Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Has anyone else talked with a ranger or office personnel lately?

We were visited by a ranger on our last trip. The conversation turned to the popularity of the motorized sites and the current situation of people wanting to be overlanders.

He made mention that the motorized sites would be going to the same reservation system the state parks use and that a fee is planned to be added to the motorized sites.

Main reason...people requesting a permit and then the sites going unused while people want to use them.

Wish people in all aspects of current life, would respect the process and use things appropriately.

Just curious if others have heard this.

It is that time of year where state parks are overrun and we head much further into the forest...but even there people are much more common now.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Has anyone else talked with a ranger or office personnel lately?

We were visited by a ranger on our last trip. The conversation turned to the popularity of the motorized sites and the current situation of people wanting to be overlanders.

He made mention that the motorized sites would be going to the same reservation system the state parks use and that a fee is planned to be added to the motorized sites.

Main reason...people requesting a permit and then the sites going unused while people want to use them.

Wish people in all aspects of current life, would respect the process and use things appropriately.

Just curious if others have heard this.

It is that time of year where state parks are overrun and we head much further into the forest...but even there people are much more common now.
This is the first I’m hearing of it for PA. But it sounds like the system NJ has.

I can’t remember the fee for NJ, but it is between 5-20$. I think for most people it’s enough that if they spend the money they’ll be there.

But I think this is a result of the states trying to make everything more accessible. Northern NJ essentially has zero unpaved roads and many of the sites in PA I’ve seen seem so manicured it’s so difficult to feel remote and disconnected

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Well, the popularity of the hobby hit again.

This time it is Loyalsock state forest.

They’re now alternating what sites are open. Jan 1 to June 30 even sites are open. July 1 to Dec 31 odd numbered sites are open.

Masten Campground and Bridle Trail being open year round.

Guess the other grouped campsites are odd/ even also.
FB_IMG_1656000912581.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Found something to do with maps(my favorite thing)

Purple Lizard released their 4th edition of Bald Eagle.

There is a few changes for sure...but checkout how many are on this very small area.

4th
FB_IMG_1667320248609.jpg

2nd edition
IMG_20221101_122238.jpg

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Forest Report:

Rothrock State Forest has zero ice. It was flurrying last night and at elevations over 2000 feet it was laying at the edges of the road, grassy/leafy areas.

Lots and lots of trees down. Most where cut away from the roads...looks like many more thinking of taking the fall.

Would assume BESF, Tuscarora, Michaux and Buchanan to be the same. As we drove past some north facing vistas...it seemed Moshannon had some snow on the ground...

What this means for me is, if we get a decent snow, there is no underlying ice and we can adventure with out the thought of sliding to our deaths...

We went past Tussy Mountain Sky Resort. This weather has been hard or winter sports. You could see snow on the slopes...but they appeared to be closed.

Porcupines are everywhere...they were bad in Tuscarora...and looks like Rothrock has a good supply too.

Site 2 was being used by some car campers and they put porta John's at the Colerain Parking lot.

Spruce Creek Tavern for dinner. We got there just before the mad rush. Food was great. Note to any TrailWhales...when you park there and others can not quite stay in their lines...you will need a spotter to get out of the parking lot...

Applejak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Shillington, PA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Zimmerman
Area of interest: State forest, off road park
Type of involvement: Offroading, camping, learning
Type of vehicle: 2004 Jeep Liberty, stock for now
Your ability to get out: just need a few days notice
Any areas of interest: photography, hiking
Areas of outdoor interest: waterfalls, vistas, natural phenomena, fire towers
Interest in meetups or group rides: 100% interested

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Judging by the fact that all the most popular sites are reserved, the new reservation system has made it easier to overland in PA and also didn't push near the right amount of people away from them.

I understand it is a holiday weekend...but last year there were many open spots, and in years prior, very few used at all.

Interesting time here in PA.

Anxious to find out how many people were looking to go to a state park and when they were booked, usually at around 40 bucks a night, they saw the availability and 10 bucks and jumped on it. Interested to see the comments on camping groups after this weekend.

All that said, it has been crickets in the PA forum here for some time.

Anyone heading out into the masses this weekend? We are heading out tonight til Monday.

It is also free fish weekend...so, should be fun.

The new PA Wilds BDR-X is also getting into full swing

Be careful out there!

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

It would be interested to see if those reserved sites are actually occupied. Here in South Jersey, I often camp in Wharton S.F. When I go on the reservation system website, many sites are often shown as reserved, but when I'm there camping, there is nobody! Sometimes, while taking my weekend ride thru the forest, I'll stop at a campground & look at reservation website & what's shown as reserved versus physically occupied sites is drastically different. It makes me wonder if the State "blacks out" sites.

nx80000

Rank I

Contributor II

Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2MUF
Area of interest: State forest
Type of involvement: Offroading, camping
Type of vehicle: 5th Gen 4Runner, small lift
Your ability to get out: 1-2 weeks notice
Any areas of interest: photography, hiking, biking
Areas of outdoor interest: waterfalls, vistas, fire towers
Interest in meetups or group rides: Yes

• Love

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Any one going to be at MAOF (Mid Atlantic Overland Festival) near Huntingdon, PA?

Looks like I may be able to make it for Saturday into Sunday!

Hope everyone is having a great adventure season. We just spent 21 days camping and exploring in PA State Forests.

7 days in Tuscarora, 7 days in Buchanan, and 7 days in Forbes.

I got lots of new information/opinions/scouting info...but it seems the interest level here has died down some!

Last edited:

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Any one going to be at MAOF (Mid Atlantic Overland Festival) in Huntington, PA?

Looks like I may be able to make it for Saturday into Sunday!

Hope everyone is having a great adventure season. We just spent 21 days camping and exploring in PA State Forests.

7 days in Tuscarora, 7 days in Buchanan, and 7 days in Forbes.

I got lots of new information/opinions/scouting info...but it seems the interest level here has died down some!
We were all geared up for MAOF...then had to move our big trip back two months due to both the inSANE snowpack out west, and then my wife's job. So we won't make it this year, unfortunately. We're heading out for 4 whole weeks to combine both the Continental Divide Trail an WYBDR with some additional time in the Whitefish Range, and exploring the Black Hills and hitting Badlands on the way home.

Sounds like a nice 3 weeks, but...ugh...the heat and such have been a non-starter for us and the dogs. We were supposed to head to our favorite spot on the Rapidan River after work this Thursday...nope. Heat index of 105 expected on Friday, and I dunno how much water is even flowing at the moment. So we'll hole up in the house, throw the ball for the dogs early in the AM, and get to packing the truck up for the trip.

We still fully intend on spending some good time in the woods up there (and will 100% use the awesome resources you've provided). This year has just been one project after another, though. We also sold our Sequoia in anticipation of getting a new Grenadier...and I really regret selling as we passed on the Gren. Whoops. Oh well. So we're somewhat self-limited in how tight of a space we can now get to :laughing:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
After a few years researching and sharing info about "overlanding" in PA I made some friends...and this past weekend got to meet them in real life.

And after years of being asked questions about where to go, I lead a group in a trail ride.

@DesmosDromos of Moods of Overland YouTube was a long for the ride and made a great video showcasing it.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
After a few years researching and sharing info about "overlanding" in PA I made some friends...and this past weekend got to meet them in real life.

And after years of being asked questions about where to go, I lead a group in a trail ride.

@DesmosDromos of Moods of Overland YouTube was a long for the ride and made a great video showcasing it.

Awesome!!

• Love

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Getting kinda over the book of faces and thought I would head back here to see if there is any renewed interest in Pennsylvania State Forests.

I see very little talk about them anymore, but have seen there are some new members from the area.

I started an informational channel on YouTube, just for something for my son and I to do together and try to help new adventurers out.

Here is a video I did from a camping trip a couple weekends ago.

I have also got most of my routes completed. Just got to verify and add information to them.