they just.... hang out when I am adding water... hold the food as I harvest it... or take the caterpillars off of the plants and release them elsewhere I the yard so that I won't feed them to the fish. lol

They seem to love it.

I love the black background of the tank when combined with colorful fish. It really makes them stand out in full sunlight.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Don’t stress it regarding the environment. To be honest I appreciate this type of involvement. I was hoping I would get more people involved. I teach kids in grade school about this alternative. I feel that if we teach all kids regarding this type of sustainable environment, so that we can change the garbage we eat.