Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

First one is at Blue Knob SP and second is near Prince Gallitzin SP

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Anyone familiar with the Elk viewing area on Winslow Hill in Benezette? Specifically is it gated to traffic before 8am? The 8am is their listed opening (office?)

I'll be passing through around sunrise friday morning, wondering if I'm early can I pull in to await sunrise?

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Anyone familiar with the Elk viewing area on Winslow Hill in Benezette? Specifically is it gated to traffic before 8am? The 8am is their listed opening (office?)

I'll be passing through around sunrise friday morning, wondering if I'm early can I pull in to await sunrise?
I believe the 8 am is for the visitor center. I do nit recall seeing any gate

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Joe from South New Jersey.

Area of interest:
State Forests: Buchanan (RT), Delaware (B1), Forbes (RT), Loyalsock (B2), Michaux (B2), Pinchot (B2), and Tuscarora (B2) in Pennsylvania.​
Brendan T Byrne (HC), Jenny Jump (HC), Stokes (HC), Wharton (B2) in New Jersey.​
RT = road trip​
HC = hike + camp​
B1 = backpacked 1 night​
B2 = backpacked 2 nights​
Type of involvement:
soft-roading, over-landing, road-trips​

Type of vehicle:
2001 Honda CR-V 4WD EX (stock)​

Your ability to get out:
Once every other month​

Any areas of interest:
hiking, backpacking, countryside events​
Areas of outdoor interest:
navigation, bushcraft, bushwhacking, solitude​
Interest in meetups or group rides:
Mainly solo. Occasionally I’ll invite acquaintances or friends to introduce them to the outdoors if they have a genuine interest.​

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looks like most all the State Forests have issued warnings about ice and treacherous conditions on the state forest roads.

Remember to pack tire chains and be prepared to spend the night.

They do not maintain the forest roads and do not offer towing.

If you get stuck...it is on your terms to get out. And local towing companies may tell you to wait til the spring...that is a long way away at this point.

Be careful out there. Ice has no friends.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Looks like most all the State Forests have issued warnings about ice and treacherous conditions on the state forest roads.
Was really hoping to either get out down here in VA, or make the trip up there to BESF to take advantage of the long weekend for some trailer camping and hiking. We'd already squashed the idea with the dangerously cold temps. Hiking for just 2-4 hours while worrying about keeping the dogs healthy then spending the other 20-22 hours in the trailer just doesn't sound fun...beyond also exploring by driving around. Now add the copious snow, some ice, and high winds forecast around the entire region Sunday into Monday? Nope...definitely not heading a couple hundred miles from home even if they weren't calling for single digits Saturday night!

Be safe, folks.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Anyone got any road condition reports for any if the state forest roads?

We took a ride on some township dirt/gravel roads that actually get winter maintenance...and the North facing slopes and shaded areas are an ice rink.

They were at about the 1200 ft elevation mark.

We spent some time driving through Cameron, Elk, Jefferson,Clearfield and Cambria counties and all if the forest roads I saw at elevation had the shiny stuff on them. We did not venture on any though.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Looks like some are getting out. That is great. Hoping to head out myself soon.

Over on the Facebook some are getting out too

Reactions: Dusther210

Caustis

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bethlehem, PA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Golembowski
Hey devil, thanks for all the work you've done on this thread.

I'm still new to both the forums here and overlanding in general. When I joined in March of 2020, a week later everything changed. But now I am in a position where I can take part.

Anyone have any trips planned or a suggestion for a trail to get the feet wet without much as a solo with no recovery gear? It's on my list of basics to purchase to get started.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hey devil, thanks for all the work you've done on this thread.

I'm still new to both the forums here and overlanding in general. When I joined in March of 2020, a week later everything changed. But now I am in a position where I can take part.

Anyone have any trips planned or a suggestion for a trail to get the feet wet without much as a solo with no recovery gear? It's on my list of basics to purchase to get started.
Pick a state forest near you.

I strongly suggest going to Bald Eagle as you can dwell right into many types of off pavement travel. It is centrally located. And enough people use it that if you do find yourself in a jamb...someone may eventually come by.

Download the day use map...email for a paper copy...or get a Purple Lizard map.

I shared many routes on all my different threads.

Check them out...get a map...fuel up...pack a lunch...go adventure.

When you get a more specific area you are headed, I will gladly try to be more specific.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got out to Tuscarora for a scouting report.

Attachments

Reactions: Dusther210