Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Do any of you do anything to remember or track the trips and trails you have been on?

For the last couple of years I have been making "trail plates" for the Jeep trails that I went on. I'd make one for my son (he had a large collection of them stuck to his bunk beds) as well as one for each of the rigs that went on the trail with us that day.

With our recent trip to Death Valley being our first Overland Trip, I decided to make a plate up for each of the major points of interest on our trip. Here is a photo of a Colorado Trial plate and a California Overland plate.

They are laser engraved on 1/8 Baltic Birch and measure a little over 3x1.5 inches. On the Trail plates, I will sometimes put the trails high and low rating on them instead of the dates.

I display all of mine at work using a magnet on the back to stick them to my cubical wall and the hook side of velcro to attach them to other things.

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Great ideal, those are pretty cool looking......I personally have been collecting window stickers for over 20 years now of the offroad trails, parks, white water rafting, and other places or things I've done. However each time the vehicle takes those stickers with it, and I have to start all over again. Which kinda sucks as several places have closed up and you just can't get them anymore. Since coming across OB and seeing all the rigs with patches, I think for now on I'm going to be doing that for my mementos, then I can keep them forever. I've even got my first one with my OB membership to start the collection. Good thing is it now gives me the excuse, not that I need an excuse, to do all the fun stuff again and pick up the patch this time around.....lol

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I've seen some of the patches, they are pretty cool. I just wonder how many of the places (beside the big tourist locations) will have patches? That's one of the things I like about my plates, since I custom make them I can make one for whatever location or trail I want.

killallninjas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Do any of you do anything to remember or track the trips and trails you have been on?

For the last couple of years I have been making "trail plates" for the Jeep trails that I went on. I'd make one for my son (he had a large collection of them stuck to his bunk beds) as well as one for each of the rigs that went on the trail with us that day.

With our recent trip to Death Valley being our first Overland Trip, I decided to make a plate up for each of the major points of interest on our trip. Here is a photo of a Colorado Trial plate and a California Overland plate.

They are laser engraved on 1/8 Baltic Birch and measure a little over 3x1.5 inches. On the Trail plates, I will sometimes put the trails high and low rating on them instead of the dates.

I display all of mine at work using a magnet on the back to stick them to my cubical wall and the hook side of velcro to attach them to other things.

Those look great. We've been collecting stickers. Some OCD part of me wishes they weren't all different shapes, sizes, and designs. That's what I like about your design. We've been putting them on the gear boxes. I figure that way, I won't lose them when it's time to move on to the next rig.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

@killallninjas Thanks. Consistency from badge to badge is also a plus about making my own. Also, I'm not personally fond of stickers.