Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

When becoming a member on the website it is 39.99 Dollars, when becoming a member in the app it is 62 GBP how is this so?

Also Founder Members are meant to get this free, I joined in 2019 which I believe is before the cut off, so unsure why I have to pay each year for membership, especially when I am also an investor.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the hint. The different prices shown is a known problem, which I had already discussed with @Corrie earlier this year. The problem is that with every price change it takes time to make changes on the app stores. And once pricing is changed on the store and in the app stores, it changes for everyone automatically. If someone wants to upgrade now and is unsure about the pricing, it is best to send a short email to OB support, in my experience there are very helpful and quick answers.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Agreed and @Polaris Overland (Dave) raised it in in May as it caused problems signing up new members to the App. The problem is, it should not take 6 months to resolve this and the APP should be pulling its price from a central location so that it can be easily updated.

I have already sent a email a couple of days ago anyway and no response.

The other issue and this has been raised a few times is the request for Founder members (pre 2020) it think are meant to have kept there perpetual membership which on my account is not the case.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Agreed and @Polaris Overland (Dave) raised it in in May as it caused problems signing up new members to the App. The problem is, it should not take 6 months to resolve this and the APP should be pulling its price from a central location so that it can be easily updated.

I have already sent a email a couple of days ago anyway and no response.

The other issue and this has been raised a few times is the request for Founder members (pre 2020) it think are meant to have kept there perpetual membership which on my account is not the case.
I think that everyone involved in this project is doing a great job. It is just a small team and several major tasks to develop and run this platform. And then some of these tasks can take longer. That's just the way it is.

I understand that it can be annoying when it takes so long, but let's be honest, this is about leisure activities and not about something life-threatening where immediate response is required, right?

I am sure that if we are a little patient, a solution will be found and you will get an answer to your questions. In the meantime we just go out and explore.

Just my point of view,
Bjoern

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

All perfectly valid, but and here is the but..

Overland Bound is no longer just a community, it went corp and has investors.. If this was the correct or not correct way that's another discussion. This means that there is a level of accountability required to shareholders.

From the business point I can fully understand the lack of drive to not fix the over charging in the App.. It brings in more revenue, but the platform is now based on membership numbers and will be judged on this going forwards. Really this needs a bit more of a focus, as this is effecting drawing in new members.

Hats off to the crowd developing the App in the background, it still needs a stream of new members to make it worth while.

The challenge is to keep the current member base happy too. In West Europe how many members are in the UK ?? 1000+ how many are active ?? about 30-40 max. This also apply's in Europe. Very different to the US in both cases.

Maybe I value my investment to much.! But yes get out and adventure.

Reactions: zgfiredude

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
When becoming a member on the website it is 39.99 Dollars, when becoming a member in the app it is 62 GBP how is this so?

Also Founder Members are meant to get this free, I joined in 2019 which I believe is before the cut off, so unsure why I have to pay each year for membership, especially when I am also an investor.
We don’t control app pricing except the US price. All other prices are set by Apple/Google.

Original Members get more functionality now, not less. There are subscription gates for premium features. I won’t go into the costs to us associated with those features, but without subscriptions, they don’t exist.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

We don’t control app pricing except the US price. All other prices are set by Apple/Google.

Original Members get more functionality now, not less. There are subscription gates for premium features. I won’t go into the costs to us associated with those features, but without subscriptions, they don’t exist.
Umm not a very helpful answer to be honest.

You do control the pricing on the Google side that is for sure. All this is done via the Google subscription API. Understanding subscriptions - Play Console Help

I'm not arguing the premium features on the App either. What I am arguing is until I renewed in the App I was not even a member on the forum.

Really @Michael that was a bit of a cop out answer, or is it really that you don't have the skill set in house to fully have all this working.? If so say so, because certainly I personally am in a position to be able to help as this is my background.